• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Frozen's Elsa is INFJ

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^True.

Jasmine and Aurora are INFJ though, for comparison.

HBIC

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^True.

Jasmine and Aurora are INFJ though, for comparison.

Aurora has so little awake screentime it's hard to tell. Haven't watched Aladinn in ten years, but I know her typings are pretty varied on the net. I've seen ENTP and ENFJ.

What do you reckon Elsa is?

yeghor

She's an ENFP... She had to restrain herself to protect her sister and family, which forced her to act like an INFJ... but ENFP is her natural mode... whereas INFJ is the forced mode... I guess...:)

I am not so sure anymore though...She's some kind of NF that's for sure...

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Aurora has so little awake screentime it's hard to tell. Haven't watched Aladinn in ten years, but I know her typings are pretty varied on the net. I've seen ENTP and ENFJ.

What do you reckon Elsa is?

Oh I'm good with INFJ on her - she has that same duty/martyr effect -at least at first. It's nice to see her embrace herself though instead of sacrificing herself in the name of duty forever.

Jasmine is the kind of INFJ focused on a vision, I feel. She has a certain idea of how things should be and uses her Fe to either disrupt social standards and shock people to wake them up, or encourage them to do what she considers is right. She's also the more prickly but true to herself-type, aka a bit heavy on the tertiary Ti (and invested in being considered valuable for more than just a decorative piece of furniture).

Compare her to Esmeralda for ENFJ vs INFJ: visionary vs demagogue. Both have a vision, but Esmeralda is way more hands and relies heavily on her social charm on whereas Jasmine is more strategic and distancing.

As for Aurora, she does get little screen time, but she is the perfect martyr example. She has prophetic dreams/visions about what her destiny is (Once Upon A Dream), yet when she is confronted with her 'duty'/supposed destiny, she falls apart because her plan/destiny has fallen apart, yet accepts her new fate and sets out to fulfil her duty - for the greater good. Add that all to the demure, elegant aura she has and the archetypal play she does with the animals (aka play pretending her prince is there) and you've got yourself an NF - and an INFJ at that.

HBIC

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh I'm good with INFJ on her - she has that same duty/martyr effect -at least at first. It's nice to see her embrace herself though instead of sacrificing herself in the name of duty forever.

Jasmine is the kind of INFJ focused on a vision, I feel. She has a certain idea of how things should be and uses her Fe to either disrupt social standards and shock people to wake them up, or encourage them to do what she considers is right. She's also the more prickly but true to herself-type, aka a bit heavy on the tertiary Ti (and invested in being considered valuable for more than just a decorative piece of furniture).

Compare her to Esmeralda for ENFJ vs INFJ: visionary vs demagogue. Both have a vision, but Esmeralda is way more hands and relies heavily on her social charm on whereas Jasmine is more strategic and distancing.

As for Aurora, she does get little screen time, but she is the perfect martyr example. She has prophetic dreams/visions about what her destiny is (Once Upon A Dream), yet when she is confronted with her 'duty'/supposed destiny, she falls apart because her plan/destiny has fallen apart, yet accepts her new fate and sets out to fulfil her duty - for the greater good. Add that all to the demure, elegant aura she has and the archetypal play she does with the animals (aka play pretending her prince is there) and you've got yourself an NF - and an INFJ at that.

What "vision" does Elsa has? She acepts what her parents say and acts accordingly for as long as she can force herself to, but I haven't seen any indication of what she actually agrees with it. If anything, "Let It Go" points to her having very different ideas about her powers in contrast to what she's been taught.

It seeems like you have a penchant for seeing martyrs in the princesses. I see absolutely no such a thing in Aurora, because she doesn't get a say in anything that happens. She's a victim of the cirunstances (as Elsa) and an incredibly passive character. As for her "aura" and her playing with animals and making believe, that's hardly an argument for type.

Where's Aurora's Ni? And her Fe? I see neither.

I just can't take typing based on archetypals seriously, you gotta go with functions and build from there.

Rampant

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You could have just said, "because I like her and I think I am one too," OP.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What "vision" does Elsa has? She acepts what her parents say and acts accordingly for as long as she can force herself to, but I haven't seen any indication of what she actually agrees with it. If anything, "Let It Go" points to her having very different ideas about her powers in contrast to what she's been taught.

It seeems like you have a penchant for seeing martyrs in the princesses. I see absolutely no such a thing in Aurora, because she doesn't get a say in anything that happens. She's a victim of the cirunstances (as Elsa) and an incredibly passive character. As for her "aura" and her playing with animals and making believe, that's hardly an argument for type.

Where's Aurora's Ni? And her Fe? I see neither.

I just can't take typing based on archetypals seriously, you gotta go with functions and build from there.

Actually, I don't.

I type differently than you, yes. But it doesn't make my reasoning wrong, nor is it reason for dismissal, in my books. But I understand that you'll need more time to verify things for yourself and think it through. You asked me to put in my two cents,and so I did. Hope it at least was of some value to you :)

HBIC

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You could have just said, "because I like her and I think I am one too," OP.

OH MY GOD, BURRN! :rotfl:

Actually, I don't.

That was a figure of speech, not an advice or a "you should do this" thing. You're free to choose your typing method obviously, as effective/ineffective as it might be :headphne:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I still think Elsa is INTJ. I don't see Fe from her. Also Anna is ESFP so this makes the whole Fire/Ice duality work well :D

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, Elsa is INFJ. INFJs always have a kernel of power-hunger beneath all the fe propriety, pointed self sacrifice, and pseudo-aristocratic, too-good-for-this-world retirement.

HBIC

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I still think Elsa is INTJ. I don't see Fe from her. Also Anna is ESFP so this makes the whole Fire/Ice duality work well :D

No leading Ni, so no INTJ. But it would have been very interesting to see an INTJ Disney Queen.

Yes, Elsa is INFJ. INFJs always have a kernel of power-hunger beneath all the fe propriety, pointed self sacrifice, and pseudo-aristocratic, too-good-for-this-world retirement.

Because a type can be contained in a highly stereotypied and negative sentence like this :rolleyes:.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because a type can be contained in a highly stereotypied and negative sentence like this :rolleyes:.

I don't see the sentence as either stereotyped (is it a stereotype that INFJs secretly want power?) or negative (is it a bad thing to be ambitious?). The point is that XXFJs often like to see themselves and their fe as gentle, tolerant, and cooperative, but that describes their methods, not their goals. Fe is still a judging function, so XXFJs still have an idea of how things should be (especially NFJs, since ni lends itself well to strong opinions and ideas), which they want to see actualized in the world. They might prefer to do so through pro-social means, but the desire is still there. It's often repressed along with inferior se though, leading to a withdrawal from the world and the sublimation of what are seen as "base" desires to have a strong effect on it. This effect is compounded when theses desires are socially unacceptable, which triggers the XNFJ's fe and encourages them to internalize these negative judgments (which is particularly easy for introverted INFJs, of course) and direct their considerable will against themselves, where it manifests as strong and ruthless self-control. Hence, the INFJ's withdrawal from the world can be seen as a kind of self-sacrifice, with the INFJ suppressing their agency to protect social harmony, and taking up the role of observer, rather than participant. But this role is actually very unnatural to the INFJ, being a judger and a se-user. It is the INFP who truly wishes to withdraw from the world, not the INFJ. Eventually, the INFJ's inferior se will inevitably come into play, and the INFJ will release all their pent-up judgmental energy on the external world in the blunt, direct, almost involuntary manner which characterizes both se and inferior functions. Since acceptance and integration of the inferior function is a healthy development in Jungian psychology, this release can be seen as the INFJ reaching their full potential.

A

Anew Leaf

I thought it was pretty obvious that Elsa was INFJ, especially seeing the transformation halfway through with the Se-burst of crazy that came out.

Anna sort of rode the line between ESFP and ENFP for me with a slight lean on the ENFP side because her personality was a lot softer than ESFPs can come across as. (At least the ones I know IRL who are very much grounded in reality and telling the world how it IS, etc.)

The differences/conflict between the two when they interacted came across as the white noise static often seen between Fi and Fe types.

(There... is nothing INTJ about Elsa... like, at all.)

Pinker85

I didn't read all the way through. So Elsa can't be an ISFJ because she's just too awesome of a person? All the ISFJs I've known are plenty good at confronting difficult situations and don't respond by breaking down as you suggest. And don't ALL people want to find their place?

Pinker85

And wouldn't going on a long kick about letting go of the past and your occupation with being dutiful imply you think a lot about those things? I'm not saying this is the case, but could it be that Elsa just hits a point of frustration with feeling unable to uphold tradition that she feels forced to be rebellious?

HBIC

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't see the sentence as either stereotyped (is it a stereotype that INFJs secretly want power?) or negative (is it a bad thing to be ambitious?). The point is that XXFJs often like to see themselves and their fe as gentle, tolerant, and cooperative, but that describes their methods, not their goals. Fe is still a judging function, so XXFJs still have an idea of how things should be (especially NFJs, since ni lends itself well to strong opinions and ideas), which they want to see actualized in the world. They might prefer to do so through pro-social means, but the desire is still there. It's often repressed along with inferior se though, leading to a withdrawal from the world and the sublimation of what are seen as "base" desires to have a strong effect on it. This effect is compounded when theses desires are socially unacceptable, which triggers the XNFJ's fe and encourages them to internalize these negative judgments (which is particularly easy for introverted INFJs, of course) and direct their considerable will against themselves, where it manifests as strong and ruthless self-control. Hence, the INFJ's withdrawal from the world can be seen as a kind of self-sacrifice, with the INFJ suppressing their agency to protect social harmony, and taking up the role of observer, rather than participant. But this role is actually very unnatural to the INFJ, being a judger and a se-user. It is the INFP who truly wishes to withdraw from the world, not the INFJ. Eventually, the INFJ's inferior se will inevitably come into play, and the INFJ will release all their pent-up judgmental energy on the external world in the blunt, direct, almost involuntary manner which characterizes both se and inferior functions. Since acceptance and integration of the inferior function is a healthy development in Jungian psychology, this release can be seen as the INFJ reaching their full potential.

Of course wanting power and being ambitions (both characteristics overlap a lot) isn't a bad thing, neither did I imply it.

But "Kernel of power hunger", "pseudo-aristocratic" and "too-good-for-this-world retirement" aren't neutral choice of words at all.

I agree with your assessments about both types, I think people mistake a lot of natural INFP's traits for INFJ ones.

I do not see what you described in Elsa because her withdrawal from the world isn't voluntary at all. She has a choice made for her at the beginning and when she goes away later on, the sentiments expressed in "Let It go" lyrics are not indicative of Se, but of Fi. She finally expresses what she thinks of her powers and how she feels about having to suppress them.

LittleV

Just a note...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3

As I've mentioned, with the crises Elsa was facing (and this being a cartoon movie), it was not particularly clear-cut what her natural personality was - albeit, an 'explosion' was nearly inevitable in the psychological sense. I will say that... INFJ's can be very (subtly) in-charge and responsible as kids, bossy even... as their Fe would begin to develop, but not quite - they may trust their own ideas when finding that they could be more correct than their parents at times.

Nonetheless, one should not look at a single event and discount the circumstances. Her Fe was expressed as she was forced to grow up; she was aided in the choice to protect her sister and those around her... but Fe cannot thrive without emotional regulation and understanding - in which her dilemma didn't allow for. Suppressing emotions meant that she had to learn how to use Fe without her actual emotions to guide her - her outside assessments were limited and her internal assessments were incomplete. There being "beauty in [her] magic but also great danger" was also indicative of Ni-Se, symbolically (making such a creative ice castle when she'd never attempted that before was risk-taking and dangerous - if something went wrong, her safety would be compromised - but she'd trusted her Ni and Se at that very 'explosive' moment without equivocation); magic was a part of her, just like our abilities would influence our personalities. Everything counts to varying degrees; even her running away illustrated that she was trying to contently accept a lifestyle that she would not choose on her own in trying to protect those she loved.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do not see what you described in Elsa because her withdrawal from the world isn't voluntary at all. She has a choice made for her at the beginning and when she goes away later on, the sentiments expressed in "Let It go" lyrics are not indicative of Se, but of Fi. She finally expresses what she thinks of her powers and how she feels about having to suppress them.

Elsa makes the choice to leave in the face of social disapproval. Nobody forces her to do it. A te user would have pointed out that the disapproval of her subjects didn't really matter on account of her being queen and them not, and proceeded to rule well enough that they'd forget about it. A ti user would have argued that the ice powers would not hinder her ability to rule, and might actually help, if she used them to defend the kingdom. A fi user might have left, but would never have become ashamed of the powers before hand (self acceptance even if they're different is kind of their thing, you know?). So we see that, in her internalizing other people's negative emotional judgments, and making choices that show an inability to cope with social disapproval, Elsa displays fe. As for the idea that she's fi because she "expresses what she thinks of her powers and how she feels about having to suppress them": fe users have feelings too, and are more want to express them than fi users. A fi user would have expressed them much earlier, but Elsa waits for external emotional stimulus I.E. the reveal and the disapproval that followed. She feels her emotions in tandem with others, not by herself (contrast that with Anna, who gets her big "this is how I feel" songs in the first few minutes of the movie, with no-one else providing emotional stimulus. It's all in her head.)

LittleV

Just a note...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Elsa makes the choice to leave in the face of social disapproval. Nobody forces her to do it. A te user would have pointed out that the disapproval of her subjects didn't really matter on account of her being queen and them not, and proceeded to rule well enough that they'd forget about it. A ti user would have argued that the ice powers would not hinder her ability to rule, and might actually help, if she used them to defend the kingdom. A fi user might have left, but would never have become ashamed of the powers before hand (self acceptance even if they're different is kind of their thing, you know?). So we see that, in her internalizing other people's negative emotional judgments, and making choices that show an inability to cope with social disapproval, Elsa displays fe. As for the idea that she's fi because she "expresses what she thinks of her powers and how she feels about having to suppress them": fe users have feelings too, and are more want to express them than fi users. A fi user would have expressed them much earlier, but Elsa waits for external emotional stimulus I.E. the reveal and the disapproval that followed. She feels her emotions in tandem with others, not by herself (contrast that with Anna, who gets her big "this is how I feel" songs in the first few minutes of the movie, with no-one else providing emotional stimulus. It's all in her head.)

I'd agree with this.

Additionally - with most things - people would tend to see characteristics in which they would understand most and embody themselves. Many Fi-users may see Elsa's critical moment as something she was solely doing for herself - whereas I (and Fe-users) may see it as Elsa trying to make the best of a difficult situation, with the primary goal of making sure that others were safe. Elsa to Anna in the ice castle (Fe): "I'm just trying to protect you." Elsa sang, "The past is in the past!" as she threw her crown (Se)... even though Ni would continue to synthesize past events.