• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dead Poets Society

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah, it annoyed the hell out of me, too.

I watched it stoned out of my brain (which tended to make me maudlin) and I still found it cloying and predictable, with not a single likeable character. All I gained from the experience was a sudden sharp recollection of my first real hatred: "that red-haired kid" in kindergarten. oooo I hated that fucker. :steam: So I guess it wasn't a total loss.

Sorry, I know this whole "DPS sucks" thing is a derail. But it needs to be said gives me some satisfaction to say it.

atomisedmonk

Pwahaha my Ma and Baba are the same speculated types as Mr. Nolan (ESTJ) and Mr. Perry (ISTJ). My dad's a lot more T than Perry though.

atomisedmonk

I'm an NF teacher and agree that his teaching is horrible -as well as being a massive show off (yawn I'd get sick of that very soon) - he's manipulative, abuses his power and position, puts vulnerable young people at risk and takes a 'one approach fits all' position.

I fucking understand man. We were studying DPS in Year 9 and our English teacher who was exactly like that...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dead Poets' Society is amazing! I watched it in English class. I think the teacher is probably an INTP who was passionate enough about his ideas to overcome the need to keep quiet.

I doubt it... not detached enough. I know only one INTP personally who might come off that way in class. But usually INTPs are flatter / more detached than this.

As far as the teaching goes, the worst parts of the movie for me were watching Robin Williams do a stand-up act during class. It was kind of jarring. The best were the emotional dramas of each student, especially Todd and Neil.

...Everytime I watch it I feel more and more irritated by Mr Keating and his arrogance and crtainty that what he is doing is 'right' for all of the boys he teaches - I think I would have found Mr Keating's class a very scary place.

Arrogance?

Wow. We see the world very differently, I guess.

(I mean, I could say I'm frightened by the tone of your post, it's no less arrogant and driven by feelings of certainty than Keating's classroom... and probably far moreso. )

I don't know what Todd is anymore, except INxP.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I wouldn't have liked that teacher much. I hated the way he way he handled Todd (basically forcing him to get up in front of the class and blurt out something poetic on the spot). I had a few teachers who took it upon themselves to repeatedly push me to disclose my thoughts and "open up", and all it ever did was make me dread their classes. When I saw this movie after finishing high school, I wondered if they were expecting me to dramatically "discover my voice" the way Todd did. :rolli:

I liked the movie overall, mostly because of Todd and Neil. There were some interesting individual dramas there.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wouldn't have liked that teacher much. I hated the way he way he handled Todd (basically forcing him to get up in front of the class and blurt out something poetic on the spot). I had a few teachers who took it upon themselves to repeatedly push me to disclose my thoughts and "open up", and all it ever did was make me dread their classes. When I saw this movie after finishing high school, I wondered if they were expecting me to dramatically "discover my voice" the way Todd did. :rolli:

It can be abused, certainly, by people that don't "get it."

Note that he only made Todd do that. Other people gave lame/non-answers and he didn't waste time on them. He only did this with Todd, the insinuation is, because he knew that Todd had a lot inside of him to say but was just scared and had trouble committing to words, and really needed a push so that he might acquire some confidence to speak. It's rather touchy; if he had misjudged, the whole thing might have backfired.

Good teachers actually DO do this, it's just something you have to be careful with. Every student needs something different in order to find themselves. Same thing with being a parent; I've had to make decisions on occasion to push my kids, if I sensed the reason they were not trying something was out of a fear that they wouldn't overcome any other way. You just have be very careful when and where you do it.

letsplaytwister

I'm really surprised that so many people here didn't like Keating or his teaching methods! I guess it's different strokes and all that, but I thought he was a fantastic teacher. I had a teacher like that (but not as over the top) in high school. (And she actually showed us this movie.) She was the best teacher I ever had, and DID help me find my creative potential. The only negative thing I could say about Keating is that he was a bit naive that his methods would go over well at all with his superiors.

I guess I just took something completely different from the movie. I agree 100% with everything Keating says and does in that movie, and what happened with Neil and the kids was basically the all too common occurrence of the establishment stamping out the will of those who dare go their own way. The movie totally could have been too sugary and feel-good if it wasn't for that necessary dark turn. It shows the good and bad side of free thinking romanticism.

Anyway, I just watched DPS again last night, and I'm glad to find a three page thread on it here! Very interesting things people have to say about the movie itself as well as type. Here's what I was thinking for the types of the characters as I watched it:

Keating: ENFP
Neil: ENFP
Todd: INFP
Charlie: ESTP
Knox: whew, no clue!
Meeks: ENTP
Pitts: ISTJ
Cameron: ESTJ
Nolan: ESTJ
Mr. Perry: ESTJ/ISTJ

TheGodson

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
???
Completely agree with letsplaytwister on Keatings, Neil, and Todd. I Don't remember the names of the other characters, only the faces.

Also to all those Keating haters. Boooooooo to you.

Mr. Keatings was an awesome teacher. "Oh captain, my Captain!"