• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hobbit (Desolation Of Smaug)

R

Riva

I watched it and liked it. However they shouldn't be making a third and should have ended it with the second by taking some parts off and adding the parts they are planning to add to the third.

JLM

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Bilbo - ESFJ
Gandalf - INTJ
Thorin - ISTJ
Balin - ESFP
Beorn - ISFJ
Legolas - ISTP
Tauriel - INFP
Bard - ISFP
Radagast - ISFP
Thranduil - ESFP
Smaug - ENTP
Sauron - ENTJ

Emperor Enigma

Wandering...
Enneagram
3w4
Bilbo - ESFJ
Gandalf - INTJ
Thorin - ISTJ
Balin - ESFP
Beorn - ISFJ
Legolas - ISTP
Tauriel - INFP
Bard - ISFP
Radagast - ISFP
Thranduil - ESFP
Smaug - ENTP
Sauron - ENTJ

I think Legolas is an ISFP undergoing a phase where he is coming to terms with his inferior Te. That can explain his blunt and domineering presence in the movie.

Smaug is more of an INTP. He's content with living in absolute isolation (with a shitload of gold, though) for myriads of years. Or maybe he's a solipsistic egocentric ENTP misanthrope.

Debaser

MBTI Type
xNTJ
Gandalf is totally an INTP.

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to."

That sounds EXACTLY like the kind of smartass thing I would say to justify/rationalize being late. And the fact that he's late at all suggests Pness. I have never met an INTJ who shows up late. Then there's the fact that Gandalf just kind of has the dwarves take over Bilbo's house without asking or showing any sort of respect for his time or his private property, and he basically laughs about it and tells Bilbo to chill out. He also never really has a concrete, detailed plan and excels at dealing with things on the fly. He generally carries a pretty laid-back, chill, reflective, trollish attiude, smoking and lighting off fireworks.

The only times he gets pissed are when people are behaving stupidly/irrationally. And he often retreats to himself, showing introversion:

"I'm going to seek the company of the only one around here who has any sense - myself!"

And then there's this...

“So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

...Which sounds way more P than J. As does this:

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Oh, and the clincher is this quote, which is literally the most INTP thing ever said:

"What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"

I'm not sure where this "Gandalf is an INTJ" nonsense came from, other than that it seems to be rooted entirely in the ridiculous idea that INTPs cannot be good leaders. This guy was an INTP, and he is widely considered to be the greatest leader in US History and one of the greatest leaders in world history. The point being that Ps can be just as if not more effective leaders than Js. What this idea does NOT seem to be rooted in, however, is anything Gandalf actually said or did indicating he was an INTJ, probably because there is nothing. I'll tell you what wizard in LOTR was an INTJ: Saruman. And their differences are obvious in the way they interacted in the first Hobbit movie, with a skeptical Saruman dismissing Gandalf's theories because he didn't feel the evidence was strong enough to consider Sauron's return to be a legitimate possibility, while Gandalf didn't even bother to listen to Saruman's lecture. And the differences are all the more striking in the LOTR trilogy. They are not the same type.

Last edited:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
The 48fps the version I watched moved too quickly for me to follow the characterisation of the characters.

Fortunately a friend who watched it in 28 fps said I didn't miss too much.

Debaser

MBTI Type
xNTJ
The 48fps the version I watched moved too quickly for me to follow the characterisation of the characters.

Yeah, I'm not sure I like this 48fps trend, if it does becomes a real trend. When I bought my flatscreen TV about a year or so ago, it came so that it was set to "smooth-motion" or something 48fps mode by default, and I thought there was something wrong with it. I remember watching 24 and feeling like I was watching a soap opera. It just looked too real, if you know what I mean. But not in a good way. Like it was shot on video. Fortunately I figured it out and found the option to disable it. It has never been turned back on. I just really hope they don't start releasing all movies like this. It's a worse gimmick than 3D.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Yeah, I'm not sure I like this 48fps trend, if it does becomes a real trend. When I bought my flatscreen TV about a year or so ago, it came so that it was set to "smooth-motion" or something 48fps mode by default, and I thought there was something wrong with it. I remember watching 24 and feeling like I was watching a soap opera. It just looked too real, if you know what I mean. But not in a good way. Like it was shot on video. Fortunately I figured it out and found the option to disable it. It has never been turned back on. I just really hope they don't start releasing all movies like this. It's a worse gimmick than 3D.

I agree.

At first I thought maybe I would get used to it and all the negative feedback was perhaps from people too attached to how 28 fps flows, then I was unlucky enough to get that version at the IMAX cinema at the think tank in Birmingham, which a friend of ours had booked for us nicely.

But it is just as you say; it felt too real. It was very similar to watching a video on my camera.