• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mark Twain

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
My guess: ESFP

Last edited by a moderator:

nemo

Enneagram
<3
I think ENTP, given his skepticism, interest in sciences (he was friends with Tesla and an amateur inventor), and -- I know this is biased, shaddup -- his writing style.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Yeah on the N...I can't imagine a dominant Extraverted Sensing type in the 1800's writing A Connecticutt Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

I think of Paul Newmann in Cool Hand Luke as the archetypal ESFP. The way Twain packed the theaters for his standup routines again points to EN to me.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mark Twain, ENTP?

So I was reading the type descriptions on typelogic.com, which is one of my favorite sites, but their guesses as to which famous people of the past were which types seem woefully inaccurate.

For instance, they list Mark Twain as an ENFP. Mark Twain, the biggest smart ass of his generation. Mark Twain, who preferred biting deadpan satire and reveled in shredding his opponents through clever twists in logic. Mark Twain, who filled a friend's bed with wasps as a practical joke!

???

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Mark Twain is teh ENTP I tells ya!

Indisputable proof of this notion can be found here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/popular-culture-type/13112-dn-s-author-type-list-ii.html for all your author typing needs! ;)

What's with the big avoidance of typing authors (and scientists) as ENFP? Your list has a tiny ENFP section with L. Ron Hubbard in it!

I tried to type Twain a while ago. I wasn't sure though. His writing flow has a lot of NFP to it. But some things in his approach didn't quite feel ENFP.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Mark Twain might be an ENTP, but Dickens is the Fi ENFP man, all of his books are loaded with value type undertones. Either way, I have a hard time believing an ENP is able to finish anything they start to save their lives. Especially a project as long as a book.

Anyway, we will let them slide as they seem to fit the stereotype.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What's with the big avoidance of typing authors (and scientists) as ENFP? Your list has a tiny ENFP section with L. Ron Hubbard in it!

I tried to type Twain a while ago. I wasn't sure though. His writing flow has a lot of NFP to it. But some things in his approach didn't quite feel ENFP.

Writing fiction and science are not the ENFPs strongest points. You'd find a hell of a lot of INTPs pursue a philosophy or science career, and not so many take up acting or singing for example. Types all have stronger biases and weaker biases.

Also, you have some of the best writers in your category; Charlotte Bronte, Pushkin and Ralph Waldo Emerson. You're not exactly short-changed (unlike the ESTJs).

Dickens is ENTP.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mark Twain might be an ENTP, but Dickens is the Fi ENFP man, all of his books are loaded with value type undertones. Either way, I have a hard time believing an ENP is able to finish anything they start to save their lives. Especially a project as long as a book.

Anyway, we will let them slide as they seem to fit the stereotype.

Could Dickens perhaps be INFP then?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Writing fiction and science are not the ENFPs strongest points. You'd find a hell of a lot of INTPs pursue a philosophy or science career, and not so many take up acting or singing for example. Types all have stronger biases and weaker biases.

Also, you have some of the best writers in your category; Charlotte Bronte, Pushkin and Ralph Waldo Emerson. You're not exactly short-changed (unlike the ESTJs).

Dickens is ENTP.

Hahaha ESTJs are too busy writing bureaucracy manuals.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
nonsense, mark twain is an istp. and for that matter, so is abraham lincoln, mother teresa, and evil kenievel.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Writing fiction and science are not the ENFPs strongest points.

It's news to me that ENFPs are weak in these areas. How did you decide that? You'll find both of them on the suggested jobs list for ENFP.

Most ENFPs on here have writing in their first few interests. Most ENFPs are also very adept at science. And from memory, I saw somewhere that ENFPs were most common in the top intelligence bracket (being one of the more common N types). So why would creative abstract systems thinkers who are interested in writing and science, and in the top intelligence bracket, not be on the lists? I always figured it was the list makers not knowing their types, and thinking writing = 'I', science = 'NT'.

Lots of people still confuse us with ESFPs and think we are primarily performers.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Lol, I love this crap.

Dickens is ENTP because you say dynamite? Read more about who he is and read his books and what they talk about. They are too feely gushy with the values and morals and whats right and wrong. Also, he was a huge advocate of the underdogs because of who he was.

Sounds very Fi to me.

@ simulated, he could have been anything with a developed Fi ==> INFP, ENFP, INTJ, etc . . . The question here is, why am I not assuming he's a sensor, is it just intuitor bias?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Sorry people but Twain's an ENFP. His mottos are the epitome of ENFPness.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I don't know if he was ENTP, but he didn't have to get drunk in order socialize, so he certainly wasn't INTP.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Sorry people but Twain's an ENFP. His mottos are the epitome of ENFPness.

I didn't know ENFPs would stuff a load af bees in a friends bed for a joke...seems more an ENTP thing...