• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFJs in popular culture

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Thought I would make one of these threads for my extroverted counterparts.

Fictional

Cleopatra- Antony and Cleopatra

Marty Mcfly- Back To The Future

Woody- Toy Story

Jay Gatsby- The Great Gatsby

Captain Long John Silver- Treasure Island

John-Boy Walton- The Waltons

Lorelai Gilmore- Gilmore Girls

Celebrities

Oprah Winfrey

Jimmy Buffett

Reese Witherspoon

big sexy

MBTI Type
INfP
Tarrlok from Legend of Korra is an ENFJ villain. Love him.

edit: Speaking of LoK, Suyin is another ENFJ from the show. Iroh from Avatar: The Last Airbender may also be one, it's a popular typing for him though I personally see him as something else.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Regina George from Mean Girls.
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] :D

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation!

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thought I would make one of these threads for my extroverted counterparts.

Fictional

Cleopatra- Antony and Cleopatra

Marty Mcfly- Back To The Future

Woody- Toy Story

Jay Gatsby- The Great Gatsby

Captain Long John Silver- Treasure Island

John-Boy Walton- The Waltons

Lorelai Gilmore- Gilmore Girls
Some interesting suggestions. I think Gatsby is a INFJ and Woody is a ESFJ, but I'm intrigued by the thought of Long John Silver and Marty McFly being ENFJ - I hadn't considered them. I'm compiling large list of fictional characters for each type (I won't dump it here it's too long), so I might think on it and possibly add them to the list. I need more positive examples of the type.

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Some interesting suggestions. I think Gatsby is a INFJ and Woody is a ESFJ, but I'm intrigued by the thought of Long John Silver and Marty McFly being ENFJ - I hadn't considered them. I'm compiling large list of fictional characters for each type (I won't dump it here it's too long), so I might think on it and possibly add them to the list. I need more positive examples of the type.

Really? That's awesome! I have a blog where I type fictional characters by MBTI preference (used to do it by cognitive function, but that method was too unstable); would be glad to lend you my character list for whatever type you need.

I had originally typed Gatsby as INFJ myself, but after re-reading the novel, I began to see how outgoing and sociable he is. The guy needs constant human interaction, throwing huge parties at his house for complete strangers, renting out rooms to tenants and socializing with them, having to "talk out" his problems with Nick, etc.

Gatsby is also highly manipulative, confrontational, and assertive. Plus, his role in the novel is very similar to what ENFJs do in real life: using warmth and persuasion to get people to cooperate for a cause.

Not really certain about Woody. That's just a guess based on the portions of Toy Story that I've seen.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Really? That's awesome! I have a blog where I type fictional characters by MBTI preference (used to do it by cognitive function, but that method was too unstable); would be glad to lend you my character list for whatever type you need.
I'd definitely like to have a look at it. I might not necessarily agree with all of them but it's useful to see a good list.

I had originally typed Gatsby as INFJ myself, but after re-reading the novel, I began to see how outgoing and sociable he is. The guy needs constant human interaction, throwing huge parties at his house for complete strangers, renting out rooms to tenants and socializing with them, having to "talk out" his problems with Nick, etc.

Gatsby is also highly manipulative, confrontational, and assertive. Plus, his role in the novel is very similar to what ENFJs do in real life: using warmth and persuasion to get people to cooperate for a cause.
TBH I haven't read the book and have only seen the movie - I'm not sure how much they differ. It seemed to me that he was quite reserved and kept a lot to himself despite being warm and friendly. He threw parties but was never at them. Also I think he connected to Nick and felt he was a sympathetic listener, but wasn't naturally open about his feelings the rest of the time. Also the degree that he focused on getting his world into a specific order and created the exact sort of lifestyle/person before finding daisy seemed more like a Ni-dom. Je doms act first and use an emerging plan as they go along. Pi doms get a plan perfectly in place and then take to action.

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'd definitely like to have a look at it. I might not necessarily agree with all of them but it's useful to see a good list.

TBH I haven't read the book and have only seen the movie - I'm not sure how much they differ. It seemed to me that he was quite reserved and kept a lot to himself despite being warm and friendly. He threw parties but was never at them. Also I think he connected to Nick and felt he was a sympathetic listener, but wasn't naturally open about his feelings the rest of the time. Also the degree that he focused on getting his world into a specific order and created the exact sort of lifestyle/person before finding daisy seemed more like a Ni-dom. Je doms act first and use an emerging plan as they go along. Pi doms get a plan perfectly in place and then take to action.

That's kind of funny; I've read the book but never seen the movie (at least not the DiCaprio version). My humble opinion is that NJ types tend to operate in basically the same way: taking action (Judging) to realize their dreams (Intuition), with ENxJs being more aggressive and bold in how they go about it. I can't imagine an INxJ confronting Tom Buchanan the way Gatsby did (especially not an INFJ). But then again, just my opinion.

I'm sure that you won't agree with all of the typings on my list, but they might give you some ideas. My blog contains a lot of well-known characters that have been overlook by MBTI enthusiasts, such as Hamlet, Captain Nemo, Nancy Drew, Odysseus, and others, so it might give you some new ones to consider.

I'll send it in a private message.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Tarrlok from Legend of Korra is an ENFJ villain. Love him.

edit: Speaking of LoK, Suyin is another ENFJ from the show. Iroh from Avatar: The Last Airbender may also be one, it's a popular typing for him though I personally see him as something else.

Just to add, I personally see Jinora from LoK as an ENFJ too. Most people say INFJ though. :shrug: Not sure about Suyin but I agree with Tarrlok and Iroh.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Katara - the last airbender
Xavier the younger version in the movies
Nick lane - fringe

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sam Merlotte from True Blood seems ENFJ to me.

Also Gwen Cooper from Torchwood.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My humble opinion is that NJ types tend to operate in basically the same way: taking action (Judging) to realize their dreams (Intuition), with ENxJs being more aggressive and bold in how they go about it.

Could be called over-simplification, but quite succinct, IMO.

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Could be called over-simplification, but quite succinct, IMO.

Why, thank you!

The "preferences only" way of looking at MBTI might be called oversimplification, but it's far more reliable in my experience. The preferences can be verified by common-sense and basic observation, whereas cognitive functions and Keirseyan temperaments are pure theory.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Oh, Booth from Bones is a classic example as well!

Just to add, I personally see Jinora from LoK as an ENFJ too. Most people say INFJ though. :shrug: Not sure about Suyin but I agree with Tarrlok and Iroh.

What's your reasoning for this, exactly? I can't see Jinora as anything other than an introvert.

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Pretty good. here is my list

Balin from The Hobbit
Meriadoc Brandybuck from The Lord of the Rings
also Eowen from The Lord of the Rings
Susan Storm/Invisible Woman from The Fantastic Four
Julie from Under the Dome
Sue Heck from The Middle
Jean Grey from X-Men
Pepper Potts from Iron Man

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I have trouble imagining ENFJ's because I've never meet one in my life.

á´…eparted

passages
Princess Bubblegum from Adventure Time. She's also 1w2. I relate to her character on SO many levels.

I have trouble imagining ENFJ's because I've never meet one in my life.

I'm sure you have. You just don't know it. After all, there are only 16 types.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Princess Bubblegum from Adventure Time. She's also 1w2. I relate to her character on SO many levels.

I'm sure you have. You just don't know it. After all, there are only 16 types.

Even if I did meet one, their interaction must not had been particular memorable to me which is why I can't remember. I have no ENFJ friends on my facebook . I know ENFJ who I typed however, I don't know them personally. I know my sister's boyfriend is ENFJ's just from hearing their phone conversation.