• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Frozen's Elsa is INFJ

ilive2sing22

MBTI Type
ENxP
Enneagram
I love this. However, I think she may lean toward extroverted, but forced herself into introversion for so long that she doesn't show it as much. There are a few scenes in the movie that show Elsa being alone for long periods of time and she doesn't do well by herself, in fact gets more anxious and stressed, which makes me wonder if she is more extroverted than people think. I haven't seem anyone question her introversion ever though....so I think I'm probably way off here :p

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I love this. However, I think she may lean toward extroverted, but forced herself into introversion for so long that she doesn't show it as much. There are a few scenes in the movie that show Elsa being alone for long periods of time and she doesn't do well by herself, in fact gets more anxious and stressed, which makes me wonder if she is more extroverted than people think. I haven't seem anyone question her introversion ever though....so I think I'm probably way off here :p

I know what you're saying, but...I think she just became MORE withdrawn than she naturally was. Introverts can be fun and friendly too, you know? I personally think she was always a natural introvert.

How does she solve her problems? By building a giant castle of ice in the mountains away from civilization. No one will accept her for who she is, so she's just gonna leave 'em all behind. And like any good little introvert living in their own world, she fails to notice that the entire kingdom has frozen over because of her. :) I think the extraverted sister reaching out to her, and getting her to consider the effect her ice-olation has on other people, serves as a good example of how an introvert can benefit from an extraverted perspective. Sometimes you have to look outside your little mind palace, beautiful though it may be.

But also, the introverted sister helps out her extraverted sister, by putting the brakes on her engagement to Prince Douchebag. "You can't marry someone you just met!" That's where her introverted emphasis on deeper, more cautious approaches to forging relationships benefits her sister, who is easily taken in by external excitement.

Edit: And notice the thing that brings the girls together is Olaf--he's like a bridge Ilsa builds between her and the outside world (he's frozen, but he is also alive and like shugs). In the same way, a lot of introverts use their creative powers to make works of art that bridge the gap between themselves and the rest of society. It's how a lot of introverts make themselves understood (not that extraverts aren't artistic, but you know). :) Olaf is an example of Ilsa using her Ni-Fe, while her ice palace represents her Ni-Ti axis.

yeghor

She's an ENFP... She had to restrain herself to protect her sister and family, which forced her to act like an INFJ... but ENFP is her natural mode... whereas INFJ is the forced mode... I guess...:)

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
She's an ENFP... She had to restrain herself to protect her sister and family, which forced her to act like an INFJ... but ENFP is her natural mode... whereas INFJ is the forced mode... I guess...:)

Aw, but that ruins my theory :(

yeghor

Actually our "usual" type is the one which we can function with more ease in the society I guess...

I can function as INFJ with the "least" amount of stress\friction in the society... I have an inner ENFP side but it's weak, underdeveloped (atm) in nature... I do not have the physiological constitution to keep it functioning in society... it wouldn't\couldn't withstand society's tests and pressures...

The thing is Elsa has both INFJ and ENFP traits...but which side is stronger...

We see that when she's outside of society's reach, she becomes much more expressive and energetic like an ENFP... but would she be able to feel more comfortable functioning as an ENFP or INFJ when she returns to the society and it's pressures and her fears associated with them...

I need to find ways to use my ENFP side more assertively by the way.. it's too timid... but I am nowhere as expressive and flamboyant as Elsa becomes even when I am away from people or just by myself... the INFJ side is still stronger, more adept even at those times...

That's why I believe Elsa would be able to function as an ENFP in the society meaning that she's predominantly an ENFP...

fghw

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Actually our "usual" type is the one which we can function with more ease in the society I guess...

I can function as INFJ with the "least" amount of stress\friction in the society... I have an inner ENFP side but it's weak, underdeveloped (atm) in nature... I do not have the physiological constitution to keep it functioning in society... it wouldn't\couldn't withstand society's tests and pressures...

The thing is Elsa has both INFJ and ENFP traits...but which side is stronger...

We see that when she's outside of society's reach, she becomes much more expressive and energetic like an ENFP... but would she be able to feel more comfortable functioning as an ENFP or INFJ when she returns to the society and it's pressures and her fears associated with them...

I need to find ways to use my ENFP side more assertively by the way.. it's too timid... but I am nowhere as expressive and flamboyant as Elsa becomes even when I am away from people or just by myself... the INFJ side is still stronger, more adept even at those times...

That's why I believe Elsa would be able to function as an ENFP in the society meaning that she's predominantly an ENFP...

Keep in mind that Elsa was a pressure cooker of emotion, effectively suppressing her Fe for years. An explosion was inevitable. I wouldn't attribute that to ENFP, which I think, due to their extroverted nature, would appear more expressive within society. I think that'd be more suited to Anna.

yeghor

Keep in mind that Elsa was a pressure cooker of emotion, effectively suppressing her Fe for years. An explosion was inevitable. I wouldn't attribute that to ENFP, which I think, due to their extroverted nature, would appear more expressive within society. I think that'd be more suited to Anna.

Her keeping her (emotionally expressive) ENFP-self repressed inside is due to the INFJ mantle (and the Fe-aux associated with it) that she donned due to past trauma...

From 0:43-0:57 in the clip, that's her Fe-aux talking...(giving more priority to other people's preferences [i.e. family])...Afterwards she's switching to Fi-aux...i.e. her ENFP self...

yeghor

I think being an ENFP necessitates a strong and admirable body...in D&D terms, a high STR, CON, WIS and CHA score...A paladin perhaps?

Last edited:

yeghor

Such as this:

Appearently, she doesn't need protection around the bosom area...:D

F

figsfiggyfigs

Exactly. I thought the movie was a masterpiece in the first half - before focus was shifted over to Anna and her (almost cliche) quest. OMG how can it be fair for her to have TWO love interests and Elsa to not have even ONE when she would have benefitted so much from it.

UGH I just feel as though Elsa was shafted pretty badly in that movie even though she was the most compelling of the lot (and arguably amongst all Disney princesses) and I think an INFJ female would make an excellent and multifaceted protagonist.

Okay rant over.

I'm glad they did not give her a love interest. The main relationship was between her and her sister. She overcame her problems with the help of her sister, the initial root cause of those problems. I'm glad she didn't need some bullshit love interest that magically made her see everything differently.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Back to the OP, the fact she runs away from stress and builds her own ice palace, withdrawing into her own world to be true to who she really is, and shuts people away from her under stress, it sounds like the classic case of INFJ doorslam. It is practically like a wall of ice, and then everyone around them feels the effects.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Elsa is definitely INFJ. She's not EP at all.

Anna - ESFJ? That's the impression I got from her. :D What a cutie.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=20204]aalknj[/MENTION], I think you're totally spot on with Elsa being INFJ. Really nice points about her being slightly rebellious, channeling her talent creatively, stressing over hiding her true self, expecting a lot from herself, being complex, being very future-oriented, and struggling with shutting others out.

Regarding ISFJs, I understand your overall comparison, but I think deep, wise, and mature are fairly unrelated to Ni/Si. I also do think that ISFJs can be strong and complex. Cinderella, after all, was an orphaned servant-turned-princess-by-marriage in a 1950 film; Elsa is a firstborn hereditary queen regnant (and was originally intended to be a villain!) in a 2013 film - I think that probably affects their relative character development more than N vs. S.

YWIR said:
I'm glad they did not give her a love interest. The main relationship was between her and her sister. She overcame her problems with the help of her sister, the initial root cause of those problems. I'm glad she didn't need some bullshit love interest that magically made her see everything differently.

Me too. I really appreciate that this film forewent a love interest for Elsa and forewent having a main source of "evil". It's so much more realistic and complex to watch a scenario play out without such black-and-white good versus evil and without marriage as everyone's happily ever after.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

They should've made them lesbians in love with each other, because it almost seemed that way. I wouldn't have found the movie so overrated if they went in this direction full throttle. My attitude toward this, however, could be influenced by the fact I saw The LEGO Movie before this...and that was the most awesome (*wink wink*) movie ever. (...) Um...nah, Frozen just wasn't that great (but perhaps good), except for the legal disclaimer in the credits.

On the topic of Elsa, yes, I can agree on INFJ before ISTJ. ISFJ doesn't really match up with her either.

What type is Anna? ExFP?

F

figsfiggyfigs

They should've made them lesbians in love with each other, because it almost seemed that way. I wouldn't have found the movie so overrated if they went in this direction full throttle. My attitude toward this, however, could be influenced by the fact I saw The LEGO Movie before this...and that was the most awesome (*wink wink*) movie ever. (...) Um...nah, Frozen just wasn't that great (but perhaps good), except for the legal disclaimer in the credits.

On the topic of Elsa, yes, I can agree on INFJ before ISTJ. ISFJ doesn't really match up with her either.

What type is Anna? ExFP?

Are you an only child, sweet Uber?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Because people love to type every freaking movie/tv character infj, that's why.