• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
On a whim (based on the first novel/radio series, less so the movie):

Arthur Dent: ISTJ
Ford Prefect: ESFP
Tricia McMillan/Trillian: INTP
Zaphod Beeblebrox: ESTP
Slartibartfast: ISFP

(Unfortunate) Whale: INFJ
Frankie, Benjy Mouse: INTJ

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I agree with most of those except I always saw Ford Prefect as an ENTP- or at least an ESTP.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Petunia: iNTj xDDD
----
Guess, typing art will be pretty tough. Guess every character depends on flaws in one or two functions, to be able to work in the big picture :)

IXTJ

MBTI Type
IXTJ
I agree with most of those except I always saw Ford Prefect as an ENTP- or at least an ESTP.

Totally agree here. Ford ENTP. Zaphod ESTP.

INFP - Marvin the Paranoid Android.

MerkW

I have always seen Ford as an ISFP and Slartibartfast as an ENTP.
Similarly, I think Marvin is too insensitive to be an INFP. I have always seen him as an unhealthy, kvetching INTP. INFP could work, though.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I personally thought that Marvin seemed kind of INTPish... though that may be because he reminds me a bit of an INTP friend of mine ;)

Ford seems rather ENTPish to me though- the rush in which he thinks and trys to explain things, and the manner in which he confuses people so thouroughly while convincing them to do things seems kind of familiar to me somehow :D

Zaphod HAS to be an ESTP though.

:wubbie: Hitchhiker's Guide.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But I ask you, what do the vogons represent?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Vogon=ISTJ!! Oh yea!!!

Marvin is a depressed INTP robot.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I just wanted to say yay at this thread. And that I love Marvin and his INTPness.:)

IXTJ

MBTI Type
IXTJ
How is Marvin an INTP??? I am not seeing it. Most INFP's seem to have that self-loathing quality. And feels everyone hates him. It's like Marvin is down on life, down on everything. It seems INTP's are unconcerned with this type of thing.

OF course I am more familiar with Keirsey's profiles than the MBTI.... so maybe I see it different.

MerkW

How is Marvin an INTP??? I am not seeing it. Most INFP's seem to have that self-loathing quality. And feels everyone hates him. It's like Marvin is down on life, down on everything. It seems INTP's are unconcerned with this type of thing.
This is has much more to do with neurosis than MBTI type.

OF course I am more familiar with Keirsey's profiles than the MBTI.... so maybe I see it different.
I've had a look at your typology website/blog. Many of your typings are decent and, for the most part, fairly accurate. However, I would strongly recommend not trying to type people (real or fictional) by solely using the MBTI dichotomous preferences (+ Keirsey). Typings are usually far more accurate if done with a combination of Jungian functions and overall MBTI/Jung (but not Keirsey) type descriptions. Or at least, this is my opinion.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7

Most NT's can be atrociously self-doubting and self-loathing.
Keirsey actually says that NT's are the most self-doubting of all temperaments- since they rely more on logic than irrational feelings that they are 'special' inside.
As an ENTP, there have been times in my life when I have been self-loathing and believed that everyone else was truly luckier than I am.

IXTJ

MBTI Type
IXTJ
This is has much more to do with neurosis than MBTI type.

I've had a look at your typology website/blog. Many of your typings are decent and, for the most part, fairly accurate. However, I would strongly recommend not trying to type people (real or fictional) by solely using the MBTI dichotomous preferences (+ Keirsey). Typings are usually far more accurate if done with a combination of Jungian functions and overall MBTI/Jung (but not Keirsey) type descriptions. Or at least, this is my opinion.

Thanks for the input.... I'd love to look at it in a more efficient way if that is a possibility (and with me it always is). But I tend to be (1) too busy and (2) have several ADD-type traits. Where can I get a nice, not too wordy, rundown of the functions?

Alot of my opinions come with personal experience. The 8 letters are essentially the same with each of these psychologist types. They just have different explanations of the different combinations. So I kind of make a practical application of what they do by looking at people I know (fictional or otherwise) and I just get a feel on what types they are. For example, ESTP's seem to (I am very much generalizing here) seem to be the energetic, smooth talkers of the world. INFP's seem to be hurting on the inside. ISTJ's tend to be uptight. ESFJ's are the typical mothers. etc.... I don't know where I was going with this. I think I was saying that I don't even follow what Keisey says as fact (I use his example because I have studied his work moreso than Jung or Myers and Briggs). I base most of what I write and say on his descriptions of the 4 temperaments. I strongly agree with that aspect of his work.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP

He loathes everything but is still incredibly arrogant. He's always saying how he hates that everyone isn't as smart as him and it depresses him that he's unable to ever have an intellectual conversation without having to talk down to people.

This is how I feel ALL of the time. :devil:

But nobody has typed the best character yet. What type is "The Voice of the Book"?

ENTP?

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
But nobody has typed the best character yet. What type is "The Voice of the Book"? ENTP?
Without question. It's Adams, through and through.

To the rest of the the thread: nice crosstalk. I actually deleted Marvin, listing central cast in order of appearance, then forgot to drop his line back in. He's here, now. I would say a very misomaniacal ISTJ; a dark Arthur.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I like this estimation.
It occurred to me that Marvin could be interpreted as the end state Arthur might have met had the "lifestyle" troubles never been overcome. Of course, Adams didn't seem the type to encourage this thinking -- Marvin and Arthur were what they were, part of a sketch and good for light laughs.