• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP's in popular culture

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Anne Shirley- Anne of Green Gables

I'm always a little puzzled as to why Anne is typed as INFP. I've read (and loved) Anne of Green Gables two or three times, and I'm leaning ENFP.
Either way, I'm basically an older, more modern version of her. :D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Slightly off topic here, but this is a question I've had about INFPs for quite some time.

I understand (and heartily approve) of the internal rebar-like values possessed by the INFP, highly individualistic, but held as universal (e.g. each INFP has their OWN set, will defend them at all costs, but will not seek to *force* them on others, instead being quietly heartbroken over the failure of humans to live up to those ideals).

I understand that each INFP seeks both to gather as much of the human experience as possible, to help them identify ... as an INTJ, I don't think I have the proper words, but for the moment, call them "the essential components" of the human condition -- "what are the attitudes, the feelings, the longings, hurts, joys, sorrows, longings, common to humanity? What aspects of humanity do we all share?" And from these components, the INFP apparently derives their values, and seeks to refine them.

My question is this, [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] -- in your quote above, you said the values are 'not static' and yet later in the sentence you said the INFP seeks to 'refine them'. My gut or heart or Ni or ...something... tells me this is true, but my brain is puzzled : if they are being refined, doesn't that mean they are changing?

Yeah, that's why they are not static (as in, showing little or no change). What's the confusion over? :thinking:

The only resolution of this I can see, is if one considers the simile, the word-picture-parable, as it were, of values being like the vibrating strings on a stringed instrument (*) -- as say, on a guitar compared to a tuning fork: the fork vibrates with a certain pitch, and the INFP uses the tuning key and listening for the "beats" as the string's frequency gets closer and closer to the "true" note. Or would it be more like, the INFP 'hears' a certain note representing the internal value, and is constantly plucking the strings while ranging their finger over the fretboard, trying to find which note corresponds to the one they hear?

(*) or, if you want to be swashbuckling about it, a chord: unique combinations and weightings of different elements in relation to one another. One tunes each string first, then identifies each note on each string, then correctly identifies the *chord*?

Way over my head here, I'll shut up and listen.

I think those are all very nice metaphors :D. (Art, music, and poetry make for great metaphors for the Fi process, for obvious reasons).

And if a string is beyond repair, then maybe it gets replaced. The fine tuning is more common though,. But the idea of it all being in relation to other parts of a harmonious whole is correct.

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hyuuga Hinata from Naruto
Furukawa Nagisa from Clannad
Tachibana Kanade from Angel Beats

- - - Updated - - -

I'm always a little puzzled as to why Anne is typed as INFP. I've read (and loved) Anne of Green Gables two or three times, and I'm leaning ENFP.
Either way, I'm basically an older, more modern version of her. :D

How the HELL is a Fetus older than anyone?

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, that's why they are not static (as in, showing little or no change). What's the confusion over? :thinking:

I think those are all very nice metaphors :D. (Art, music, and poetry make for great metaphors for the Fi process, for obvious reasons).

And if a string is beyond repair, then maybe it gets replaced. The fine tuning is more common though,. But the idea of it all being in relation to other parts of a harmonious whole is correct.
If they are not at least quasi-static, then in seeking to refine them, you are chasing a moving target....<p>

Two possible ways to get out of the paradox: think of going to the opthamologist for one of those interminable eye exams:

Which is clearer? "One," (flips extra lens), "or Two?"
"Good." "Now, Two?" (flips again), "or Three"

ad infinitum ad nauseum.

The target isn't really changing but the perception narrows down to the ideal...

OR...

the values themselves grow and mature over time...
like a penciled-in concept for a sketch...
to the sketch...
to the coloured panel...
to CGI rendering...
to the full live-action motion picture.

Changing: but paradoxically, not losing their identity in such, rather, coming to fruition.

(That'll teach *me* to think like an engineer...!)

(INFPs *always* cross-pollinate my brain paths.) :D and :tantrum:

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
The main character from Perks of Being a Wallflower was verrrrry INFP.

As was the main character of the Kite Runner

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Agree utterly on Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes.
Violet from The Incredibles -- by golly, you're right, but I'd never considered her type before.

Vincent Van Gogh -- so obvious as to both require mentioning *and* hardly need it.
Disagree on C.S. Lewis, to my mind he's INTJ. Consider this writing sample from one of his novels:

Pain came and went in his face: sudden jabs of sickening and burning pain. But as lightning goes through the darkness and the darkness closes up again and shows no trace, so the tranquillity of his countenance swallowed up each shock of torture. How could she have thought him young? Or old either? It came over her, with a sensation of quick fear, that this face was of no age at all. She had, or so she had believed, disliked bearded faces except for old men with white hair. But that was because she had long since forgotten the imagined Arthur of her childhood—and the imagined Solomon too. Solomon . . . for the first time in many years the bright solar blend of king and lover and magician which hangs about that name stole back upon her mind. For the first time in all those years she tasted the word King itself with all its linked associations of battle, marriage, priesthood, mercy, and power. At that moment, as her eyes first rested on his face, Jane forgot who she was, and where, and her faint grudge against Grace Ironwood, and her more obscure grudge 173 against Mark, and her childhood and her father’s house. It was, of course, only for a flash. Next moment she was once more the ordinary social Jane, flushed and confused to find that she had been staring rudely (at least she hoped that rudeness would be the main impression produced) at a total stranger. But her world was unmade; she knew that. Anything might happen now.

Very much expository, feels much more like Ni (themes in common, centripetal to a common center rather than branching and extending from a common point); but very much powered by Fi.

Rich Mullins -- very much so, if you consider this song:

I'm sorry. Your video is not showing up on my computer. What song is it?

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Here's a list of INFP villains

Electro from Spider Man
Nebula from Guardians of the Galaxy
The Ventriloquist from Batman
The Mad Hatter from Batman

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Dewey from Malcolm in the Middle

The little boy from where the wild things are. Maybe?

Remus Lupin

Aang from Avatar last airbender?

Nemo?

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Dewey from Malcolm in the Middle

The little boy from where the wild things are. Maybe?

Remus Lupin

Aang from Avatar last airbender?

Nemo?

Nemo seems more like an ESFP to me.

btw, completely off subject, are you still trying to figure out your type or do you not want people to know?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Nemo seems more like an ESFP to me.

btw, completely off subject, are you still trying to figure out your type or do you not want people to know?

Bit of both. Have ideas of which types ore most likely, but dnot really confident enough to pin one type down.

Anyways, Laura Ingalls?

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Scarlet Witch from MARVEL comics. Definite INFP. Also in The Avengers: Age of Ultron.

INFPtheQuietOne

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Many people always seem to refer INFPs as the weak ones in fiction. The INFP fictional stereotypes were shy, weak, naive, innocent, and anti-social. Why do people always type weak girls as INFPs? And the INFPs in fiction are just based on the extremely reserved, dreamy INFP stereotype itself?

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Many people always seem to refer INFPs as the weak ones in fiction. The INFP fictional stereotypes were shy, weak, naive, innocent, and anti-social. Why do people always type weak girls as INFPs? And the INFPs in fiction are just based on the extremely reserved, dreamy INFP stereotype itself?

Being weak isn't a personality trait of INFP's, but, when it comes to fiction, it fits their role very well.

Kas

Fabula rasa

What do you exactly mean by “weak”? Physically or psychologically?
Well, there is some truth in stereotypes. The stereotyping that all INFPs are this and that is obviously very wrong, but it is the truth that some traits are more common in their (or should I say our :blush:) type.

What do you think about Haulden Caulfield from “The Cather in the Rye”?
He seems to be far from this fragile, dreamy stereotype. He is more young angry man, very sensitive though.

INFPtheQuietOne

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
[MENTION=24824]Kas[/MENTION] Meh, maybe most of the INFPs in fiction are just anti-social but they're NOT weak at all.

And some example of INFPs are:
Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter (One of my favorite characters in this series, very unique and distant-in-her-own-world. She's cool and resilient, a strong INFP.)
Bella Swan from Twilight (I don't think she has Se-Ni at all. I mean she's very quiet and disconnected from school. Plus, she's always clumsy and has this "cute, fragile image." She doesn't have the aggressiveness of an INFJ or ISFP, and too spontaneous to be ISFJ. But I hate her, such a terrible protagonist. She probably doesn't have a type, no personality whatsoever. So because of that her type is non-MBTI. But if she were in real life, I'd say INFP. She's clearly Ne-Si, NOT Ni-Se.)