• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

When INFPs go bad: The Elusive INFP Villain in Fiction

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know...

(Going into character now...)

"I don't care about you or your feelings. It is what I want that matters. My happiness is the only thing that I wish to attain. I do not care what others do and I do not want to control others, however, if you dare get in the way of my happiness, I won't skip a beat when I quickly and effectively get rid of you. Do you understand?"

(Going out of character now...)

Yes, this is my own dark side that I face. There is the selfishness in me that I try to mask by being generous.

blahblahbob

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, this is my own dark side that I face. There is the selfishness in me that I try to mask by being generous.

Weren't you INFP like a few hours ago? I could have sworn I saw you posting as INFP.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Weren't you INFP like a few hours ago? I could have sworn I saw you posting as INFP.

Yes. I know I am either one or the other, but I have never been sure one way or the other.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
INFJs are the Grinches who steal Christmas and the Antia Sarkeesians who go into fury that people are having fun on their video games.
Oh god, you're one of those idiots. :rolleyes: Obviously logical discussion is going to be a struggle with you.

And Aragorn is probably a INFJ. Regardless, ESTJ is one type he definitely isn't.

blahblahbob

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Oh god, you're one of those idiots. :rolleyes: Obviously logical discussion is going to be a struggle with you.

And Aragorn is probably a INFJ. Regardless, ESTJ is one type he definitely isn't.

I'm not really sure about Aragorn. Maybe ISTJ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXGUNvIFTQw / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmEeC8TaJsc / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w8yWQwHSaI

Maybe you're too used to all xSTJs being jerks in movies and the like to recognize the good ones?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Then make an argument for Ni/Fe for Aragorn because I don't see it at all...
Well, he's too quiet and reserved to be a Extrovert for one thing. He's intuitive, sensitive, diplomatic, compassionate, and decisive - leading with his heart rather than his head. He has a quiet interpersonal awareness and spiritual sensitivity that comes from Fe. He sees the potential value in the people around them and seeks to appeal to and bring out the best in them. He thinks cautiously about future possibilities/dangers and of the underlying elements of what is going on around him.

Boromir is a ESTJ and the differences between them are clear. Boromir is more direct, practical and forceful. He is driven by a strong sense of justice, duty and precedent. None of these things have much influence on Aragorn - he forges a different path.

Cygnus

I know...

(Going into character now...)

"I don't care about you or your feelings. It is what I want that matters. My happiness is the only thing that I wish to attain. I do not care what others do and I do not want to control others, however, if you dare get in the way of my happiness, I won't skip a beat when I quickly and effectively get rid of you. Do you understand?"

(Going out of character now...)

That sounds like classic Fi-PoLR to me.

Same functions. Introvert/Extrovert is too insignificant to qualify as a legitimate type confusion.
Potato, tomato, tomato, potato.

blahblahbob

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Well, he's too quiet and reserved to be a Extrovert for one thing. He's intuitive, sensitive, diplomatic, compassionate, and decisive - leading with his heart rather than his head. He has a quiet interpersonal awareness and spiritual sensitivity that comes from Fe. He sees the potential value in the people around them and seeks to appeal to and bring out the best in them. He thinks cautiously about future possibilities/dangers and of the underlying elements of what is going on around him.

Boromir is a ESTJ and the differences between them are clear. Boromir is more direct, practical and forceful. He is driven by a strong sense of justice, duty and precedent.

The three scenes I linked are extremely xSTJ. Aragorn is very loyal, has a strong sense of duty, believes in what is in front of him ("Open war is upon you whether you will have it or not"). He's is not Fe with compassion, but very Fi. You forget that ISTJ's are just upside down INFPs while an INFJ is an inverted INFP.

Future possibilities is a Ne thing which xSTJs possess.

Boromir is far too emotionally volatile - also emotionally manipulative - maybe ESFJ or something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1uGDjSVLOk / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9fpWRyAl4U

Aragorn is very emotionally reserved - like in this scene, he takes Boromir's anger at him, until finally his emotions lash out at Boromir - that's usually an Fi thing more than Fe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcYPWM5ukU8

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The three scenes I linked are extremely xSTJ. Aragorn is very loyal, has a strong sense of duty, believes in what is in front of him ("Open war is upon you whether you will have it or not"). He's is not Fe with compassion, but very Fi. You forget that ISTJ's are just upside down INFPs while an INFJ is an inverted INFP.
He's not dutiful like a ESTJ. He's a ranger, who is basically a drifter loyal to no king or ruler. He's loyal to his friends and to his values, but so can any type. He's a man trying to figure out his place in the world. He doesn't feel any sense of duty to become king. He's not willing to storm into Minis Tirith and take the crown that's rightfully his - he's actually hesitant to become king. He's focused on helping solve the problems of Middle Earth by guiding others to make good decisions, than taking up a leadership role. He only does so when he's forced to due to a lack of leaders. The quote you mention shows his ability to read the situation and the way things are going in ways others cannot (ie. Ni). He sees that war is coming and tries convince others to get ready and take action before it is too late. This is foreseeing things, not seeing what is immediately in front of him - others are being too short-sighted and he is trying to snap them out of it.

Future possibilities is a Ne thing which xSTJs possess.
Actually Ni is the function most linked to foreseeing the future. Ne is about possibilities in general. Ns tend to be more future focussed, but NJs are the best at it.

Boromir is far too emotionally volatile - also emotionally manipulative - maybe ESFJ or something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1uGDjSVLOk / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9fpWRyAl4U
Who is making assumptions about types now? Boromir is not manipulative - he's far too direct for it to be so. He lies and tries to persuade Frodo to give him the ring - which any type could do. The ring creates a desperation in people that would affect all types. Boromir just had more of a need (ie. to save his people) so he was more susceptible. And Te doms are more inclined to be volatile (not always but often). :shrug:

I can't watch videos at the moment, so I can't look at these clips.

Aragorn is very emotionally reserved - like in this scene, he takes Boromir's anger at him, until finally his emotions lash out at Boromir - that's usually an Fi thing more than Fe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcYPWM5ukU8
This could be true of any introverted type.

All this is besides the point and is a total derail from the topic, anyway.

blahblahbob

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
He's not dutiful like a ESTJ. He's a ranger, who is basically a drifter loyal to no king or ruler. He's loyal to his friends and to his values, but so can any type. He's a man trying to figure out his place in the world. He doesn't feel any sense of duty to become king. He's not willing to storm into Minis Tirith and take the crown that's rightfully his - he's actually hesitant to become king. He's focused on helping solve the problems of Middle Earth by guiding others to make good decisions, than taking up a leadership role. He only does so when he's forced to due to a lack of leaders. The quote you mention shows his ability to read the situation and the way things are going in ways others cannot (ie. Ni). He sees that war is coming and tries convince others to get ready and take action before it is too late. This is foreseeing things, not seeing what is immediately in front of him - others are being too short-sighted and he is trying to snap them out of it.

He knows there's war coming because he was tutored by Elrond, and was present at the Council of Elrond and because he knows the importance of the ring. I'll concede you were right that he's probably not ESTJ. But, INFJ? No... I don't believe that for a second. He doesn't trust Boromir because he was raised by elves. He fears the weakness of humanity, in himself as well.

You say he doesn't have a sense of duty. As far as I can tell he does everything out of his sense of duty. He fears not living up to his own expectations of him. He's upright, loyal, dutiful, humble, decisive when he needs to be, contemplative when he doesn't need to be. I just disagree with your assessment. I really don't think he's INFJ at all. Wormtongue is INFJ

fqtqq.jpg

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That sounds like classic Fi-PoLR to me.

Same functions. Introvert/Extrovert is too insignificant to qualify as a legitimate type confusion.
Potato, tomato, tomato, potato.
That is Fi, but it is how I would see it expressed in a villain.

Ayson

MBTI Type
INFJ
The banality of evil

I think an INFP villain, would be someone who stands by to let evil happen, thereby facilitating it. No offense, but INFPs often pride themselves on their values, when those values aren't necessarily always observable on the behavioral level. I think evil is also letting it happen.

Maybe we as INFJs are capable of committing atrocious murders, when we go down the wrong path. But I don't see INFPs sacrificing themselves to stop it. Not because that wouldn't correspond with their values, but because they get so lost in the many paths in their head that they never arrive there.

One could also argue that when INFPs go wrong, they develop a deep selfishness that is complex because they don't themselves perceive as such.

I don't know if anyone would ever agree with me on this, but I can sort of see Daisy Buchanan from the Great Gatsby as such a person. And she is definitely a heinous person.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Similar to Sweeny Todd in just aesthetic and occupational regard, Edward Scissorhands is seen societally as an INFP villain. He's also one of my favorite film characters ^.^ so cool, aesthetically, and emotionally compelling.

EuropeLover

MBTI Type
€U
Makoto Itou from School Days (I don't think he's an ISXP because people often type the boring/harem anime male as INFP. He seems Ne more than Se, believe it or not.)

INFPtheQuietOne

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yuki from Mirai Nikki is an INFP and sort of a villain because he went all crazy killing the orphans. Also, he sometimes is selfish towards Yuno. Even with himself, he can be a villain. He didn't think for himself so he ends up dragging himself into all these conflicts.
Nina from Code Geass is definitely a great example of INFP villain

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think it's a mistake to believe that all INFPs see themselves as virtuous. Fi isn't always an "I feel virtuous" function. Sometimes it's just "I do what my emotions tell me to do." There's nothing about any of the MBTI types that implies virtue or lack thereof. I think Jung would have been very uncomfortable attaching value judgements and morals to his temperments.

Jung disliked Fi, calling it petty.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Red Hood is like the perfect example for The Dark Side INFP.

tumblr_m3bko6Aayv1rshrsho1_500.png

It all goes down to his pain and feeling abandoned. And revenge for feeling betrayed and lots of self pain that's caused him into the downward spiral to kill off villains instead of just take them to jail like batman does.