• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pottermore House & Wand?

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I got almost the exact same wand as Harry Potter and was sorted into Gryffindor.

Wand

Rowan

Phoenix Feather Core

11"
Rigid

(Harry's wand was made of Holly rather than Rowan.)

Griffindor

kd72bm.png

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
House: Gryffindor

Length: 14 1/4 inches

Wood: Ebony

This jet-black wand wood has an impressive appearance and reputation, being highly suited to all manner of combative magic, and to Transfiguration. Ebony is happiest in the hand of those with the courage to be themselves. Frequently non-conformist, highly individual or comfortable with the status of outsider, ebony wand owners have been found both among the ranks of the Order of the Phoenix and among the Death Eaters. In my experience the ebony wand's perfect match is one who will hold fast to his or her beliefs, no matter what the external pressure, and will not be swayed lightly from their purpose.

Core: Dragon

As a rule, dragon heartstrings produce wands with the most power, and which are capable of the most flamboyant spells. Dragon wands tend to learn more quickly than other types. While they can change allegiance if won from their original master, they always bond strongly with the current owner. The dragon wand tends to be easiest to turn to the Dark Arts, though it will not incline that way of its own accord. It is also the most prone of the three cores to accidents, being somewhat temperamental.

Flexibility: Hard

Ingrid in grids

House
Hufflepuff

Wand
Wood: Hawthorn
Core: Unicorn hair
Length: 11 ½ inches
Flexibility: Unyielding

Pottermore Wiki: Hawthorn said:
The wandmaker Gregorovitch wrote that hawthorn ‘makes a strange, contradictory wand, as full of paradoxes as the tree that gave it birth, whose leaves and blossoms heal, and yet whose cut branches smell of death.’ While I disagree with many of Gregorovitch’s conclusions, we concur about hawthorn wands, which are complex and intriguing in their natures, just like the owners who best suit them. Hawthorn wands may be particularly suited to healing magic, but they are also adept at curses, and I have generally observed that the hawthorn wand seems most at home with a conflicted nature, or with a witch or wizard passing through a period of turmoil. Hawthorn is not easy to master, however, and I would only ever consider placing a hawthorn wand in the hands of a witch or wizard of proven talent, or the consequences might be dangerous. Hawthorn wands have a notable peculiarity: their spells can, when badly handled, backfire.

Pottermore Wiki: Unicorn hair said:
Unicorn hair generally produces the most consistent magic, and is least subject to fluctuations and blockages. Wands with unicorn cores are generally the most difficult to turn to the Dark Arts. They are the most faithful of all wands, and usually remain strongly attached to their first owner, irrespective of whether he or she was an accomplished witch or wizard.

Minor disadvantages of unicorn hair are that they do not make the most powerful wands (although the wand wood may compensate) and that they are prone to melancholy if seriously mishandled, meaning that the hair may 'die' and need replacing.

White Raven

MBTI Type
INxP
House
Ravenclaw

Ravenclaws possess the traits of cleverness, wisdom, wit and creativity. Many well-known inventors and innovators have come from Ravenclaw. However, Ravenclaws have been accused of undermining each other in order to earn the highest grade.

Students in Ravenclaw can also be quirky and possess unusual intellectual interests. Ravenclaws generally accept and celebrate these eccentrics. Ravenclaw is the ideal house in which to reside.

Wand
Wood: Beech
Core: Dragon Heartstring
Length: 12 inches
Flexibility: Slightly Springy

The true match for a beech wand will be, if young, wise beyond his or her years, and if full-grown, rich in understanding and experience. Beech wands perform very weakly for the narrow-minded and intolerant. Such wizards and witches, having obtained a beech wand without having been suitably matched (yet coveting this most desirable, richly hued and highly prized wand wood), have often presented themselves at the homes of learned wandmakers such as myself, demanding to know the reason for their handsome wand’s lack of power. When properly matched, the beech wand is capable of a subtlety and artistry rarely seen in any other wood, hence its lustrous reputation.

As a rule, dragon heartstrings produce wands with the most power, and which are capable of the most flamboyant spells. Dragon wands tend to learn more quickly than other types. While they can change allegiance if won from their original master, they always bond strongly with the current owner. The dragon wand tends to be easiest to turn to the Dark Arts, though it will not incline that way of its own accord. It is also the most prone of the three cores to accidents, being somewhat temperamental.

Sounds about correct.

Chrysanthea

Ooooooooh there was a quiz I was supposed to take? I just guessed mine... FINE DAMMIT! I'll DO IT AGAIN! D: <

House: Still Ravenclaw. The quiz said I was Gryffindor but that's just... nope. Not going there.
~Wand~
Wood: Cedar ~ Whenever I meet one who carries a cedar wand, I find strength of character and unusual loyalty. My father, Gervaise Ollivander, used always to say, ‘you will never fool the cedar carrier,’ and I agree: the cedar wand finds its perfect home where there is perspicacity and perception. I would go further than my father, however, in saying that I have never yet met the owner of a cedar wand whom I would care to cross, especially if harm is done to those of whom they are fond. The witch or wizard who is well-matched with cedar carries the potential to be a frightening adversary, which often comes as a shock to those who have thoughtlessly challenged them.
Core: Unicorn Hair
Length: 11 3/4
Flexibility: Unyielding

Hm... the only two aspects of my wand that are different from my self-assessment are Flexibility and Wood. But to be honest, I think my self-typing was much more accurate~ ;)

White Raven

MBTI Type
INxP
Chrysanthea, yeah, the quizzes tend to flip flop me with almost every house... lol. I have traits of all of them, but Ravenclaw just fits me like a glove.
Think self typing is actually often more accurate... or the quiz has to be made very well.

Ingrid in grids

Some of you might be interested on this study: Harry Potter and the measures of personality: Extraverted Gryffindors, agreeable Hufflepuffs, clever Ravenclaws, and manipulative Slytherins.

Abstract said:
People use fiction and storytelling to learn about themselves and their social world. Fans of J.K. Rowling’s popular Harry Potter book series often identify with one of the four Hogwarts school communities or “houses”—Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin—that correspond to characters’ specific traits. Fans use a feature on Rowling’s “Pottermore” website that tests their personality and sorts them into the Hogwarts house that best fits them. But what does Pottermore’s sorting quiz measure? We asked fans from online Harry Potter groups into which Hogwarts house they had been sorted on Pottermore. Fans then completed personality measures, including the Big Five traits, need to belong, need for cognition, and the Dark Triad traits—narcissism, Machiavellianism, and psychopathy. Planned contrasts found positive associations between need for cognition and placement in Ravenclaw (known for wit and learning), and between the Dark Triad traits and placement in Slytherin (known for using any means to achieve their ends). We expected—but did not find—that those in Gryffindor (known for bravery) would be higher in extraversion and openness, and that Hufflepuffs (known for loyalty) would be higher on need to belong. Our findings suggest that fiction can reflect real underlying personality dimensions.

Here's a news article about the study also.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I found a few things really interesting:

And last year, a separate study found that children who read Harry Potter excerpts about Harry’s friendships with stigmatized members of the magical world—like wizards born to Muggle, or non-magical, parents—later displayed more tolerant attitudes towards real-life social “out-groups,” compared with children who had read more neutral scenes.

Yeah, I wonder how those kids might feel about people who don't fit neatly into any social category, like mixed race people or people with parents from different religious traditions, or people with parents from different nationalities.

. Wanting to possess a certain trait, in other words, was linked to actually possessing it: People who said they wanted to be in “manipulative Slytherin,” for example, tended to score higher on narcissism, whether or not Pottermore had assigned them there. (As Hogwarts’ headmaster, that wise old wizard Albus Dumbledore, once said: “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”)

I think there's truth to this. Of course, there's also the fact that people can lie about what kind of person they are. A manipulative person isn't inclined to tell the truth about themselves.

I also found this really interesting:

Comment: Harry Potter did help shape the political culture of a generation | SBS News

I found empirical support for the idea that the Harry Potter series influenced the political values and perspectives of the generation that came of age with these books. Reading the books correlated with greater levels of acceptance for out-groups, higher political tolerance, less predisposition to authoritarianism, greater support for equality, and greater opposition to the use of violence and torture. As Harry Potter fans will have noted, these are major themes repeated throughout the series. These correlations remained significant even when applying more sophisticated statistical analyses – when controlling for, among other things, parental influence.

This is definitely an ongoing pattern. Then again, was the series popular because it tapped into a different kind of consciousness that was already present, or did it actively influence perceptions? Correlation not equalling causation, and all that.

Finally, I love this:

When we’re consuming entertainment stories it’s likely that we’re more susceptible to politically relevant messages – we’re relaxing, having fun, our political “guard” is down. Indeed, most people are largely unaware of the politically relevant content of that which they watch or read because they are not looking for it. And certain politically relevant messages are so ubiquitous throughout our culture that they become invisible to us. Take the overwhelmingly positive portray of guns in US media – it’s incredibly rare to see a hero without a gun.

Lunar Light

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ENFP, Gryffindor

13 3/4 inches, Larch, phoenix feather, supple