• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Zappa

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Frank Zappa.

Type Him.

I've seen him typed intj, entp, istp, etc. Thoughts?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know his type but I loathe his music.

Haha, yeah, people tend to either love or hate zappa. There's rarely people who merely like/dislike him or think his music is "okay"

I've always thought he was a tad bit overrated. Zappa fans tell me I'm just too dumb to get it. Whatever.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Haha, yeah, people tend to either love or hate zappa. There's rarely people who merely like/dislike him or think his music is "okay"

I've always thought he was a tad bit overrated.

Overrated? Eh I don't know, maybe not. I haven't really given his work a lot of my time, but I know he's a talented musician, and he deserves the credit he gets for that (I guess), but I mean from what I have heard, his "humour", his singing, and just dumb songs really get on my nerves.

And:

Zappa fans tell me I'm just too dumb to get it. Whatever.

Yeah whatever lol.

That being said.. I have an INTJ friend who loves him, so :shrug:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Overrated? Eh I don't know, maybe not. I haven't really given his work a lot of my time, but I know he's a talented musician, and he deserves the credit he gets for that (I guess), but I mean from what I have heard, his "humour", his singing, and just dumb songs really get on my nerves.

And:

Yeah whatever lol.

That being said.. I have an INTJ friend who loves him, so :shrug:

I've never really known where to start. His catalogue is HUGE. I haven't even made it through all of Eno's discography yet. One day I will get into Zappa and it's all I will listen to for weeks. I do that a lot with music. It's how I got into Bowie years ago. It wasn't enough to hear a best of comp--I had to hear every album, every obscure B-side.

A college friend played some zappa for me once. I kind of wrote it off for similar reasons as you mentioned.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I've always thought he was a tad bit overrated. Zappa fans tell me I'm just too dumb to get it. Whatever.
Wut? Rude.

I'm a Zappa fan -- I might think people are "too dumb to get it" if they don't at least respect him for his musicianship, composition skills, etc, but otherwise I feel like you have to have a particular sense of humor to like him. You don't have to be smart to think "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" is funny.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wut? Rude.

I'm a Zappa fan -- I might think people are "too dumb to get it" if they don't at least respect him for his musicianship, composition skills, etc, but otherwise I feel like you have to have a particular sense of humor to like him. You don't have to be smart to think "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" is funny.

I have a weird sense of humor... I'd probably love his shit if I took the time to dive into it. Like I said above, when I get into an artist or composer, I usually have to hear EVERYTHING, so I'm a bit nervous.... Zappa made over 60 albums....do I start with the early shit and move forward chronologically or should I start with one of his landmark albums and ignore chronological release order? I haven't undertaken such a massive back catalogue exploration since listening to the complete works of Mozart. Plus there is the issue of finances, assuming I don't pursue illegal means of acquiring his music.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a weird sense of humor... I'd probably love his shit if I took the time to dive into it. Like I said above, when I get into an artist or composer, I usually have to hear EVERYTHING, so I'm a bit nervous.... Zappa made over 60 albums....do I start with the early shit and move forward chronologically or should I start with one of his landmark albums and ignore chronological release order? I haven't undertaken such a massive back catalogue exploration since listening to the complete works of Mozart.
I say start with the landmark stuff and move on from there.

My suggestions for where to start:
- Freak Out! (with the Mothers of Invention) and/or
- We're Only In It For The Money (with the Mothers of Invention)
- Hot Rats (my personal favorite)
- Greatest Hits collection (might as well)

The good thing about starting with greatest hits, with Zappa, is that he has such clear "phases" to his work. Mothers-era Zappa is so different from 80's Zappa, versus late-era orchestral Zappa and Hot Rats-era instrumental Zappa. That way you can get a good idea, starting off, of which phases you like the best, and you can move through the discography that way.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I say start with the landmark stuff and move on from there.

My suggestions for where to start:
- Freak Out! (with the Mothers of Invention) and/or
- We're Only In It For The Money (with the Mothers of Invention)
- Hot Rats (my personal favorite)
- Greatest Hits collection (might as well)

The good thing about starting with greatest hits, with Zappa, is that he has such clear "phases" to his work. Mothers-era Zappa is so different from 80's Zappa, versus late-era orchestral Zappa and Hot Rats-era instrumental Zappa. That way you can get a good idea, starting off, of which phases you like the best, and you can move through the discography that way.
That's how I approached Bowie and Eno. Thanks :)

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]

If you like Frank Zappa perhaps you might like this album.

Nymphie

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always thought that he was an INTP but sites usually type him as ISTP.

Of course, a lot of typing sites aren't renowned for accuracy...(Looking at you Celebritytypes! There are NOT that many ENTPs...)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always thought that he was an INTP but sites usually type him as ISTP.

He's a tough one. Watching various interview footage, I kind of think ENTP. However, if we go by that stereotype of ISTPs wielding tools (and musical instruments) as extensions of themselves, it certainly makes sense, given his level of virtuosity with the guitar.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
One thing I admire about Zappa was his remarkable ability to make a song every 2 minutes. When he took up the guitar he came up with some new riff or hook in no time. But his lyrics are too tongue-in-cheek and too T for me. Not much of a fan either. I'd type him xNTP.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alright. Zappa = quintessential ENTP guitarist/songwriter.

quintessential ISTP? I dunno, Jimmy Page? maybe Hendrix?

Brian May or Robert Fripp for quintessential INTP guitarists.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh man, people keep recommending Ween to me. I should check them out.

[MENTION=19700]Fuzzy Conduit[/MENTION] I don't know about ISTP, but I'd definitely say Josh Homme for ESTP.

sorenx7

His music never personally appealed to me at all. However, I'd rate Zappa as a unique, brilliant artist. As for what I like, I lean way more toward Hendrix. As for type, I'd have no idea, except to say he was some kind of extrovert and Hendrix was some kind of introvert.