• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Roger from American Dad

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
4w3: emotional, feels broken, constantly trying to find bizarre ways to express himself, feels under appreciated, drama queen

Thanks!

2s are openly emotional. I don't know if he feels broken or what. 2s feel under-appreciated and are drama queens. He doesn't express himself in 4-like ways, e.g., artistically. I see him acting out as a defense mechanism for feeling under-appreciated - he's a definite attention-whore.

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Pretty sure he's a 7

Seems like it. In the clip I posted, pretty much everything he did was for the sake of his own amusement with little regard to others. I say he's an ESTP 7w6 so/sp.

redacted

So he was a sociopath for one episode then.

How much of the show have you watched?

He is consistently a sociopath -- you can keep declaring that his character changes episode to episode but it really doesn't.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How much of the show have you watched?

He is consistently a sociopath -- you can keep declaring that his character changes episode to episode but it really doesn't.

I never declared that. Roger constantly changes - at least in his appearance. That's why I say he is chameleon-like, thus a type three.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Chameleon -> type 3?

That's a bit simple, don't you think?

I have other observations on record above, in fact I was the one encouraging others here to make observations of traits rather than their "feelings" about Roger's personality traits. But even "Chameleon -> type 3" is better than nothing or feelings. And the idea that it's "simple" is not disproof. I am open to evidence - not feelings - that Roger is a 7 or something other than ESFP.

redacted

I have other observations on record above, in fact I was the one encouraging others here to make observations of traits rather than their "feelings" about Roger's personality traits. But even "Chameleon -> type 3" is better than nothing or feelings. And the idea that it's "simple" is not disproof. I am open to evidence - not feelings - that Roger is a 7 or something other than ESFP.

He basically never says anything or even thinks about values, which pretty much rules out F. We're not arguing about ESxP, so yeah, ESTP.

Type 3 is oriented towards image of success, which I don't see in Roger -- he's pretty much only motivated by short term desires, which he drops at the first sign of anything more intriguing.

Competency types (type 3 is one) "try solving problems in an objective, unemotional manner. Unlike people of the reactive style, they don't get worked up when problems happen, they remain cool and emotionally detached from them."

Whereas positive outlook types (type 7) " tend to avoid negative thoughts or situations. Under stress, they seek to avoid the problem, distract themselves with something else, or minimize the problem...They would rather have everyone happy (including themselves) than to deal with problems or negativity (especially in themselves). Unfortunately this approach can lead them to deny the existence of their problems and therefore delay addressing them."

Roger is very clearly positive outlook.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He basically never says anything or even thinks about values, which pretty much rules out F. We're not arguing about ESxP, so yeah, ESTP.

Then Roger has a strong Fe tertiary. However, he seeks out new possibilities in the social realm, but can't commit to any of them due to his being socially erratic. Therefore I can't rule out Ne, and ENTP becomes a possibility, albeit with weak introverted functions. I think someone else mentioned ENTP as a possibility. [MENTION=14969]Brian2626[/MENTION]. Although as a very social being Roger also appears to be an ENFP ([MENTION=14969]Brian2626[/MENTION] once again), but not in terms of Fi.

redacted

Then Roger has a strong Fe tertiary. However, he seeks out new possibilities in the social realm, but can't commit to any of them due to his being socially erratic. Therefore I can't rule out Ne, and ENTP becomes a possibility, albeit with weak introverted functions. I think someone else mentioned ENTP as a possibility. [MENTION=14969]Brian2626[/MENTION]. Although as a very social being Roger also appears to be an ENFP ([MENTION=14969]Brian2626[/MENTION] once again), but not in terms of Fi.

I have less of a problem with the ENTP hypothesis than any ExFP. I still think he's Se dominant, though -- he doesn't seem like an abstract-oriented thinker and he's almost a stereotype of ESTP impulsiveness.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have less of a problem with the ENTP hypothesis than any ExFP. I still think he's Se dominant, though -- he doesn't seem like an abstract-oriented thinker and he's almost a stereotype of ESTP impulsiveness.

Now it's my turn to say what if "impulsiveness -> ENTP" is too simple. Perhaps you are confusing Ne with the most abstractivist function which is Ni.

redacted

Now it's my turn to say what if "impulsiveness -> ENTP" is too simple. Perhaps you are confusing Ne with the most abstractivist function which is Ni.

N is by definition abstract... An Ne dominant plays around with metaphor and abstract comparisons all the time (since it's extroverted, it is spurred by environmental factors, the only difference between Ne and Ni is that Ni is spurred by internal factors). I don't see this in Roger whatsoever. Se doms on the other hand play around with concrete environmental factors, which is pretty much the epitome of Roger's character. I don't know how to make my argument more clear.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
N is by definition abstract... An Ne dominant plays around with metaphor and abstract comparisons all the time (since it's extroverted, it is spurred by environmental factors, the only difference between Ne and Ni is that Ni is spurred by internal factors). I don't see this in Roger whatsoever. Se doms on the other hand play around with concrete environmental factors, which is pretty much the epitome of Roger's character. I don't know how to make my argument more clear.

Ne by definition seeks out possibilities rather than facts. The facts provoke these possibilities which are then creatively turned into new realities. I see Roger as being socially creative in terms of quickly creating and then just as rapidly discarding new social identities for himself.