• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to type music and songs?

Kira6311

MBTI Type
INFP
Hi guys :)

I´ve seen many playlists on youtube named by mbti types and things like that. I´m very interested how do you type songs. Is it even possible? Do you type a song or music based on the lyrics, the topic, by the personality of singer or is it only by some kind of gut feeling? How does it work?

Thank you for answers.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Generally it's not possible IMO. Best way I can think of to type a song would be to think "what type would feel this way, and express themselves this way?" But that's not even remotely foolproof. An example might be that I think ENFP when I hear this song -- but enough people relate to it, of a wide variety of types, that it wouldn't make much sense to type it.

It can help to have a good idea as to the type of the person who wrote the song. For example, most songs by Tool, in my opinion, are INTx 5w6, because that's how I would type Maynard James Keenan and his songs ring very true with that. That being said, anyone who thinks that "you are what you write" 100% of the time is oversimplifying big time.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
songs don't have MBTI types.

writers/artists may. depending on how they write i can see how type might translate. but other than that, it seems pretty arbitrary to me.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
songs don't have MBTI types.

writers/artists may. depending on how they write i can see how type might translate. but other than that, it seems pretty arbitrary to me.
^ Actually, this.

You can summarize my earlier post as: "It's not actually possible, but is a fun and futile intellectual exercise".

Quajaboy

In a similar question. Do peoples types have any influence on what they like music movie etc wise?

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also the types of music that certain types get into vary as well.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Songs can have feelings, landscapes, messages, dreams, disorders (mostly Obsessive-Compulsive, of course), but they can't have types.
Unless...
You bypass this with a loophole! Maybe you were listening to a song and had a fantasy about its human form and included its MBTI type. But if you're at that point I'd suggest you take at least a year long break from typology forums and dA.

raissaroars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's fun to try to type a song, like "oh my gosh, those lyrics sound a lot like an ISTP" etc, but it's never accurate and shouldn't be taken seriously. It's a good way to waste time, though. I enjoy doing it.