• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP's in popular culture

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
I've been really excited to do this one since I am an INFP myself. I was going to do it last but I got way too impatient so here is my list of fictional INFP's and hopefully other INFP's relate to then like I do.

Frodo Baggins from The Lord of the Rings
Amy Pond from Doctor Who
The Mad Hatter from Batman
Henry from Once Upon a Time
Max Dillon/Electro from Spider Man
Belle from Beauty and the Beast
Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes
Scarface from Batman
Violet from The Incredibles

And then there are a few real INFP's that I know:

William Shakespeare - Playwright/Poet
J.R.R. Tolkien - Author
Vincent Van Gogh - Painter
C.S. Lewis - Author/Philosopher
Peter Jackson - Movie Director
Rich Mullins - Singer/Song Wrighter

So, as usual, do you agree and who are INFP's that you know.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Lexie Grey from Grey's Anatomy!

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Great job! Here's a few more.

Fictional Characters

Anne Shirley- Anne of Green Gables

Daenerys Targaryen (book version)- Game of Thrones

Princess Buttercup- The Princess Bride

Pam Beesly- The Office

Kip- Napoleon Dynamite

T. E. Lawrence- Lawrence of Arabia

History and pop-culture

Johnny Depp

Chris Martin- Lead singer of Coldplay (my best guess for his type)

Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha)

Mahatma Gandhi

Virginia Woolf

Joan of Arc

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
angela chase from my so-called life and claire fischer from six feet under

both angsty red-headed 4w5s :)

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Father Francis Mulcahy from M*A*S*H seems like an INFP to me.

Also mentioned elsewhere, but Dr. Carson Beckett from Stargate Atlantis. (Gosh, he's adorable.)

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Great job! Here's a few more.

Fictional Characters

Anne Shirley- Anne of Green Gables

Daenerys Targaryen (book version)- Game of Thrones

Princess Buttercup- The Princess Bride

Pam Beesly- The Office

Kip- Napoleon Dynamite

T. E. Lawrence- Lawrence of Arabia

History and pop-culture

Johnny Depp

Chris Martin- Lead singer of Coldplay (my best guess for his type)

Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha)

Mahatma Gandhi

Virginia Woolf

Joan of Arc

I think most of these are accurate, but Gandhi seems more like an INFJ. But you might be right.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
John Milton, author of Paradise Lost.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=22109]Evee[/MENTION] from Typology Central

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I think most of these are accurate, but Gandhi seems more like an INFJ. But you might be right.

That's a really important point to bring up.

People usually type Gandhi that way because of his worldview, which has a very INFJ vibe, but the man himself was an INFP. Gandhi's ideology, however, actually did originate from an INFJ mind; a mind by the name of Leo Tolstoy.

Tolstoy saw the deeper, symbolic meaning (Ni) behind his Christian faith (love, pacifism, forgiveness, compassion, gentleness), and championed it as his vision for humanity (Fe) through numerous spiritual writings.

After exploring numerous ideals and intellectual theories (Ne) ("My experiments with truth"), Gandhi finally found an ideology that corresponded with his personal values (Fi) in Tolstoy's writings.

So most of the time when people type Gandhi, they are actually typing the Tolstoyan influence behind his life and ideals.

Come to think of it, a comparison of Gandhi and Tolstoy is a great way to contrast INFJs and INFPs. They both championed the same basic ideology, but went about it in radically different ways. I'll have to start another thread for that discussion.

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP

People usually type Gandhi that way because of his worldview, which has a very INFJ vibe, but the man himself was an INFP. Gandhi's ideology, however, actually did originate from an INFJ mind; a mind by the name of Leo Tolstoy.

Tolstoy saw the deeper, symbolic meaning (Ni) behind his Christian faith (love, pacifism, forgiveness, compassion, gentleness), and championed it as his vision for humanity (Fe) through numerous spiritual writings.

After exploring numerous ideals and intellectual theories (Ne) ("My experiments with truth"), Gandhi finally found an ideology that corresponded with his personal values (Fi) in Tolstoy's writings.

So most of the time when people type Gandhi, they are actually typing the Tolstoyan influence behind his life and ideals.

Come to think of it, a comparison of Gandhi and Tolstoy is a great way to contrast INFJs and INFPs. They both championed the same basic ideology, but went about it in radically different ways. I'll have to start another thread for that discussion.

Okay I get it

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
angela chase from my so-called life and claire fischer from six feet under

both angsty red-headed 4w5s :)

Great job. I listened to every single thing she said and it was like it was coming out of my own mouth.

Nikhar

MBTI Type
INFP
Hey... was an wondering that who is an INFP in the Harry Potter series.....please help I am a potterhead and an INFP myself and i wanted to know whic character was most like me...

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Here's some more female INFP celebrities that I've found

Janis Joplin

Judy Garland

Audrey Hepburn

Angelina Jolie

Greta Garbo

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
The Romantic movement was pretty much an INFP movement.

In literature, I will hedge my bets that Blake, Keats and Wordsworth were all INFPs. Their musical equivalents, Chopin and Schumann, probably both were too.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
fictional characters: Willow Rosenberg from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Claire Fisher and Russell from Six Feet Under, Alphonse Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist

writers: Susanna Kaysen, J.D. Salinger

Lots of really talented and innovative musicians: Tori Amos, Fiona Apple, Kate Bush, Kurt Cobain, Jeff Mangum, and Michael Stipe are the ones that immediately come to mind. I'm not a big fan of Sinead O'Connor's music, but she also seems like an INFP to me. And maybe Jonny Greenwood - I'm not sure whether he's INFP or INTP.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I type Tolstoy as INFP and Ghandi as INFJ. I agree its a good contrast, but with flipped types.

I see FJs influenced by Fi concepts, not the other way around. Introverted feeling is not a set of static values, but a focus on finding, creating, and refining concepts of value. The IxxP mindset is more exploratory and not just because of auxiliary Pe, but rather how it works with Ji to form a whole mentality.

Gandhi strikes me as INFJ because of the way he communicated his ideals, not because of what they were. He was focused on implemenarion over refinement, which is far more INFJ than INFP. Whereas Tolstoy was focused on seeking, understanding, and refinement over taking action to cause change. He communicated through his art form, not seeking any leadership role. This is much more INFP style.

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Hey... was an wondering that who is an INFP in the Harry Potter series.....please help I am a potterhead and an INFP myself and i wanted to know whic character was most like me...

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I was gone for a while. Anyway, I think (though I'm not 100% sure) that Luna Lovegood is an INFP. And I've also heard Remus Lupin typed as an INFP.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I type Tolstoy as INFP and Ghandi as INFJ. I agree its a good contrast, but with flipped types.

I see FJs influenced by Fi concepts, not the other way around. Introverted feeling is not a set of static values, but a focus on finding, creating, and refining concepts of value. The IxxP mindset is more exploratory and not just because of auxiliary Pe, but rather how it works with Ji to form a whole mentality.

Gandhi strikes me as INFJ because of the way he communicated his ideals, not because of what they were. He was focused on implemenarion over refinement, which is far more INFJ than INFP. Whereas Tolstoy was focused on seeking, understanding, and refinement over taking action to cause change. He communicated through his art form, not seeking any leadership role. This is much more INFP style.

Slightly off topic here, but this is a question I've had about INFPs for quite some time.

I understand (and heartily approve) of the internal rebar-like values possessed by the INFP, highly individualistic, but held as universal (e.g. each INFP has their OWN set, will defend them at all costs, but will not seek to *force* them on others, instead being quietly heartbroken over the failure of humans to live up to those ideals).

I understand that each INFP seeks both to gather as much of the human experience as possible, to help them identify ... as an INTJ, I don't think I have the proper words, but for the moment, call them "the essential components" of the human condition -- "what are the attitudes, the feelings, the longings, hurts, joys, sorrows, longings, common to humanity? What aspects of humanity do we all share?" And from these components, the INFP apparently derives their values, and seeks to refine them.

My question is this, [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] -- in your quote above, you said the values are 'not static' and yet later in the sentence you said the INFP seeks to 'refine them'. My gut or heart or Ni or ...something... tells me this is true, but my brain is puzzled : if they are being refined, doesn't that mean they are changing?

The only resolution of this I can see, is if one considers the simile, the word-picture-parable, as it were, of values being like the vibrating strings on a stringed instrument (*) -- as say, on a guitar compared to a tuning fork: the fork vibrates with a certain pitch, and the INFP uses the tuning key and listening for the "beats" as the string's frequency gets closer and closer to the "true" note. Or would it be more like, the INFP 'hears' a certain note representing the internal value, and is constantly plucking the strings while ranging their finger over the fretboard, trying to find which note corresponds to the one they hear?

(*) or, if you want to be swashbuckling about it, a chord: unique combinations and weightings of different elements in relation to one another. One tunes each string first, then identifies each note on each string, then correctly identifies the *chord*?

Way over my head here, I'll shut up and listen.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Agree utterly on Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes.
Violet from The Incredibles -- by golly, you're right, but I'd never considered her type before.

Vincent Van Gogh -- so obvious as to both require mentioning *and* hardly need it.
Disagree on C.S. Lewis, to my mind he's INTJ. Consider this writing sample from one of his novels:

Pain came and went in his face: sudden jabs of sickening and burning pain. But as lightning goes through the darkness and the darkness closes up again and shows no trace, so the tranquillity of his countenance swallowed up each shock of torture. How could she have thought him young? Or old either? It came over her, with a sensation of quick fear, that this face was of no age at all. She had, or so she had believed, disliked bearded faces except for old men with white hair. But that was because she had long since forgotten the imagined Arthur of her childhood—and the imagined Solomon too. Solomon . . . for the first time in many years the bright solar blend of king and lover and magician which hangs about that name stole back upon her mind. For the first time in all those years she tasted the word King itself with all its linked associations of battle, marriage, priesthood, mercy, and power. At that moment, as her eyes first rested on his face, Jane forgot who she was, and where, and her faint grudge against Grace Ironwood, and her more obscure grudge 173 against Mark, and her childhood and her father’s house. It was, of course, only for a flash. Next moment she was once more the ordinary social Jane, flushed and confused to find that she had been staring rudely (at least she hoped that rudeness would be the main impression produced) at a total stranger. But her world was unmade; she knew that. Anything might happen now.

Very much expository, feels much more like Ni (themes in common, centripetal to a common center rather than branching and extending from a common point); but very much powered by Fi.

Rich Mullins -- very much so, if you consider this song:

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram

Quite embarrassing to admit, but since changing the way I view MBTI, I've also changed my opinion on Gandhi. The conclusion I've arrived at regarding his type would sound ridiculous to anyone else, so I'd rather not share it here.

I still hold that Tolstoy is INFJ, however. But for different reasons now.