• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Daria

Type Daria

• ENFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFJ

• ENTP

• ENTJ

• ISFP

• ESFP

• ESTP

• ISTP

• ESFJ

• ISFJ

• ESTJ

• ISTJ

• Total voters

colourscientist

based on the following, she seems more INTJ than INTP: very prominent fear of sensory activities like driving, sports (and painting hair), endless sarcasm, aversion to fun, black and white values, self-righteous, kind of controlling of Jane.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I don't think this has been posted yet...it's from the Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki. It makes a case that Daria is an INTJ with underdeveloped auxiliary Te.

Daria Morgendorfer: INTJ

I think they have a point about her use of irony, and how her humor is often based on "saying things that the person she's talking to will misinterpret, and can only be understood for their real humor by people who 'have a clue' ". That's said to be a common Ni thing. And she definitely seems more Fi than Fe.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
its pretty obvious that shes an young INTP. jane is more of an IXTJ. trent ENTP

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, wow; I never caught that article of the wiki. And not only that, at the bottom, there is a second "Hypothesis", of ISTJ (which is what I have always been suggesting).
I think it's clear she's a "Melancholic" (Chart the Course) type. INTP's might have a cynical streak at times, but they are generally much more "light and airy" (from the Ne) than she is. To be an INTP, she would have to be a perpetually depressed or beaten down by life one, yet it seems she is just being her normal self, and this would fit an IxTJ's interaction style more.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
..or beaten down by life one

you dont see that? shes like the scum of the school stereotype, but the surrounding people are naturally built not to be too dominant so that it wouldnt be a show about bullying the nerd.

one thing people should understand about this type of shows and typing the characters is that the characters are based on real life stereotypes, but the program as a whole(other characters, situations etc) is changed to make the program worth watching. with daria and her world, its like an INTP in a stereotypical nerd setting, but everything modified to be ideal for her(no stealing lunch money, can actually talk to people if she wants to etc). so you cant really say with programs like this that hey, she managed not to get beaten after a school, she has to be ISTJ because ISTJs are bad asses, but you need to look past the, well past everything and dig deep in the characters mind set. think of things like whats the type of the person who this character is based on(naturally also what the characteristics of the character are from some real person and what are made up, which characteristics are overly pronounced and what are kept hidden if they are from a real person or if they are just projections of the who ever wrote the show, you need to look at the whole program as if it came from a eyes of certain type) and stuff like that.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
By "beaten down by life", I didn't mean literal, physical "beating". (I wondered if that would be mistaken that way, and I specifically included "by life" to try to avoid that).
She to me looks like someone who simply defends against life and handles any fear of rejection by rejecting others first, and that tends to be a "directive" thing (IST/INJ).

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
you dont see that? shes like the scum of the school stereotype, but the surrounding people are naturally built not to be too dominant so that it wouldnt be a show about bullying the nerd.

It isn't just that the other characters aren't dominant. They actually don't seem to mind Daria that much. They can't really relate to her, but they don't reject her outright either. Daria's isolation at school seems to have more to do with her rejecting her peers, rather than vice-versa. Some of that may be "reject them before they reject me" as Eric mentioned (and this came out a couple times during the show). She also has high moral standards that can cause her to clash with others (which is pointed out several times by other characters on the show) and prides herself on her ability to see things others can't (Fi and Ni?). A number of her schoolmates seemed to have respect for her, even if they didn't consider her part of their social groups. She may be isolated and jaded, but it isn't really because the world has shut her out. It's more something she imposed on herself.

one thing people should understand about this type of shows and typing the characters is that the characters are based on real life stereotypes, but the program as a whole(other characters, situations etc) is changed to make the program worth watching. with daria and her world, its like an INTP in a stereotypical nerd setting, but everything modified to be ideal for her(no stealing lunch money, can actually talk to people if she wants to etc). so you cant really say with programs like this that hey, she managed not to get beaten after a school, she has to be ISTJ because ISTJs are bad asses, but you need to look past the, well past everything and dig deep in the characters mind set. think of things like whats the type of the person who this character is based on(naturally also what the characteristics of the character are from some real person and what are made up, which characteristics are overly pronounced and what are kept hidden if they are from a real person or if they are just projections of the who ever wrote the show, you need to look at the whole program as if it came from a eyes of certain type) and stuff like that.

Obviously the characters aren't real, and Daria doesn't really exist and so does not really have cognitive functions and all. I don't see how that changes anything. You can still look at what she says and does and how she reacts, and decide which type her words, actions and reactions best fit. Why does it matter exactly how the character was cobbled together? We can never really know that anyway.

And who's saying she's an ISTJ because she doesn't get beaten up? :huh: People are talking about cognitive functions and interaction styles. What is the argument for her being INTP? I haven't seen much; people just seem to be assuming that a nerdy, sarcastic, passive loner must be an INTP. Often, but not always. :wink:

Personally, while I liked the show as a teenager and felt similar to her in a number of ways, I sometimes did not understand why she'd get so bothered over certain ethical matters. For example: feeling ashamed of caring about her looks enough to try contact lenses, getting angry at Jodie when she mentioned her father's name in order to get a banker to approve her for a loan, complaining about soda advertisements in her school (she thought it was sleazy and took her complaint right to the company, IIRC). Stuff like this doesn't strike me as very INTP-ish.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
It isn't just that the other characters aren't dominant. They actually don't seem to mind Daria that much. They can't really relate to her, but they don't reject her outright either. Daria's isolation at school seems to have more to do with her rejecting her peers, rather than vice-versa. Some of that may be "reject them before they reject me" as Eric mentioned (and this came out a couple times during the show). She also has high moral standards that can cause her to clash with others (which is pointed out several times by other characters on the show) and prides herself on her ability to see things others can't (Fi and Ni?). A number of her schoolmates seemed to have respect for her, even if they didn't consider her part of their social groups. She may be isolated and jaded, but it isn't really because the world has shut her out. It's more something she imposed on herself.

Obviously the characters aren't real, and Daria doesn't really exist and so does not really have cognitive functions and all. I don't see how that changes anything. You can still look at what she says and does and how she reacts, and decide which type her words, actions and reactions best fit. Why does it matter exactly how the character was cobbled together? We can never really know that anyway.

And who's saying she's an ISTJ because she doesn't get beaten up? :huh: People are talking about cognitive functions and interaction styles. What is the argument for her being INTP? I haven't seen much; people just seem to be assuming that a nerdy, sarcastic, passive loner must be an INTP. Often, but not always. :wink:

Personally, while I liked the show as a teenager and felt similar to her in a number of ways, I sometimes did not understand why she'd get so bothered over certain ethical matters. For example: feeling ashamed of caring about her looks enough to try contact lenses, getting angry at Jodie when she mentioned her father's name in order to get a banker to approve her for a loan, complaining about soda advertisements in her school (she thought it was sleazy and took her complaint right to the company, IIRC). Stuff like this doesn't strike me as very INTP-ish.

+100000

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

this whole pushing people away thing. imo it would be pretty typical for an INTP to push stupid people away because they annoy us most the time, especially if those people are something like characters in darias school. i did that too to some extend when i was in school and darias age.

i have strong moral standards and ethics that can clash with others(even with the law), its not Fi Ni thing, its pretty typical INTP thing. when it comes to INTJ vs INTP morals, its usually the INTJ whos lacking(or has a twisted or really selfish view on) them due to tert Fi, especially at that age.

good characters are built to have a real personality, and often are based more or less on real persons.

luckily no one is saying that, but people seem to base their opinions quite alot on stupid surface stuff like her not getting beaten up because ISTJs dont even if they are nerds... its not meant to be any argument for her being an INTP..

i wasnt nerdy(i did hang with nerds tho) or passive loner at her age in school and that sort of stuff has nothing to do with me thinking shes an INTP.

ohhh, you sure you are an INTP? all that stuff about contact lenses, getting angry at jodie etc is something i can relate to 100% and those things strike me as very very INTPish, not all INTPs are like that tho, but those are INTP things still. this sort of stuff is one of the big reasons why im so sure shes an INTP..

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, wow; I never caught that article of the wiki. And not only that, at the bottom, there is a second "Hypothesis", of ISTJ (which is what I have always been suggesting).
I think it's clear she's a "Melancholic" (Chart the Course) type. INTP's might have a cynical streak at times, but they are generally much more "light and airy" (from the Ne) than she is. To be an INTP, she would have to be a perpetually depressed or beaten down by life one, yet it seems she is just being her normal self, and this would fit an IxTJ's interaction style more.

I'm starting to come around to this idea, INTPs are not the most optimistic types but they are usually pretty open and accepting, heck, some are even quite jovial(look at Einstein). Daria just seems perpetually dismissive(supporting chart the course interaction style), I don't see any Ne-style brainstorming and zany, imaginative play with her at all. I think she could be a INTJ in a NiFi loop, I see little Te in her(she is more of an observer), maybe that's were the confusion about her type is coming from.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm starting to come around to this idea, INTPs are not the most optimistic types but they are usually pretty open and accepting, heck, some are even quite jovial(look at Einstein). Daria just seems perpetually dismissive(supporting chart the course interaction style), I don't see any Ne-style brainstorming and zany, imaginative play with her at all. I think she could be a INTJ in a NiFi loop, I see little Te in her(she is more of an observer), maybe that's were the confusion about her type is coming from.

put a young INTP in the same position as daria is in and you wont see any sort of optimism.
you shouldnt think what you dont see and think about what you see, fictional characters arent complete human beings.
no way she is Te, have you noticed how she explains things to people? thats pure Ti. also the way she treats others while doing her incredibly detailed and covering everything on the subject type of explaining is how INTPs treats inferior people(or people he/she considers as inferior on the subject he is talking about). its like explaining quantum mechanics to a hill billy and laugh inside when the hill billy just scratches his head looking all stupid. INTJs are not capable of explaining things like daria does, she explains the reasoning, INTJs explain the facts, but fail to communicate decent reasoning in spontaneous way as daria does.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
she's definitely intj, that article up there says it way better than i could.

and comparing intp's and intj's i knew in high school, she's way more similar to the intj's.

(i love the show but find her character totally annoying btw)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yeah, this is exactly the type of thing I think about (what a world of difference):
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/image.php?u=7&dateline=1302135840&type=profile
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519wTIdYSsL._SL250_.jpg

Daria on the other hand looks and acts just like a close friend of ours who is the perennial ISTJ "Melancholy Compulsive".

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
this whole pushing people away thing. imo it would be pretty typical for an INTP to push stupid people away because they annoy us most the time, especially if those people are something like characters in darias school. i did that too to some extend when i was in school and darias age.

And it wouldn't be typical for an INTJ? I think any unusually intelligent kid would feel a sort of disconnection from their peers, especially an introvert. That may be why we've got people from several types here saying they relate to her. And, that's not the only reason she self-isolates. She semi-admitted a couple times that she pushes people away because she can avoid rejection that way, people can't reject her if she rejects them first (perhaps indicating chart-the-course interaction style, as Eric said). She also focuses a lot on how shallow and corrupt they are, which the article I liked to suggested comes from tertiary Fi.

luckily no one is saying that, but people seem to base their opinions quite alot on stupid surface stuff like her not getting beaten up because ISTJs dont even if they are nerds...

So who's doing that here?

i have strong moral standards and ethics that can clash with others(even with the law), its not Fi Ni thing, its pretty typical INTP thing. when it comes to INTJ vs INTP morals, it's usually the INTJ whos lacking(or has a twisted or really selfish view on) them due to tert Fi, especially at that age.

ohhh, you sure you are an INTP? all that stuff about contact lenses, getting angry at jodie etc is something i can relate to 100% and those things strike me as very very INTPish, not all INTPs are like that tho, but those are INTP things still. this sort of stuff is one of the big reasons why im so sure shes an INTP..

Wow, already bringing my type into this? :laugh: Maybe you're the one who's not an INTP, or not a typical one. Why would tertiary Fi users have a poorer sense of ethics than inferior Fe users?

Most everyone has moral standards, but having unusually high ones, having them repeatedly clash with people around you, and frequently feeling guilt for reasons others would consider insignificant really aren't common INTP traits. And in the examples I listed, her reactions make far more sense from an Fi perspective than an Fe one: nothing about these situations hurt anyone in any tangible way. In the case of the argument with Jodie, they weren't even applying for a real loan; it was a school assignment. But she still reacted strongly to the hypocrisy. She seems to care a lot about intent and meaning, regardless of effect. Jodie, by the way, seems like some sort of FJ to me. Helen talked to Daria after their argument and said she thought Jodie was more "pragmatic" than Daria, a word that's been used on these boards to describe Fe and distinguish it from Fi.

no way she is Te, have you noticed how she explains things to people? thats pure Ti. also the way she treats others while doing her incredibly detailed and covering everything on the subject type of explaining is how INTPs treats inferior people(or people he/she considers as inferior on the subject he is talking about). its like explaining quantum mechanics to a hill billy and laugh inside when the hill billy just scratches his head looking all stupid. INTJs are not capable of explaining things like daria does, she explains the reasoning, INTJs explain the facts, but fail to communicate decent reasoning in spontaneous way as daria does.

Like when? I don't recall much of this "incredibly detailed" explaining. She seems to avoid explaining things to "the stupids" whenever possible. She only does it when she's really pushed. She normally prefers to just make jokes and remarks that others around her don't understand. There was an Ni vs. Ne humor thread here a ways back, and that quality been described as typical of Ni humor: the fact that others don't pick up on it is part of what makes it funny.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!

Yep. I'm completely with blankpages on this. She oozes Fi. I would believe INFP over INTP, but she's probably not an NF (maybe an extremely disillusioned one), so I would take IxTJ. Tert Fi.

Actually I was going to point to the contact lens ep myself: this is exactly the kind of thing I relate to, and I'm dominant Fi. But to the ITP case: I can see how the same thing would sound ITP-ish, probably because of inferior Fe rejection. It would be like, "Everyone else does X, why can't they think for themselves? I'm going to avoid X just for the purpose of showing how I think for myself." or something like that. It wouldn't be for the sake of individuality, it would be to avoid conformity. These can often overlap, but they're not the same thing at the root. I wonder which one Daria is actually doing... avoiding conformity for its own sake, or...

Chloe

Typing someone based on their (supposed) tertiary function is one legit reason why following MBTI should be officially considered as sect. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Typing someone based on their (supposed) tertiary function is one legit reason why following MBTI should be officially considered as sect. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Uhhh ok. I don't know what you mean. I definitely have an issue with assigning functional orders to fictional people though. She's still not an INTP though, not even behaviourally.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We're not really typing by the tertiary, were using it to explain some behaviors that support the type we have suggested by other means (particularly, an obviously preferred T). It's evidence, not the main argument.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
It always seems like everyone here is so desperate to pin a character that they like as an INTP. It's infuriating.