• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

House of Cards

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any thoughts on their types? I just finished the first season... loved it. So far, I think:

Francis: ENFJ
Claire: INTJ
Doug Stamper: Not sure... Ne/Si or Si/Ne... ISTJ or INTP?
Zoe: ISTP, could be INTP though
Russo: ESFP, possibly ESTP
Adam Galloway: ISFP, of course :p
Linda: ENTJ...? INTJ? Not sure
Gillian Cole: Seems pretty Fi. xNFP, maybe

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Any thoughts on their types? I just finished the first season... loved it. So far, I think:

No idea on types, but Francis is my spirit animal.

tumblr_mhzojpfwkE1qb0l4io1_500.gif

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I'm thinking dual ENJs on Francis and his wife.

I actually think he might be an ENFJ, and she an ENTJ.

I guess she could be an introvert, but, if she is, it's not pronounced.

R

Riva

[MENTION=6448]StephMC[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION]

Francis is a entj not an enfj. His world view is clearly Te and he has an ends justifies the means attitude to almost everything. He manipulates a lot which is probably why you are guessing enfj but his manipulations are classic bargaining chips sort of manipulations (which are theoretically Te) than emotional trust based manipulations (which are commonly attributed to Fe). He is an entj it hurts. Probably an 8w7 too.

Claire is hard. She screams introvert from a distance but she could be an extroverted 3w4. I'm not familiar with etypes but i'm willing to bet 3w4 sp/so for her. And for her mbti type (don't confuse this with francis's description) to be ntj.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=6448]StephMC[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION]

Francis is a entj not an enfj. His world view is clearly Te and he has an ends justifies the means attitude to almost everything. He manipulates a lot which is probably why you are guessing enfj but his manipulations are classic bargaining chips sort of manipulations (which are theoretically Te) than emotional trust based manipulations (which are commonly attributed to Fe). He is an entj it hurts. Probably an 8w7 too.

Claire is hard. She screams introvert from a distance but she could be an extroverted 3w4. I'm not familiar with etypes but i'm willing to bet 3w4 sp/so for her. And for her mbti type (don't confuse this with francis's description) to be ntj.

I'm not 100% set on ENFJ -- in fact, I really believed him to be ENTJ at first too. But as the series progressed, my view of him started to change. But (referring to the bolded comment), he definitely uses emotional manipulation. Fear and intimidation was a go-to tactic. He totally deals in trust, guilt, embarrassment, and other emotional based currencies. I believe Te bargaining would be more objective, like using money or favors. Granted, Frank did a little of both. But I think the bulk of his manipulation was emotional. It's especially apparent when he interacts with other Te characters, like Marty and Remy. When he tries to use emotion based manipulation. Their responses are often things like, "Frank, cut the shit" -- they only care about Te incentives, such as money.

Also, a lot of his quotes sounded more Fe than Te:

"After all, we are nothing more or less than what we choose to reveal. What I am to Claire is not what I am to Zoe, just as Zoe is not to me what she is to her father."

Granted, that's just one quote, but it sounds more focused on social roles, no? And also, I saw a lot of inferior Ti. I don't know quite how to explain it, but there were little hints of it here and there. Like how he liked to unwind: playing video games or playing chess by himself. I've noticed ExFJ's inferior Ti typically likes those types of games. Strangely enough (and I know this isn't really a strong point), but the only two people I've ever seen play chess by themselves is my ESFJ mother and ENFJ brother.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Zoe is ISTP if only for the fact I think her lines before she says them. Love the show and I think you're spot on. I see Francis as ENTJ tho. Russo is hard to pinpoint because of his addiction.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Shudder

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not 100% set on ENFJ -- in fact, I really believed him to be ENTJ at first too. But as the series progressed, my view of him started to change. But (referring to the bolded comment), he definitely uses emotional manipulation. Fear and intimidation was a go-to tactic. He totally deals in trust, guilt, embarrassment, and other emotional based currencies. I believe Te bargaining would be more objective, like using money or favors. Granted, Frank did a little of both. But I think the bulk of his manipulation was emotional. It's especially apparent when he interacts with other Te characters, like Marty and Remy. When he tries to use emotion based manipulation. Their responses are often things like, "Frank, cut the shit" -- they only care about Te incentives, such as money.

"After all, we are nothing more or less than what we choose to reveal. What I am to Claire is not what I am to Zoe, just as Zoe is not to me what she is to her father."

Granted, that's just one quote, but it sounds more focused on social roles, no? And also, I saw a lot of inferior Ti. I don't know quite how to explain it, but there were little hints of it here and there. Like how he liked to unwind: playing video games or playing chess by himself. I've noticed ExFJ's inferior Ti typically likes those types of games. Strangely enough (and I know this isn't really a strong point), but the only two people I've ever seen play chess by themselves is my ESFJ mother and ENFJ brother.

I honestly see him as more Ti-Fe than Fe-Ti. I definitely can't see him as Te-Fi. Call me crazy, but I think he's an ENTP that just knows how to play the political game. I see him as pretty balanced on P and J, but he seems to lean more P in my eyes. I think he just seems J to most people because he has a job typically held by Js and he knows how to blend in and work the system. He has very, very developed Fe, but Ti seems to be what he runs on instinctively. The way he made connections and saw possibilities in his head in mere seconds seemed to be much more natural to him that his Fe. He just had a lot of little ticks that looked ENTP to me, as well.

Shudder

MBTI Type
INTJ
Netflix's HOUSE OF CARDS

This show is awesome.

They have a thread over on Tv and Entertainment, but it's so dead.

What do you think Frank's type is? I've seen ENTJ, ENFJ, INTJ, and ENTP.

I've gotta go with ENTP. I know most would say J, but he seems pretty balanced to me, with a preference towards P. I think he just seems J to most people because he has a job typically held by Js and he knows how to blend in and work the system. He has very, very developed Fe, but Ti seems to be what he runs on instinctively. The way he made connections and saw possibilities in his head in mere seconds seemed to be much more natural to him that his Fe. Because of this, ENTJ is totally out of the question for me. He also just had a lot of little ticks that looked ENTP to me. Not to mention the way in which he broke the fourth wall felt very Ferris Bueller esque.

Is breaking the fourth wall an ENTP thing? Ferris Bueller, Marvel's Deadpool, the creep from Funny Games, and now possibly Frank would make it appear so.

Also his wife is a total xNTJ. She's a joy to watch lol

napo_leon

I agree with you. Frank is an ENTP and Claire is possibly an INTJ. Could you see her as an INFJ?

Shudder

MBTI Type
INTJ
I agree with you. Frank is an ENTP and Claire is possibly an INTJ. Could you see her as an INFJ?

Glad someone does! Heck, even when disregarding type theory, I see him as ENTP based solely on his snark and his sense of humor. Not sure if it's just the character, or the fact that Spacey seems to be an xNTP in real life.

I could see her as one, for sure. To be honest, I'm not that great with typing female characters when it comes to T/F. The only thing about her I'm totally sure about is xNxJ. I could see her as anything based around that.

napo_leon

I think, based on how she works in her non-profit organization, I can see Te. Maybe that's why she works so well with Frank in his schemes.

napo_leon

What are the types of Netflix's House of Cards characters?
Frank Underwood
Claire Underwood
Zoe Barnes
Peter Russo
Doug Stamper

napo_leon

ENTPs and INTPs play chess on their own. I have palyed chess on my own and I have known two INTPs and an ENTP girl who did that too. Also I strongly believe he is an ENTP.

Ne: Frank is an expert at reading people. He sizes them up, figures out their weak spots, and pushes them as far as they go until they break apart. He is outward facing, finding inspiration in the world around him. He is good at seeing alternatives, changing his schemes directions multiple times. He doesn’t start out with only one plan, but instead adapts along the way as opportunities for action present themselves. Frank is a clever inventor, prepared to brainstorm solutions. He is sociable and gets his energy from his interactions with other people, either positive or negative, as long as he can display his power over them.

Ti: His ability to think outside the box makes him a dangerous opponent, since he has the ability to analyze everyone and everything, as well as quickness to point out other people's weaknesses. Frank analyzes people and situations and forms logical conclusions as to their future behavior, which he then uses to launch his plans. He rationalizes everything inside of his head, whether it be how to deal with a political situation to how to deal with his pawns (like Russo or Zoe).

Fe: Frank is a talented social creature. He knows how to say the right thing in the right way to get the reaction he needs from people. He understands and can read people’s emotions skillfully, which makes him a dangerous conversationalist. Also, adaptation comes easily for Frank, whose stints of “goodness” are a reflection of the social expectations of the people around him. He becomes whatever anyone wants him to be, to accomplish his goals. He’s extremely charming and personable ,and his Fe allows him to connect to others on a warm and friendly level. People are always shocked when he turns on them, because they thought they had found a kindred spirit. However, he has trouble honestly empathizing with people, because he is ruthless and selfish in his actions.

Si: Tradition and the past hold little interest for Frank, who wants to avoid memories of his childhood.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I think ENTP too. XNTJs in politics are more purposeful, they have something they want to accomplish, an idea they want to implement, a vision for the future. They want power to do something, but Frank wants power for its own sake, its a game to him. He's adaptable and makes himself what other people need him to be, so that he can get ahead. He looks like an ENTJ because he's perfected intimidation as a tactic, which is associated with te and se rather than fe and ne. I think his wife is an ENTJ though. Zoe is ISTP, and Russo is ESFP.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I decided not to merge the two House of Cards threads since this one focuses on character typing, and the other on the series in general. If member sentiment favors merging, I can go ahead and do it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They shouldn't be merged for that very reason.

In fact, the typing discussion that suddenly sprang up in that thread should be moved over here.