• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Social Media - Love it or Hate it

Which social media outlets do you actively use and enjoy?

• Total voters

á´…eparted

passages
I've seen comments around here on this more frequently over the past several days, mostly in the vein of "I hate facebook, it's stupid". It seems like, despite there being a strong use of social media in this era, there is still a subset of individuals who dislike it. Some it might be only certain forms of it, others it's across the board.

Personally I love social media. I think it's fantastic and has universally benefited society on the micro and macro scale. Not purely of course, but an overall benefit. I use facebook a significant amount, and it supplements my social wants and needs perfectly, and allows me to feel connected with many types of people in many different ways.

How do you feel about social media? What do you use, why or why not? Discuss.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I'm not sure why people hate it so much. You're not obligated to use it or anything. I have a Facebook for the sole purpose of when people post dance photos from the team and on the off chance someone would need to talk to me and didn't have my information (and stalking people is a nice bonus). I didn't vote for it in the poll because I wouldn't consider myself an active user.

Reddit and YouTube are my jam, though!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's been a net positive for me. It really simplifies the process of "keeping up with people" I don't see every day. I keep in touch daily with distant family members I would otherwise only see once a year or less. All the kids' grandparents get to keep up with their goings-on and see pictures of them regularly, without me really needing to go out of my way to make it happen. (This also means they bug me less, which is good.)

I wouldn't have learned about the roller derby team I joined in 2011 if not for reconnecting on Facebook with one of the team's founders who was an old elementary school friend of mine, and being a part of roller derby was a hugely life-changing thing for me although it's in my past now.

I find if you cultivate your friends list such that you're not interacting with dramatic/negative people very much or at all, most of the negatives fall away. That's just me, though.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh, also, since I'm putting a lot of funny stuff the kids say/do and pics of them and us on there, it's taken the place of having photos printed and putting them in albums, for me. I just get a SocialBook once a year or so, and there are my family journals and photo albums all in one spot.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I said facebook,twitter, and other. the forum is other. and even though sometimes i hate you all and want you all to disappear i'd miss you. and maybe you're not that terrible.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
You're not that terrible, too, prpl, and I'd miss you if you disappeared. I don't hate you that much. <3

Ingrid in grids

I have accounts for all of the social media outlets listed, however I share very little (if anything) from my accounts. The two I most actively use and enjoy are Reddit and Instagram, which I mostly use to follow accounts and subreddits I enjoy.

I don't enjoy Facebook that much, but I keep my account there because it's an easy and common way of communicating with new and old friends. I'm mostly there for messenger.

I think social media is a wonderful thing. I'm just a passive user of it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
oh and whoever voted they don't use social media is a liar, you're on a forum. its social and its media bam.

violett

oh and whoever voted they don't use social media is a liar, you're on a forum. its social and its media bam.

Technically, this is a discussion board and the question listed specific "social media" outlets ie. Facebook, Twitter, etc. But, yes, I agree that this board could be considered a social outlet with media.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Technically, this is a discussion board and the question listed specific "social media" outlets ie. Facebook, Twitter, etc. But, yes, I agree that this board could be considered a social outlet with media.

yeah but reddit is listed and is that not just a huge network of these?

- - - Updated - - -

wolfy

awsm
I enjoy facebook, it is an easy way to keep in touch with family and friends. And fb and instagram or insta as it is called Japan make for a fun creative outlet. I have a twitter account and youtube but am more of a reader, watcher.

violett

- - - Updated - - -

I have no idea about reddit, never used it. And (for the record) I dislike internet socializing on discussion boards because I prefer face to face social interaction. I don't use facebook because its an invasion of my privacy. I cancelled my account and haven't used it since the beginning of this year. If my family or freinds miss me or need to talk they can pick up the phone and dial my number.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I've seen comments around here on this more frequently over the past several days, mostly in the vein of "I hate facebook, it's stupid". It seems like, despite there being a strong use of social media in this era, there is still a subset of individuals who dislike it. Some it might be only certain forms of it, others it's across the board.

Personally I love social media. I think it's fantastic and has universally benefited society on the micro and macro scale. Not purely of course, but an overall benefit. I use facebook a significant amount, and it supplements my social wants and needs perfectly, and allows me to feel connected with many types of people in many different ways.

How do you feel about social media? What do you use, why or why not? Discuss.

I don't hate social media in any way. I don't hate facebook but don't use it. Why? I don't want to be involved in this flavor of problems. I can control what I put out there but clearly a lot of people can't and that can cause issues for me if it's someone that chooses to interact with me. Plus I don't want to keep up with people or get in touch with people.

I do have an account because my curling club used it exclusively for all the club information at one time. Now they have a website so, the issue is solved for me. Facebook itself is a fantastic platform with many positive uses for individuals and businesses and for that reason, I'm glad it exists.

That said, I love Twitter. It's the ultimate in efficiency and provides great reading material, as well as immediate information. That's what I want. Reddit as well.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am a very active Facebook user, for a lot of the reasons that [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION] mentioned -- makes it a lot easier to keep in touch with distant friends and family, and to know what they're up to. It's also easier to plan events or gatherings on Facebook than it would be via, say, group texts or emails. Not to mention, it saves a lot of time to just post a big announcement on Facebook instead of trying to remember absolutely everyone and message them individually.

My other social media outlet is Pinterest, which is heaven for hobbyists and DIY enthusiasts, and anyone who's planning any sort of project or trip. It's also a fun artistic outlet, in a Tumblr kind of way, but with less annoying fandom and more practical purpose.

I don't use Twitter or Tumblr, because I use Facebook similarly to how people use Twitter and Tumblr -- posting pics, videos, and random thoughts -- so they would be redundant.

Edit: I use LinkedIn as well, but not frequently. Only when I'm updating my profile, or networking.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
For me, enjoyment comes out from what you can do on it. Facebook bores me, it's mostly inane chat/photos of babies or holidays from people I already know, or game requests, and I'm not taking on any new information. I'm on LinkedIn and I use it because I have to, it doesn't interest me very much.

I enjoy Twitter a lot more, because I get to talk with people I don't know, or don't know very well, have a laugh, make jokes and have serious debate at the same time. It's where the zeitgeist is. Plus I have fun hunting trolls from time to time. I go on Vine sometimes too.

pizzathegreat

MBTI Type
BORK
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The only thing I use Facebook for is closed MBTI groups. It used to be for messaging family, but that got boring.
I don't hate social media, I hate the majority of people that contribute to social media.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My other social media outlet is Pinterest, which is heaven for hobbyists and DIY enthusiasts, and anyone who's planning any sort of project or trip. It's also a fun artistic outlet, in a Tumblr kind of way, but with less annoying fandom and more practical purpose.

I didn't even think of Pintrest and I love it. It's the greatest of all the social media because I can go look at and pin whatever I like and I don't have to interact with anyone although, some of the comments are an entertaining read. I agree it is practical and it's good to have all that stuff in one place.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Because of my job, I've dabbled in most of it. I use FB to keep in touch with family, and also it's good for a social events calendar. I'm not visually oriented enough to get sucked into Instagram or Pinterest, obsessed enough for Twitter and am weirded out for Tumblr. Youtube and Vine are too high production for me and Reddit isn't exactly social media in the same vein. G+ seems extraneous, though I think I may do more of it to keep track of some communities.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am an active facebook user, I keep conversations with my friends there and share a lot of music. Youtube for me is a replacment for a stereo, or a radio, I do not really use it as social media, more just for listening to music. I sometimes check tumblr, but I do no activly use it much, the same about deviantart.