• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hobbit MBTI

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I haven't found a thread yet for this trilogy, so I decided to start one. Please share your analysis of the characters.

This is my best assessment.

Bilbo Baggins: ISFJ (Martin Freeman gives him some ENTP-ish mannerisms)

Thorin Oakenshield: ESTJ

Gandalf: ESFP

Balin: ESFJ

Azog: ISTJ

Bard the Bowman: ENTJ

Tauriel: xSFJ?

Thranduil: INFP

Smaug: INFJ

Radaghast: ISFJ

Beorn: ISTJ

Bolg: ISTP

Dwalin: ESTP

Bofur: ENFP

Kili: ISTP

Fili: ISFP

Gloin: ESTP

Goblin-King: ENTP

Master of the Lake: ESFP

Dain Ironfoot: ESTP

Sauron: ENTP (based mostly on "The Silmarillion", but the movie corroborates the textual depictions)

Last edited:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Why INFJ for Smaug? Is it because you liked him?

My impression of him (and many of the dragons in Tolkien's works) is that they are either domineering TJ types or lazy (like Glaurung in Unfinished Tales & maybe Silmarillian?) manipulative types who use their voices to hypnotise others...which has nothing to do with MBTI but Smaug's demeanor always came across as ITP to me, specifically INTP. He didn't really give a shit about what Sauron was up to, he was happy to chill on his gold and challenge burglars to riddles.
On the other hand he does have that lust for gold in the first place.....meh I dunno. Mythical creatures are always hard to type....so the most mythical type INFJ works because of mind brain working out the stuffs.

velveteen

Senior citizen
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gandalf ESFP? Smaug INFJ? Err.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gandalf ESFP? Smaug INFJ? Err.

According to Peter Jackson's vision, i don't think OP is far away from the truth. Gandalf is a heavy SE user in the movies. With extra fireworks and all.

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I realize that INFJ for Smaug is controversial, so below is a very brief explanation of my conclusion.

Smaug deals a lot in hidden meanings/symbols/metaphors/similes, and he seems to always look for what's beneath the surface. His control-freak/brute mode is consistent with the experiences of INxJs in distress (in the grip of Se, if you will). Plus, he's awfully vulnerable to flattery; the book says that Smaug is moved by compliments even if he knows they're insincere (I can't imagine that for a T type). It's also worth noting that he's a master of psychological warfare.

While INFJs are not typically associated with "bad" or "evil", feelings of elitism can sometimes overpower their moral compass. I think that's what you have with Smaug. He thinks very highly of himself, and very low of everyone else.

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
This thread is meant for everyone to share their analysis of the cast; feel free to post yours. I'm really interested in what people think of each character

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
According to Peter Jackson's vision, i don't think OP is far away from the truth. Gandalf is a heavy SE user in the movies. With extra fireworks and all.

Thank you for noticing (I was beginning to wonder if I was alone in that observation) ;) PJ's Gandalf is so different from the canonical version that it's impossible to type them the same.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I realize that INFJ for Smaug is controversial, so below is a very brief explanation of my conclusion.

Smaug deals a lot in hidden meanings/symbols/metaphors/similes, and he seems to always look for what's beneath the surface. His control-freak/brute mode is consistent with the experiences of INxJs in distress (in the grip of Se, if you will). Plus, he's awfully vulnerable to flattery; the book says that Smaug is moved by compliments even if he knows they're insincere (I can't imagine that for a T type). It's also worth noting that he's a master of psychological warfare.

While INFJs are not typically associated with "bad" or "evil", feelings of elitism can sometimes overpower their moral compass. I think that's what you have with Smaug. He thinks very highly of himself, and very low of everyone else.

When does Smaug demonstrate looking for hidden meanings and symbols? He's just an avatar of greed and rampant materialism like all Tolkien's dragons. Actually I can see him as ISTJ over INFJ easily, he basically views the world through his strength in it and adopts an arrogant assumption about the way the world works, hence his boasting to Bilbo of his strength and power.

If anything Jackson's movies demonstrate this more than the book does. He's easily incensed by people crossing into his territory and disrespecting his authority of influence. It's a common trope in fantasy stories to have an intelligent monster guarding something through possessiveness and invented authority because of might makes right. ISTJ doesn't have to mean following someone else's status quo after all and Smaug couldn't give a shit about Sauron, although Sauron did want him on his side.

And flattery works on anyone with swollen pride, or if it's sincere depending on the person and your relation to them.

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Besides The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit is my favorite book of all time. And the movies were a spectacular detailed take on the book. I came up with a list of all of the types of the characters.

Bilbo Baggins-ISFJ
Gandalf-INTJ
Thorin Oakenshield-ISTJ
Balin-ENFJ
Dwalin-ESTP
Fili-ESFJ
Kili-ENFP
Oin-ENTP
Gloin-ESTP
Dori-ESFJ
Nori-ESTP
Ori-ISFP
Bifur-ESTP
Bofur-ESFP
Bombur-ISFP
Azog-ESTJ
Bolg-ESTP
The Necromancer-INTJ
Thranduil-ESTJ
Legolas-ESTJ (ISFP in LOTR)
Tauriel-ENFJ
Bard-ISTJ
Bain-ISFJ
Beorn-ISTP
Radagst-ESFJ
Sauruman-ENTJ
Elrond-INTJ
Galadriel-INFJ
Gwaihir-INTP
The Master of Lake Town-ESTJ
Alfrid-ESTJ
Dain Ironfoot-ESTJ
Smaug-ENTJ

So, did you agree or disagree with this list. I want to hear from you. And in case you were like, "Awe man, no INFP's" I can tell you that J.R.R.Tolkien himself is an INFP.

Always great to meet another Tolkien fan! ;)

To be completely honest, I cannot agree 80% of your typings. Your rationale is pretty good (definitely can see where you're coming from), but a lot of them simply don't hold up to cognitive function-based analysis.

Then again, some of your typings are right on the money: particularly Bilbo and Dwalin.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Master of Lake Town-ESTJ????

Try ESFP.

kaspar.luebbert

MBTI Type
INFJ
But let`s have a look at the facts. Gandalf IS incredibly introverted. He is telling nobody about his other missions and plans, he does not search the presence of other people and if he speaks up than mostly because it`s actually necessary. Gandalf is not an ESFP in the Hobbit. His actual mission later in the story, as some may know, is to keep Smaug building up an alliance with Sauron, or better to take Sauron`s possibility to control Smaug away.
I think Gandalf surely should have an introverted dominant function. Probably he`s an introverted intuitive. I really like this article, that deals with the white council: The White Council: The Introverted Intuitives of Middle-Earth – The Sacred in the Secular
Let`s get to our favorite dragon Smaug. I personally thinnk he fits in TeNi and not NiFe, so he would be an ENTJ.