• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Why does no TV show/anime make interesting INTP characters?

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hey, if it counts for anything, some of my favorite characters EVER are INTP... Donatello, Egon, and many more. So what if they are nerdy, nervy, completely stereotyped? A cool character is a cool character, and that's that.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
People are always debating as to whether Daria is INTP or INTJ

People are always debating as to whether Sherlock in BBC is INTP or INTJ

People are always debating as to whether Sheldon in Big Bang Thoery is INTP or INTJ

So even if we say they're INTP ... are they really? >>

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Michiru/Sailor Neptune is probably an INTP. I like her.

Last edited:

wildmoon

MBTI Type
NTP
Enneagram
I think it's because narratives generally centre around the protagonist's growth journey, and the growth journey for an INTP is different to many other types. (A lot of the protagonists in my own stories are either INTPs or ENTPs, because that's where I'm coming from.)
Also, all characters are pawns to the story and need to be manipulated by the writer for the sake of the story. An INTP's response to external events might make it harder to use them like this. Like, imagine if one of us was targeted by Voldemort? My first thought would be something like 'f*** it I' m going home.' Or something random. Like. Lick Voldemort on the face. Just lick him on the face. I wouldn't do it. But I'd start laughing and he'd think I was crazy and get freaked out. Gotta keep him guessing, ya know.
Anyway
Anti-plot slice of life stories seem to have more INTPs than other genres. Also comedies. Mai from Nichijou might be an INTP, and she's iconic.
Could we consider Mr Bean an INTP?
I like to think of Shigure from Fruits Basket as an INTP. He's the puppet master of the whole plot, but most characters never realise it because of his playful demeanour and the fact that he stays home all day writing novels from his bean bag. But he's so powerful behind the facade. He's the type of character that's usually claimed by Ni users but he's so clearly a Ne and Ti user that I think it's fair for us to claim him.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it's because narratives generally centre around the protagonist's growth journey, and the growth journey for an INTP is different to many other types. (A lot of the protagonists in my own stories are either INTPs or ENTPs, because that's where I'm coming from.)
Also, all characters are pawns to the story and need to be manipulated by the writer for the sake of the story. An INTP's response to external events might make it harder to use them like this. Like, imagine if one of us was targeted by Voldemort? My first thought would be something like 'f*** it I' m going home.' Or something random. Like. Lick Voldemort on the face. Just lick him on the face. I wouldn't do it. But I'd start laughing and he'd think I was crazy and get freaked out. Gotta keep him guessing, ya know.
Anyway
Anti-plot slice of life stories seem to have more INTPs than other genres. Also comedies. Mai from Nichijou might be an INTP, and she's iconic.
Could we consider Mr Bean an INTP?
I like to think of Shigure from Fruits Basket as an INTP. He's the puppet master of the whole plot, but most characters never realise it because of his playful demeanour and the fact that he stays home all day writing novels from his bean bag. But he's so powerful behind the facade. He's the type of character that's usually claimed by Ni users but he's so clearly a Ne and Ti user that I think it's fair for us to claim him.

As an ENTP I'd subject myself to Voldemort simply out of curiosity and the fascinating challenge and wanting to understand him. And if any opportunity presents itself, perhaps claim some power and turn on him later before I become disposable. Makes for more interesting shit when you're crazy and risky. Or just all in all the humor, and messing with people. I mean fuck it, I'll be at risk anyway might as well play the game and see where I can take it or if I can beat it.

An INTP don't wanna expend that energy even if they're intrigued I'd assume. At least not at much risk. And more of their life is still in their head, rather than outside of it. Same with their thoughts. Protagonists general externalize a lot more to keep entertainment.

wildmoon

MBTI Type
NTP
Enneagram
Oh I just remembered, I think Fagin from Oliver is an INTP, at least in the 1968 film. His song ‘reviewing the situation’ is such a mood haha.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My favorite INTP lol, Death from Discworld