• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sunshine

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Has anyone seen the movie Sunshine? What do you think?

My guesses:

Searle - ENTP
Capa - (I/E)NT(J/P)
Corazon - INTJ
Kaneda - INTP
Cassie - INFP
Mace - ENTJ
Trey - INTJ
Harvey - No idea

It may have just been the relatively silent environment of the movie that tricked me into thinking there were so many I's. Although they were all scientists/engineers.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I've never seen the movie- but wow, all N's!

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Actually Mace could be ESTJ. Maybe even Trey (could be an S, I mean). I have an N bias.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not skilled enough to type anyone, I just wanted to say how much I loved this movie :)

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Has anyone seen the movie Sunshine? What do you think?

My guesses:

Searle - ENTP
Capa - (I/E)NT(J/P)
Corazon - INTJ
Kaneda - INTP
Cassie - INFP
Mace - ENTJ
Trey - INTJ
Harvey - No idea

It may have just been the relatively silent environment of the movie that tricked me into thinking there were so many I's. Although they were all scientists/engineers.

Capa- INTP
Cassie- INFP
Mace- ESTP he was grounding all the intuitives the whole time.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I love this movie. One of the best sci-fi pictures in the past decade.

I especially enjoyed Chris Evans' performance as Mace.
It was a pitch-perfect presentation of an ISTP.

Mace wasn't some over-the-top badass or "lone wolf" anti-hero.
He was cold, logical, strong-minded and fearless. But incredibly grounded and realistic.
Clearly the minority sensor of the Icarus II and the Ti was VERY strong with him.

How ironic. An accurate sample of one of the most popular archetypes in a science fiction film.
It was so concise, I'll be damned if you couldn't consider it a deconstruction. Heh.

As for the rest (watching it now in glorious HD):

Capa-INTP
Cassie-INFP (Ne mindmelds with Capa)
Corazon-INTJ (Ni and Te clearly present)
Harvey-ISFJ
Kaneda-INxx (?)
Trey-INTP (mathematically oriented, absent-minded, riddled with self-doubt)
Searle-ENFJ (Crew psychiatrist, altruistic, non-aggressive yet persuasive)
Pinbacker-INFJ (Ni philosophy; indulges in psychotic fantasy mumbo-jumbo)
Mace-ISTP (mechanical, hands-on, naturally and calmly assumes leadership role in crisis situations)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
My guesses:

Capa- INTP
Mace- ISTP
Corazon-ISFJ
Cassie-ISFP
Searle-ENFJ
Kaneda-ISTJ
Trey-INTJ
Pinbacker-INFJ
Harvey-ISTJ

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
My guesses:

Capa- INTP
Mace- ISTP ESTP
Corazon- ISFJ
Cassie- ISFP
Searle- ENFJ
Kaneda- ISTJ
Trey- INTJ
Pinbacker- INFJ -or- ESTJ
Harvey- ISTJ

Similar..

Pinbacker seemed principled to me, which easily suggests ESTJ.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=5639]JocktheMotie[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6005]Mace[/MENTION] -- you guys I think have the best guesses at the character list here.

Mace (the character) could go either way (xSTP), but he has a kind of IT rigor about him, ESTPs are generally more outwardly directed than the way Mace involves himself.

I see both guesses of Pinbacker as viable. Is his outward aggression / attempts to control an internal vision gone mad, or is it simply part of his natural bent out of whack? Hard to tell.

Trey's an INTx tossup; i think one problem with genius is that it can supplant personality past a certain point; we can all agree he was very high-strung and couldn't handle his own mistakes/failures well, due to a lack of intrapersonal/emotional core and being little more (functionally) than a human calculator.

Searle's type was ambiguous to me, but ENFJ actually might be a decent read; he's type A in his own way, and has both extrovert and introvert traits, seems to connect with each crew member easily, can provide clear feedback to them, has developed a decent rational approach to problems especially in regards to the personnel... he knows exactly who is best suited to resolve a particular problem and he doesn't treat himself any differently than he treats others, even when it leads to the culmination of his own journey.

The other crew members all seem pretty straightforward to me (especially Harvey... he was kinda channeling ISTJ archetype, there... both good and bad, whereas Kaneda is far more mature and balanced).

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Ooh, thanks for resurrecting this thread. I've changed my mind on a lot of characters.

Capa - INTP
Cassie - ISFP
Corazon - ISTJ
Harvey - ESFJ
Kaneda - ISTJ
Trey - ISFJ
Searle - ENFJ
Mace - ESTJ

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
^I came across this thread long before I even registered here.
I watched it last night and figured I'd give it a crack.

Mace has to be an ISTP. C'mon.
He's even a mechanical fixer-upper, for God's sake!

Metaphorically, he represented atheism. This is why there was so much punctuation on his freezing to death (a contrast to the searing capabilities of the God-like sun, which engulfed everything else). All of his decisions were based on present scientific data. "Spirituality" was not a word in his vocabulary.

In other words, the man was cracked out on Ti.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, revisiting now after a few (hahaha, what, TEN???. As someone else mentioned, the location of the story (outer space, very disciplined environment and goal, small group in close proximity so they only get to interact with each other and some of their normal choices might be stymied):

• Searle - ENTP, probably? He also seems to respect Capa and gives him opportunities when Capa does the introvert thing and doesn't speak up. I had also wondered ENFJ (he seems to have a really good sense of the people on the ship and what they need to hear, and is happy when they are functioning at their top capacity) -- the major thing is that it's considered both Searle and Pinbacker to be flip sides of a coin, and Pinbacker often scans as xNFJ. So...?
  • Capa - INTP (truth/science = beauty). This is the one I am most sure of.
  • Corazon - INTJ or INFJ, probably? She's got an edge, full of certitude, and can almost be condescending. As a really loop of a choice, I had briefly looked at ESFJ, but I feel like she moves through the environment more like an introvert would (defenses more up, more as her own central locus) rather than engaging everyone as her center.
  • Kaneda - He's got an inner certitude like ENFJ but also scans like a relaxed TP. Just not sure with him either. He's not INTP like Capa.
  • Cassie - ISFP or INFP, I normally go ISFP but she and Capa are like flip sides leading to considering INFP -- they really seem to resonate with each other in their approach to the world and to this mission, but he is more detached and focused on the physics, while she's more the heart and conscience of the crew. (Note particularly the Trey discussion, where she digs in with her own moral value but also accepts that it has to be done, I think she just wanted to go on the record as not agreeing with the decision.
  • Mace - ESTP or ISTP. Very S, he keep grounding the N's -- but while he gets personal with Capa 2-3x in the film (twice ending in blows, once to make Capa take ownership of the results of his decision about the payloads), at the end he also is true to his word and lays it all aside for the mission. In the end, only the mission matters. That ending still haunts me.
  • Trey - he almost isn't a person but a persona: the whiz kid who exists to solve complex problems and then is overwhelmed w/ guilt when he proves human. Who is he actually? I really cannot tell what his type is because we barely see him interacting with the crew. I guess he tells Mace at the beginning that next time he cooks, HE can decide what they are having, and then we see him torn by guilt over the incident with the shields, and then where his arc goes, but he very rarely interacts.
  • Harvey - ISFJ. I originally thought ISTJ, and then once I considered male ISFJ he seemed to lock more into place esp in light of the "fight over the suit" scene, and how that plays, as I think an ISTJ would have crunched the problem and been more accepting of the decision rather than getting really personal about it. "I think my character imagines himself to be brave, but he proves just to be normal and human in the end," says Troy Garity, and yeah, Harvey is the most "normal" and human. His contribution seems to be his sense of the hierarchy on the ship and doing things properly. Also, "Garity described the character of Harvey as the only crew member who misses his family back home on Earth and attempts to hide the fact."

AS far as Pinbacker goes, he seems more expansive and not self-contained. He was the leader of his mission and tends to think more in extraverted terms (my opinion) as far as the locus of his control. Introverts tend to naturally order their internal worlds first, Pinbacker seems to have been outward directed in terms of the influence of his energy. I can imagine him ranting like this on his ship originally and/or convincing the others of his POV, at first being an inspiring leader pulling the team together, but the further his psychosis and fundamentalism spiraled, the more that power of influence became.