• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jay Gatsby from The Great Gastby

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What type was he?

ENFP 7w6?

Agree or disagree?

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd like to see INFP 8 disproved. It was a vibe.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
INFJ 3w4 has occurred to me. A grand vision he lives for and cannot let go of, a fabricated image of success that he cultivates his whole life long through strict discipline and hard work, and manipulating people to get what he has. And even though his image is pieced together of half-truth, veneer, and immorality, his heart is still tragically well-meaning, and his story paradoxically egotistical and selfless, at the core.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'd like to see INFP 8 disproved. It was a vibe.

The man was clearly an extravert. He also was the guy that knew everyone and networked with everyone: this was not an INFP. Gatsby was a 3w2 sx/so. Also, I also saw him as an Fe user, not an Fi user. I think he was either an ENTP or an ENFJ (probably ENFJ). The man had the core charm and charisma of a 3 as well. Also, at the very end it was revealed that his main reason for being as successful as he was, was all in order to attract Daisy. This fits the sexual 3 description to a T. Here is the description of a sexual 3:

Sexual/Social

The focus of this subtype is less on material gain. The basic fear for this type is loss of intimate love. The sex/soc subtype, like the sex/self-pres, lacks trust in their intimates. Because they feel unworthy of true love, they don’t believe that anyone can love them solely for themselves. Therefore, they continuously strive to hold onto their intimates’ admiration, deluding themselves that if they are admired, they may become worthy of love. They do this through vigorous maintenance of their appearance, achievements, etc. Aging is often especially difficult for this subtype.

This insecurity leads to an incessant need for reassurance from intimates, in the form of words of affirmation or time spent together (to the exclusion of others). This insatiable need often leads to intense jealousy, which only serves to distance others from them, thus erroneously affirming the Three's basic fear that they are unworthy of true love. While they share a lot with the sex/self-pres Three, the secondary social instinct adds an element of competition when it comes to questions of desirability. This subtype likes to be seen as the alpha male or alpha female.

When the sex/soc is healthier, they realize this competition is self-defeating. They can take comfort in the thought that another person’s success and attention do not take away their worth in any way.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INFJ 3w4 has occurred to me. A grand vision he lives for and cannot let go of, a fabricated image of success that he cultivates his whole life long through strict discipline and hard work, and manipulating people to get what he has. And even though his image is pieced together of half-truth, veneer, and immorality, his heart is still tragically well-meaning, and his story paradoxically egotistical and selfless, at the core.

Beautiful words

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The man was clearly an extravert. He also was the guy that knew everyone and networked with everyone: this was not an INFP. Gatsby was a 3w2 sx/so. Also, I also saw him as an Fe user, not an Fi user. I think he was either an ENTP or an ENFJ (probably ENFJ). The man had the core charm and charisma of a 3 as well. Also, at the very end it was revealed that his main reason for being as successful as he was, was all in order to attract Daisy. This fits the sexual 3 description to a T. Here is the description of a sexual 3:

Very good case.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Nice points. I agree absolutely with you about sexual 3, sx/so. Why w2, over w4? I figured his internal darkness and melancholy was indicative of w4.

I definitely see him as a Fe user, too, but I'm not sure about his extraversion. He seemed to keep mostly to himself except when he was negotiating business or interacting for the sake of attracting Daisy.

S

Stansmith

Didn't Gatsby usually keep to himself at most of the parties he held?

B

brainheart

He 's as 3w4 as they come. ENTX. I don't think a ENFX would take such a backass way of showing/proving their love. It seems like the tertiary function is kind of the romantic function in people so maybe that's a case for ENTP.

W

WhoCares

Well I'll be honest and say Jay Gatsby is my alter-ego. That is exacty what I woukd do with my life if I could stomach the underbelly enough to make it happen. But my w6 would prevent me from building a facade on a life of criminal activity, no matter how benign. The other aspects, idealisation of perfect love, building a life upon the ideal, working everyday to bring the dream to reality, being constant to that ideal and ultimately having his ideal shattered by the frailty of the object of his affection. That is all the stuff of my internal workings. Being offed by the randomness of circumstance, seems a fitting and ultimately less painful end for him than having to square with the fact the love of his life will not betray her husband for him. She could never give him the one thing he idealised her for, the constancy of her affection. What a tragedy that was and he would never be able to forgive her for it.

He was a charming and popular facade but ultimately a loner who cared not for sosciety beyond what it could give him in terms of his dream. The tenacity to purpose and ideal here coupled with the seperation from society is very 5-ish. He didn't party nor enjoy the gatherings he used to create an image. He cared not for his own popularity beyond the facade and was bothered by the intrusions on his time when they weren't of his own accord.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This. :yes:

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks, guys!

I'm now leaning INFJ 3w4, too.

B

brainheart

Maybe I should re-read it. It's been many, many years. I think I have a tendency to conflate e3w4 with EXTX.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Maybe I should re-read it. It's been many, many years. I think I have a tendency to conflate e3w4 with EXTX.

FWIW, I think he has a fairly ExTx facade.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Nice points. I agree absolutely with you about sexual 3, sx/so. Why w2, over w4? I figured his internal darkness and melancholy was indicative of w4.

I definitely see him as a Fe user, too, but I'm not sure about his extraversion. He seemed to keep mostly to himself except when he was negotiating business or interacting for the sake of attracting Daisy.

He really could have been a 3w2 or a 3w4, I'm not really sure. However, I thought 3w2 because of his charm. The 2 wing brings a lot more charm to the core 3. Also, I've tended to notice that Fe users that are 3's tend to be wing 2 and Fi users that are 3's tend to be wing 4. Just an observation though, I could be wrong.

Also, I thought that he kept to himself at parties and didn't interact with a lot of people because he was an Sx dom and sx dom's tend to connect the best one-on-one. Although I guess I could always have been an introvert. If he was an introvert, then he was probably an INFJ. They often times can look really extroverted on the outside for some reason.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
He really could have been a 3w2 or a 3w4, I'm not really sure. However, I thought 3w2 because of his charm. The 2 wing brings a lot more charm to the core 3. Also, I've tended to notice that Fe users that are 3's tend to be wing 2 and Fi users that are 3's tend to be wing 4. Just an observation though, I could be wrong.

Also, I thought that he kept to himself at parties and didn't interact with a lot of people because he was an Sx dom and sx dom's tend to connect the best one-on-one. Although I guess I could always have been an introvert. If he was an introvert, then he was probably an INFJ. They often times can look really extroverted on the outside for some reason.

I single interesting people out of a group, too. I am So/Sp.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I single interesting people out of a group, too. I am So/Sp.

Are you really going to try to argue with me that this guy is not an sx dom? If so I will shut you down in this argument so fast it will make your head spin.