• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Why does no TV show/anime make interesting INTP characters?

Vorthos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have returned from my lengthy absence from these forums (presumably to tremendous fanfare) to ask a question that's been bugging me for some time now: why are nearly all INTP characters so bland?

From my observations, there are four main types of INTP characters:

1) The meek scientist

-As the name suggests, the character is a scientist (or generally nerdy) who is meek. They are shy and quiet. If they get angry, they'll usually either not express it, or be passive-aggressive about it. They have little self-confidence, and are almost always a supporting or minor character. They're either too nice, or bitter and cynical.

2) The eccentric mentor

-They're nuts. ... That's about as much characterization as the eccentric professor gets. They may be extremely energetic or excitable, but will rarely express negative emotions.

3) The plot-device

-This character provides story-relevent information, but might as well be a computer due to lack of any real personality. They probably only exist to advance the plot.

4) The inhuman

-This character either isn't human, or displays so little emotion that they're a computer in all but form.

While these character types might be able to be developed throughout the series, and can certainly be realistic characters, these character archetypes are boring. While there might be some INTPs in real life that are like the character types I've listed, there still should be a significant number of INTPs that are nothing like those characters. Who says INTPs have to be quiet? Why are they almost always scientists? Can't they be in a combat role on a team, or be a protagonist? Why do they always seem like they're tired?

From what I've seen, the only INTP characters I feel break the archetypes are L from Death Note, and Rintarou Okabe from Steins;Gate (I type him as INTP).

-L is slightly quiet, but he's far from meek. He is quite confident. He isn't a professor or a scientist. While he is a bit odd, he has character flaws, and isn't completely emotionless (though he doesn't display emotion often).

-Okabe is a bit larger-than-life while using his Hououin Kyouma persona, but even the fact that he even uses a persona is more interesting than most INTP characters. He also has flaws, but is quite outgoing and energetic. Furthermore, he's the protagonist, so that's a treat.

Can anybody help explain why INTP characters are usually so lacklustre? Even examples of other well-done INTPs would be great.

(Note: I reject the notion that all INTPs are boring, or simply aren't protagonist material. Some maybe, but not nearly all of them)

rmrf

Watch Mr Robot if you want a cool INTP protagonist.

Also with Okabe, I initially typed him as INTP, but I have changed my mind and now think he's a cross between INTJ and ENTP (the Hououin Kyouma persona is ENTP)

oswinoswald

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not sure, i still trying to figure out but i think that Oreki Houtarou from Hyouka is an INTP. Some people may say he is INTJ but c'mon i think he is almost an intp stereotype.
Lazy, analytical, logical and etc.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I initially thought Walter White from "Breaking Bad" was an INTJ, but now I'm leaning INTP. And he is very, VERY interesting.

(Also, a perfect example of enneagram 6 disintegrating to 3... but in a very slow-burn disintegration that takes 5 seasons to get to its lowest lows)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I initially thought Walter White from "Breaking Bad" was an INTJ, but now I'm leaning INTP. And he is very, VERY interesting.

(Also, a perfect example of enneagram 6 disintegrating to 3... but in a very slow-burn disintegration that takes 5 seasons to get to its lowest lows)

Many type him ENTJ but perhaps he was simply an INTP acting through his mirror. Maybe this at least partly explains why so many of his carefully orchestrated plans still seem to backfire (eventually).

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Many type him ENTJ but perhaps he was simply an INTP acting through his mirror. Maybe this at least partly explains why so many of his carefully orchestrated plans still seem to backfire (eventually).
That's a big part of why I stopped thinking he was an INTJ. He seems like the man with the plan, in a lot of ways, but it's only when you compare him with Gus (an actual INTJ) that you realize that he has zero Ni, and is not as good at planning as he thinks he is. He actually strikes me as extremely short-sighted in later seasons.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's a big part of why I stopped thinking he was an INTJ. He seems like the man with the plan, in a lot of ways, but it's only when you compare him with Gus (an actual INTJ) that you realize that he has zero Ni, and is not as good at planning as he thinks he is. He actually strikes me as extremely short-sighted in later seasons.

Yes. I realize this is a stereotype, but the INTJ's talent for foreseeing possible contingencies is not strong in White. In fact, he often misses potential outcomes of situations in an almost comical manner. He's better at orchestrating elaborate solutions on the fly, for instance when he used the phone trick to get rid of Hank when he had Walter and Jesse cornered in the RV.

Duffy

Watch Mr Robot if you want a cool INTP protagonist.

Also with Okabe, I initially typed him as INTP, but I have changed my mind and now think he's a cross between INTJ and ENTP (the Hououin Kyouma persona is ENTP)

I actually think Okabe is some feeler of sorts. I suspect eNFP. He puts on a Mad Scientist Persona, which looks xNTP. I don't think he has any INTJ in him at all. I'd even say ExFJ is a more appropriate tying over any NT. For an INTJ in this series, I'd look at Kurisu, which I think is an IxTJ 6w5 of some sort -- she's more of a classic rational, both in temperament and thought.

Also, good call on Mr. Robot protagonist as INTP. Me think he's INTP 5w6 (strong 6 wing). I actually think he's kind of annoying and not all that cool.

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Xerxes Break from Pandora Hearts is a pretty good INTP character - in the manga at least he has a detailed backstory and character development arc. He's a bit eccentric, but is mostly quite a serious character.

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's been years since I've last watched Naruto, however I believe Shikamaru makes a wonderful example of an INTP. I remember him as being an apathetic chess playing badass, but that could be far off.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I don't know how "cool" you consider this, but I rather suspect Hiccup from the How to Train Your Dragon movies/TV show is an INTP. He conquers dragons through the power of knowledge and invents stuff to help him ride on his dragon.

rmrf

Gale on Breaking Bad, even though he wasn't a major character, he's still very cool and unambiguously INTP

Vorthos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had actualy forgotten about Gale. He's a pretty interesting character, shame he's just supporting. Though he does seem to simply be the eccentric professor character in a non-mentor role.

As for Walt though, are you sure he's INTP? He seems to only be an INTP when forced to act fast. I think it's possible he's just an overconfident INTJ who isn't actually that great at planning. He seems to be driven more by a desire for power than anything else, so that makes me somewhat suspicios of the INTP typing

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
There's actually a lot more interesting INTPs than you might think: Sherlock Holmes, Mr. Fatastic, The Vision, Dr. Strange, etc. You juse got to keep looking.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
I think it is because a lot of people do not und ersatz the exact perception of the Intp, they know about it, but I believe that they feel like it will not make the story more interesting

I'm not sure, i still trying to figure out but i think that Oreki Houtarou from Hyouka is an INTP. Some people may say he is INTJ but c'mon i think he is almost an intp stereotype. Lazy, analytical, logical and etc.
I'm not sure if you are understanding MBTI or not but i would tell you that both INTJs and INTPs are stereotypes,analytical,logical and etc. So saying that oreki houtarou is an INTP due to that isn't enough first oreki's type of lazy is like INTJs not INTPs as if he doesn't have to do it,he won't,, if he has to do it he would do it as fast as possible , second it seems that he is Ni-Te user and not Ti-Ne as i remember that he said "I don't know how i came up with those theories my self "
That was a proof that he is a Ni user + No INTP would say that
It also appears that oreki wasn't interested in theories or doing something that would take much effort and time so it proves that oreki isn't an INTP
Also oreki was thinking if he is special or not and he was thinking about his character and that appears in INTJs more than INTPs
So oreki houtarou is INTJ

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Oh, just a reminder. People in anime tend to be such psychologically unhealthy characters, that it is almost impossible to type anyone in them!

Oh, what about Balsa from seirei no moribito. Might also be INTP!

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hachiman Hikigaya from Oregairu is an INTP character that accurately portrays the more darker parts of INTP and social interaction in a character driven narrative slice of life, and interactions and relationships with an ESFP and INTJ.

I originally pegged him as an INTJ, but Iwatani Naofumi in Rising of the shield hero is an INTP who gets drafted into saving another world, but ends up being falsely accused of rape. So he has to fight against an entire nation of people who hate him, and prevent the apocalypse. It explores politics, human nature, economics, high fantasy with video game like mechanics. I totally recommend this.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gale on Breaking Bad, even though he wasn't a major character, he's still very cool and unambiguously INTP

Old post, but yeah agreed --- of the Breaking Bad characters, Walter White is so control-freakish that I could not identify him as a P of any kind (INTPs are by nature detached, and typically if they get controlling at all it's not really the personal kind of ongoing control-freak of people and every freaking detail like WW got)... I am not really sure why anyone would view him as an INTP. I had an INTJ supervisor and they were so damn similar, honestly; my supervisor ended up having a heart attack and being hospitalized because he was trying to grip everything so tightly and it was lifechanging for him... but he had become domineering, self-absorbed, controlling, paranoid, took other people's failures personally (as if they were trying to undermine his plans when they made a mistake), etc. SO much the same as Walter.

. I think the early Walter White had become too domesticated and buried all of his desires and plans for his life for whatever reason... he looked unambitious, quiet, nice, friendly, democratic, etc... and this is why he has such a dark swing when he finally tastes that deep reservoir of drive and realizes what he had given up all those years; he completely goes nuts in the other direction, never wanting to lose himself again or live an aimless life as he had been for so long. But he doesn't have a ton of practice in being more directive or hard-core organization because for so many years Skyler has directed his life. If he had been around longer, maybe he would have settled in to a more relaxed, self-assured pattern; the events of Breaking Bad take place over a two year period or so; he had no time to become practiced at making his plans nor to somehow integrate everything into a more mature being.

...while meanwhile Gale was probably the character I could most identify with. He's easy-going (probably has some kind of 9 wing in there, he's amicable and doesn't like to pick conflicts even when he has an opinion), is a little clueless about people, good-natured, in love with the knowledge and exploration (very TP), smart and well-read in a variety of subjects, quietly candid, non-intrusive, and his detachment and somewhat trusting nature is what gets him in trouble at the end. He expects everyone to live and let live and is too detached to predict the kind of craziness Walter can unleash... he's easily exploited by more controlling people. Assuming he's INTP, he's at the happy 9ish more people-friendly end, versus the dark brooding loner type.

I had actualy forgotten about Gale. He's a pretty interesting character, shame he's just supporting. Though he does seem to simply be the eccentric professor character in a non-mentor role.

As for Walt though, are you sure he's INTP? He seems to only be an INTP when forced to act fast. I think it's possible he's just an overconfident INTJ who isn't actually that great at planning. He seems to be driven more by a desire for power than anything else, so that makes me somewhat suspicios of the INTP typing

Yeah. I'll just be undiplomatic and say no way in hell, honestly, of Walter being an INTP, if typing is to mean anything at all.

If you end up reading this a few years after the fact, check out "Better Call Saul" Season 4 (I think). Any more bit of Gale is better than nothing at all, he was such a great character. I can't quite say he was completely an innocent victim because ultimately he was still cooking meth to sell to drug addicts for profit, but out of everyone involved in the "business" on the show, he was one of the most benign. And I suppose it was more his self-claimed libertarianism that led him that way, of "Well, if they are going to buy the drugs regardless, then that is their choice, and I can at least provide them a good product for their self-exploration."