• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Superman as a classic ISFJ

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Superman is shy, shunning as much attention as possible while maintaining a high level of privacy. He has a strong moral code and stands up for those in need. He fights for truth, justice, and the american way, overthrowing those ambitious villains that would change everything he has come to love about earth. This is why I would type him as ISFJ.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
what's the shadow of the isfj? That would be his powers...sounds right..clark is an isfj and then he goes into super mode.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
He's too idealistic to be a stereotypical ISFJ. I feel INFJ 1w2 is more appropriate, to be honest.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
ISFJ sounds right. In the 1978 film, he reverses the flow of time to save Lois Lane after she's crushed in some ditch during the earthquake; that's not something we ISTJs would do (or type 6s for that matter); we'd spend about 10 seconds trying to save her and then move on. Other people need help too.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, i would agree. except istj as clark kent and.

esfj as superman, dont you think?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't know, I just know I always found him ridiculous and boring. Like a Ken Doll with a god complex in tights.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
ISFJ sounds right. In the 1978 film, he reverses the flow of time to save Lois Lane after she's crushed in some ditch during the earthquake; that's not something we ISTJs would do (or type 6s for that matter); we'd spend about 10 seconds trying to save her and then move on. Other people need help too.

He had ulterior motives though. I mean, selfish lust could be a motive here, it's Lois Lane. Lets not get hasty.

All jokes aside, why wouldn't an ISTJ save a significant other or family member out of duty, or a 6 out of loyalty?

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Can somebody seriously explain why Superman is a Sensor? Having excellent reaction time and physical fitness does not make you S, especially if you're a superhero. And let's not get into "the American way". The popular conception of this has little in common with the founding values of America.

(It is an aside, but I agree with those who have said they find Superman less complex and inspiring a character as, say, Batman.)

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I heard the superman in one of the most recent superman movies was very similar to myself and I'm ISTJ

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can somebody seriously explain why Superman is a Sensor? Having excellent reaction time and physical fitness does not make you S, especially if you're a superhero. And let's not get into "the American way". The popular conception of this has little in common with the founding values of America.

(It is an aside, but I agree with those who have said they find Superman less complex and inspiring a character as, say, Batman.)

I'm afraid Christian Bale ruined Batman for me. :(

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always saw him as an ESTJ myself.

But I'm OK with being associated with Superman :smile:

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't know the character well enough. I have all sisters lol.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
B

For starters, Superman really enjoys the staus quo. He longs for the simple life. He is a simple man cursed to be different from the society he admires so much. He is the model ISxJ. That said, he avoids conflict if he can so that makes him a little bit like a feeler, though he will fight to defend others and to keep earth safe. He personally does not have much of an ego. This points strongly to ISFJ.

Batman is more of a IxTJ. Maybe ISTJ since he does not entertain ideas with no practical use, though I could see INTJ for him due to his highly eclectic knowlege base (this is not a strong argument for INTJ.)

xNFP heroes are going to be gentle creative types with a need to understand everything. They are going to avoid fighting as much as possible, but will hold dear values such as Truth or Compassion that can place them in a hero role.

xNTP heroes are going to be anti-heroes, as a given rule of thumb. There are exceptions like Mcgyver, though.

xSxP heroes are going to be very literal, and will have a special disdain for villains who "kill their friends over a peice of paper."

xSxJ heroes keep life as simple as they can, only coming out when the status quo is challenged.

xNxJ heroes try to change the environment to a vision they have in mind, either endless thinking of improvements to the global system or by actively working towards that vision. This is were Superman falls short. Even when he was on Bizarro World, he did not try to change their ways, but instead was focused on maintaining harmony and getting the heck out of there.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Marmotini said:
All jokes aside, why wouldn't an ISTJ save a significant other or family member out of duty, or a 6 out of loyalty?

We would and saving a significant other would take priority if it were just one vs another, but Supes was in the middle of a natural disaster that was killing thousands. In that situation, saving the masses would take priority. A type 6 wouldn't mess with the time continuum for fear of unforseen consequences.

Lark

That's just one letter from Sherlock Holmes you know.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He had ulterior motives though. I mean, selfish lust could be a motive here, it's Lois Lane. Lets not get hasty.

I actually would agree with ISTJ 6. It makes the most sense to me.

I am thinking of Smallville Superman mainly though.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
We would and saving a significant other would take priority if it were just one vs another, but Supes was in the middle of a natural disaster that was killing thousands. In that situation, saving the masses would take priority. A type 6 wouldn't mess with the time continuum for fear of unforseen consequences.

Hmm is that a six thing then, to think of humanity? Because I hate when people show irrational preference towards even family members who are clearly wrong or evil. Yes it's normal to side with family and loved ones, but like, if my nephew raped a woman (or a man), as much as I love him, I would never try to get him out of it, and as sad as I would feel, I would expect him to be punished for it like any other rapist (not that he's a rapist, but I simply want to punch people who enable sociopathic relatives).

cm81

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know INTJs that would fit that bill perfectly.