User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which social media outlets do you actively use and enjoy?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Facebook

19 46.34%
  • Twitter

13 31.71%
  • Instagram

13 31.71%
  • Tumblr

8 19.51%
  • Youtube or Vine

20 48.78%
  • Reddit (non-lurker)

3 7.32%
  • Other

6 14.63%
  • I don't use social media

8 19.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
123 Last

Default Social Media - Love it or Hate it

I've seen comments around here on this more frequently over the past several days, mostly in the vein of "I hate facebook, it's stupid". It seems like, despite there being a strong use of social media in this era, there is still a subset of individuals who dislike it. Some it might be only certain forms of it, others it's across the board.

Personally I love social media. I think it's fantastic and has universally benefited society on the micro and macro scale. Not purely of course, but an overall benefit. I use facebook a significant amount, and it supplements my social wants and needs perfectly, and allows me to feel connected with many types of people in many different ways.

How do you feel about social media? What do you use, why or why not? Discuss.
    It is our duty to create meaning.

If only it were that simple.

I'm not sure why people hate it so much. You're not obligated to use it or anything. I have a Facebook for the sole purpose of when people post dance photos from the team and on the off chance someone would need to talk to me and didn't have my information (and stalking people is a nice bonus). I didn't vote for it in the poll because I wouldn't consider myself an active user.

Reddit and YouTube are my jam, though!
    To whom it may concern: https://www.typologycentral.com/foru...976-hello.html
    Likes N/A liked this post

Hate it and don't use it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It's been a net positive for me. It really simplifies the process of "keeping up with people" I don't see every day. I keep in touch daily with distant family members I would otherwise only see once a year or less. All the kids' grandparents get to keep up with their goings-on and see pictures of them regularly, without me really needing to go out of my way to make it happen. (This also means they bug me less, which is good.)

I wouldn't have learned about the roller derby team I joined in 2011 if not for reconnecting on Facebook with one of the team's founders who was an old elementary school friend of mine, and being a part of roller derby was a hugely life-changing thing for me although it's in my past now.

I find if you cultivate your friends list such that you're not interacting with dramatic/negative people very much or at all, most of the negatives fall away. That's just me, though.
    Likes wolfy, EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oh, also, since I'm putting a lot of funny stuff the kids say/do and pics of them and us on there, it's taken the place of having photos printed and putting them in albums, for me. I just get a SocialBook once a year or so, and there are my family journals and photo albums all in one spot.

MBTI
    yupp

I said facebook,twitter, and other. the forum is other. and even though sometimes i hate you all and want you all to disappear i'd miss you. and maybe you're not that terrible.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so :hi:
    Likes Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

You're not that terrible, too, prpl, and I'd miss you if you disappeared. I don't hate you that much. <3
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

I have accounts for all of the social media outlets listed, however I share very little (if anything) from my accounts. The two I most actively use and enjoy are Reddit and Instagram, which I mostly use to follow accounts and subreddits I enjoy.

I don't enjoy Facebook that much, but I keep my account there because it's an easy and common way of communicating with new and old friends. I'm mostly there for messenger.

I think social media is a wonderful thing. I'm just a passive user of it.
    Likes chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

oh and whoever voted they don't use social media is a liar, you're on a forum. its social and its media bam.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so :hi:
    Likes Ivy liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    oh and whoever voted they don't use social media is a liar, you're on a forum. its social and its media bam.
    Technically, this is a discussion board and the question listed specific "social media" outlets ie. Facebook, Twitter, etc. But, yes, I agree that this board could be considered a social outlet with media.