• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stephen Colbert Officially Typed On The Late Night Show As INFP!

á´…eparted

passages
A moment of funny is not the same as being defined as a "funny person".

Of course I have heard an INFJ say something amusing...but renowned for their hilarity, they are not.

Is it impossible? No, not any more than an ESTJ being renowned for their poetry.

I do know a few that are funny people in general.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would have nevet guessed.

I have never been able to notice infp males. They are freaking chameleons. Funny because i dont know ehat causes them to be this way.

They are introverts and their dom is Fi. Which means they are not very vulberable to social pressure and the last thing they'd do to fit in is pretend.

So why are they are chameleonic. The males. The femalea not so much.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If i ever successfully manage to type an infp male it would be theough elimination.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Shit. I'm awful at typing. In retrospect, the typing makes sense.

(And though we don't typically buy into test results for confirmation, it's at least a huge corroborator.)

So, it's pretty neat. :popc1:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Still don't like him. I tend to agree with his politics but something about him just pisses me off. Can't watch him.

Me too. I like Jon Stewart. You'd think I would therefore like Colbert.

I could never get into the Colbert Report. I usually love that sort of satire/parody. He doesn't piss me off, but he doesn't really make me laugh either. I'm not sure why but his show bored me. I like the idea and concept of his show, but the final product fell short for me.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I watched the video. I don't like the attention MBTI got from it and keeps getting as a personality assessor. It sheds more negatives on more types than positive on those types.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not a surprise. People still try to type Lennon as NTP.

I'd say Colbert is EII, Ne subtype in socionics

Crabs

Permabanned
Me too. I like Jon Stewart. You'd think I would therefore like Colbert.

I could never get into the Colbert Report. I usually love that sort of satire/parody. He doesn't piss me off, but he doesn't really make me laugh either. I'm not sure why but his show bored me. I like the idea and concept of his show, but the final product fell short for me.

Their style of humor is totally different. It's the exact opposite for me. I think Colbert is funny, despite his political views, and Jon Stewart is an obnoxious, humorless blowhard. Nothing about his show or style of delivery is funny to me. He just yells his opinions and smirks at the camera a lot like he can barely contain his laughter at his own sub-par jokes. Colbert, on the other hand, is a master of his craft; as much of an actor as he is a comedian. His jokes are clever and quick-witted. Overall, he's much more creative than Jon Stewart.

That's just my two cents though. :wink:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Their style of humor is totally different. It's the exact opposite for me. I think Colbert is funny, despite his political views, and Jon Stewart is an obnoxious, humorless blowhard. Nothing about his show or style of delivery is funny to me. He just yells his opinions and smirks at the camera a lot like he can barely contain his laughter at his own sub-par jokes. Colbert, on the other hand, is a master of his craft; as much of an actor as he is a comedian. His jokes are clever and quick-witted. Overall, he's much more creative than Jon Stewart.

That's just my two cents though. :wink:

Yes, their styles are different, but both are share a strong satirical streak, which I enjoy in many forms--Colbert simply doesn't do much for me.

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Damn! This Colbert guy is pretty damn punny. I can see why people claim he is an ENTP. Yeah, I could see xNFP at least.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think INFP can be one of the more difficult types to recognize, particularly when they're older than their 30s.

Crabs

Permabanned
Yes, their styles are different, but both are share a strong satirical streak, which I enjoy in many forms--Colbert simply doesn't do much for me.

Fair enough.

Damn! This Colbert guy is pretty damn punny. I can see why people claim he is an ENTP. Yeah, I could see xNFP at least.

I'm not entirely convinced that Colbert is an INFP, but I'm no typology expert. Though he does have an NF vibe at times. I could definitely see him as an ENFP.

I think INFP can be one of the more difficult types to recognize, particularly when they're older than their 30s.

I would agree with this. [MENTION=22067]riva[/MENTION] made a good point about the male INFP chameleon. It's a survival adaptation of sorts, I think, due to rigid gender norms.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OrangeAppled why? I would think an INFJ would have a very interesting sense of humor, I would think it would be all about connections in funny and odd ways as a comedian. Some people argue Jerry Seinfeld is an INFJ, and with his humor you can see how he usually posts connections, I don't think he's funny 100% of the time, but Ne humor isn't everything either.

Face it, Perceiver dominant types aren't all in demand.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Still don't like him. I tend to agree with his politics but something about him just pisses me off. Can't watch him.

This post hurts me.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I FUCKING KNEW IT! I knew it so hard!

I thought it was really obvious, but then I'd see people typing him all sorts of other ways. :shrug:
Yes! This was my reaction as well. My impression was always that he was an INFP who turned his ESTJ shadow into a character.

Oh INFJs exist, they just are not funny, at all. People who take themselves that seriously rarely are.... There is a reason no one suspects any comedian is an INFJ, yet it is not terribly unusual for a comedian to be typed as INFP.
I'm pretty sure Marc Maron is an INFJ, for the record. Then again, the vast majority of his humor actually comes from his taking things too seriously (but being self-aware and self-deprecating about it).

IME whether you're funny or not has nothing to do with type. Maybe whether you're naturally quick-witted has something to do with type, but after some practice you can't tell the difference anymore.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I think there is a case to be made for INFP (I dug most of this up on Wikipedia) :

Colbert claims that in his early life he had difficulty making friends. He spent a lot of time reading fantasy books and playing D&D. He credits roleplaying games as his first experience with acting and improvising.

He said when he started acting, he found he liked performing, even when no one came to the show. When he started, he mostly did experimental pieces and drama, and wasn't interested in comedy.

When he started touring with Second City and met Paul Dinello [who he would go on to collaborate with and befriend], Dinello thought Colbert was "uptight, pretentious, and cold" at first, while Colbert thought Dinello was "an illiterate thug".

I also think introverts are more likely to disappear completely into a character like Colbert did, while extraverts tend to just be characters [Like Stewart, an actual ENTP].

It's also worth remarking that almost all of Colbert's earliest TV credits, were as a writer, not performer.

Here's an interesting quote from Colbert, which makes him sound INFPish:

"I was 22 or 23 when I made a decision not to be actively Hamlet-like and miserable in my daily life, and the decision helped a lot," he said. "Living vitally is not easier than living morbidly -- it's just better. People are all we've got."

Also, if you think he's a Ti user before Fi user, watch his interview with Joe Biden. So sincere and heartfelt, and Colbert spends a lot of time talking about how he admires Joe Biden's authenticity. Also Late Show Colbert, has been very open about his faith, even having a Catholic discussion panel during his Pope episode. Which isn't terribly ENTPish.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also think introverts are more likely to disappear completely into a character like Colbert did, while extraverts tend to just be characters [Like Stewart, an actual ENTP].

i.e. Nimoy vs Shatner. Nimoy was really nothing like Spock but Shatner played Kirk as an exaggerated version of himself.

or Patton Oswalt, whose personality in interviews and "candid" scenarios is largely identical to his onstage persona.