• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sherlock Holmes (INTP) VS Batman (INTJ)

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
I have found myself several older INTPs, and none of them remind me in the least of Sherlock Holmes (which, coming from me, should be taken as a compliment), although I suspect most of them would like to be compared to him.

Anyway, I don't know why you think I should find myself an older INTP. Are you trying to hook me up with someone? I don't date anyone over 35.

I don't think that's true. I once knew a girl who presumably had a personality, and on one occasion, she chose to sink her teeth into an individual's hand. She would never do that today, because she's gotten a little more protective of herself. She doesn't want to get some kind of blood disease or have her reputation spoiled by tales of people biting. There are lots of people out there who are just like that.

Anyone can relax with a few Xanax (or Ex-lax, in its own way), and I think that Intuitives are probably a little more inclined toward pharmaceutical adventures than some other types.

I'm sure INTPs can trust their own minds, but perhaps they really shouldn't do that. I would only recommend trusting the mind of an INFJ, which, incidentally, was not Sherlock Holmes's type.

But you don't work at a detective agency.

Keep talking like that, and you're going to turn someone on. It won't be me, but I know some people really get hot when they hear that kind of talk, which is maybe what Sherlock Holmes was trying to do all the time. He never did get married, so maybe in his own way, he was trying to flirt with Watson. Of course, I always assume a fictional character is gay. The only exception to that is Dostoevsky's creations, because the man seems like too much of a Christian.

LOL. How do you NOT realize that the way this INTP is talking to you is EXACTLY how Sherlock interacts with people. Being as analytical and challenging as possible.

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Some of you might know about zobiesruineverything who always provides great explanations for his typing. I would say about 80% of everything he says I agree with. So now, I'll let him do the talking. In the link below is his explanation why he thinks Sherlock is an INTP.

MBTI: Sherlock Holmes- INTP | Zombies Ruin Everything

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
bilbotook said:
LOL. How do you NOT realize that the way this INTP is talking to you is EXACTLY how Sherlock interacts with people. Being as analytical and challenging as possible.
Eh . . . he comes off more like an INTP trying, somewhat playfully, to act like Holmes.

bilbotook said:
Some of you might know about zobiesruineverything who always provides great explanations for his typing. I would say about 80% of everything he says I agree with. So now, I'll let him do the talking. In the link below is his explanation why he thinks Sherlock is an INTP.
The author of that article doesn't even try to make a case for Holmes being a Ti-dom. They just present it as a given. They also don't seem to know what abductive reasoning is. Abductive reasoning is what you do in the first two steps of the standard scientific method: you observe something, and then you make a hypothesis about it. Sherlock Holmes does that all the time, and it isn't really a sign of Ti, much less Ne. The author thinks it is a sign of Ne because they apparently don't know much more about Ne than they do about abductive reasoning. They describe Ne as a function that arrives at a single result, when in reality, it is Ni, the opposite kind of intuition, that tends to do that. Ne is a type of intuition that multiplies possibilities and resists settling on any one of them. Holmes doesn't do that. Moreover, he is almost completely devoid of Fe, and even seems to have an aversion to the function. A normal INTP usually exudes a certain amount of Fe, even if the function is sometimes clumsy in them, and Socionics predicts that an INTP (who would always or almost always be a LII) would seek out and greatly appreciate shows of Fe.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Eh . . . he comes off more like an INTP trying, somewhat playfully, to act like Holmes.
Jinkies. Oddly enough, not at all. That's just how I think. When I try I tend to come off more as an absent minded professor according to my team at work.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Xander said:
Jinkies. Oddly enough, not at all. That's just how I think. When I try I tend to come off more as an absent minded professor according to my team at work.
Which is a very different kind of persona than Sherlock Holmes, and one more in line with a normal INTP.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Which is a very different kind of persona than Sherlock Holmes, and one more in line with a normal INTP.
That's your issue. Your type is what you do when you apply little or no effort. With effort applied I can make a damn fine ENTJ in some situations.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I never thought of sherlock as an INTP, both in literature as well as movies.

Te-Fi seems much more fitting than Ti-Fe.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8

So you think Holmes capable of answering the question "are you happy"?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So you think Holmes capable of answering the question "are you happy"?

I'm pretty sure he is gifted with the ability to formulate a sentence or two, yes. (Not sure what your point is. :p )

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm pretty sure he is gifted with the ability to formulate a sentence or two, yes. (Not sure what your point is. :p )
It's an illogical question. The answer is moot and irrelevant. Everything about the character says to me that he would respond as I used to "define 'happy'".

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's an illogical question. The answer is moot and irrelevant. Everything about the character says to me that he would respond as I used to "define 'happy'".

That seems a reasonable assumption and a rather obvious answer for anyone that believes to be different from the people surrounding them. But I think it says very little on his type apart from him likely being a dominant thinker and a bit of an oddball.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
That seems a reasonable assumption and a rather obvious answer for anyone that believes to be different from the people surrounding them. But I think it says very little on his type apart from him likely being a dominant thinker and a bit of an oddball.

Isn't "oddball" normally a description assigned to a P?

I'm curious because we seem to be circling the same drain but getting to two different places.

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram

MBTI: Sherlock Holmes- INTP | Zombies Ruin Everything

I actually follow this guy's blog. His writing-style is awesome; really clever and down-to-earth.

Last edited:

star tripper

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Explain how.

Ti describes Sherlock to a T. He withdraws from the object, abstracts it. His judgments are not objective.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An Example of Using the Function-Attitudes

Here is an example of how you might use all of the mental functions in their attitudes at the grocery store for a dinner party you are planning :

As you drive to the store, you have formed an internal image of how the party will look (Introverted iNtuition).
You get to the store and you see that the tomatoes do not look ripe (Extraverted Sensing).
You determine you will forgo the tomato salad since you want your friends to feel good (Extraverted Feeling).
You immediately start to brainstorm other options as you move through the produce isle (Extraverted iNtuition) while examining the other vegetables (Extraverted Sensing).
You pass the blueberries and recall the documentary you just saw on child labor in blueberry fields (Introverted Sensing).
That treatment of children is inexcusable, so you decide not to purchase the blueberries to make the blueberry tart you had thought about (Introverted Feeling).
You pass the bakery and see a carrot cake (Extraverted Sensing) that takes you back to the birthday dinner your mom made for you last year (Introverted Sensing).
You look at your watch and determine that you had better move a bit faster as you have only a couple of hours left to prepare (Extraverted Thinking).
You turn your attention to your thoughts to internally structure the rest of your day (Introverted Thinking).

- See more at: Carl Jung & Psychological Types | MBTI® Type Today

I think different actors portray Sherlock and Batman differently, not to even mention comic books. :thinking:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I think different actors portray Sherlock and Batman differently, not to even mention comic books. :thinking:

True. The Robert Downey version of sherlock has taken me a long while to consider accepting and even then my brain treats it as a different character who just happens to share the same name.