• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Live Free: Die Hard

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I was watching Die Hard 4 tonight with a particular individual when he turns to me and says, "That's you."

"Who's me?"

"John McLean," he says.

I'm hurt, in a non-obvious way.

I have way more hair than John McLean!

Apparently, it has something to do with the way stuff blows up all around him and he just keeps on plowing right through and thinking on his feet and not loosing his cool, but I never thought of anyone seeing ME in a bald action character. I mean surely I would rather be compared with some beautiful actress, but no, I get compared to Bruce Willis!

So I said, "I thought I was more like Daniel Jackson from Stargate or Gandalf from Lord of the Rings or even Frodo, but John McLean?" Then I laughed, cause I thought that was just nuts.

"A cross between Jackson and McLean," he said.

So I said, "Hmmmm...."

Now, that's a scary combination and I'm a female so it's downright...berserk.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wish I was more like John McLean.

I get all, "omg, things are blowing up all around me, this is pandemonium and I'll be hiding in my bomb shelter until everyone and everything calms the F### down!!!" Then a couple hours later I'm all, "So wait, that was just a pencil falling off the edge of my desk?"

Though I might be a touch Jackson, because I'm just as likely to say, "So wait, that was a m#therf##king pencil falling off the edge of my desk?"

John McLean has some admirable qualities, I guess, is my point here.

eta: And [MENTION=16382]Ene[/MENTION], if this is actually something that really is bothering you- fwiw you definitely come across as feminine to me in your posts. :)

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Thank you [MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION] I do stay very calm in a crisis, eerily so, in fact. It's actually been a point of playful teasing amongst my family my entire life. And in a moment of crisis, although I'm normally "sweet", I suddenly switch gears and become this little sergeant of a person who starts barking out two word sentences.

For example, when I was ten and my sister was 8, my ENFJ sister was freaking out because we had spent the night with our aunt and on the way back home, the vehicle caught on fire. We were whisked out of the car and made to stand at a distance. My sister began to wail because her dress was in the car and it was special to her. So, I took note of how big the flames were, where they were located and then took note that the back door was standing open. "Don't cry," I said then made a dash for the car. My aunt and uncle and sister were all three screaming and yelling and totally freaking out but I was fast, jumped into that backseat, and retrieved the dress. I have pulled stunts like that my entire life, only in a crisis and only for the benefit of helping someone. Strange, I think.

I guess I'm more concerned about type characteristics than being feminine. I like to make jokes when someone compares me to a guy like saying that I have no beard or more hair or something like that. The thing is that all results indicate that I am Ni dominant but in a crisis it's like that suddenly switches off and I turn into another person, a calm-cool headed person. I would say that it's due to martial arts training but I was like that before I started training. I can't help but wonder if that is true of other people. Do we make that much of a switch in function usage when under stress or under pressure? Is this what people talk about when referring to shadow functions? Or maybe inferior functions? The ones that only come to the forefront in a crunch?

wolfy

awsm
John McClane

I wouldn't worry about the comment. People say crazy s@#t.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess I'm more concerned about type characteristics than being feminine. I like to make jokes when someone compares me to a guy like saying that I have no beard or more hair or something like that. The thing is that all results indicate that I am Ni dominant but in a crisis it's like that suddenly switches off and I turn into another person, a calm-cool headed person. I would say that it's due to martial arts training but I was like that before I started training. I can't help but wonder if that is true of other people. Do we make that much of a switch in function usage when under stress or under pressure? Is this what people talk about when referring to shadow functions? Or maybe inferior functions? The ones that only come to the forefront in a crunch?

This did occur to me when I'd read the op (ie "doesn't she identify as INFJ?"). It does seem just a bit unusual to me- the condition of being INFJ seems antithetical to the condition of being John McLean.

While I was exaggerating, kinda, I really do suck at improvising around surprises and being able to act immediately. I actually stay very calm on the surface though. In fact, the more chaotic the external world feels to me the more stoic I probably am on the surface- trying to get a toehold and figure out wth is going on around me. My ability to mercurially adapt sucks and it does seem like an achille's heel my irl INFJ friends have too.

And beyond that (ability to react immediately), McLean is super lighthearted. He's like the prototypical ExTP and nothing breaks his spirit. While I'm pretty good at figuring out how to encourage others- I admittedly don't have enough of this 'nothing breaks my spirit' as I'd like to have for myself. I take things too seriously, by default, and have to actively work on being lighthearted (and again- likewise with irl INFJ friends).

So yeah, I suspect it's not a usual comparison for a Ni dom (lol). But it doesn't sound like shadow function to me- 'shadow' usually infers some kind of wrong or misapplied thinking. If you're actually doing something helpful with these immediate reactions- actually making messes better instead of making them worse- then it probably isn't indicative of anything shadow. You're just the one lucky INFJ who can react quickly! Ha-ha.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
When I watched Die Hard 4 with a friend he just said:

"See that bin with the bullets in it at the back of the scene?"

"yeah..."

"That's you"

"Oh..."

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
You guys are probably right. People say all kinds of things!

I think that what it really boils down to is that I'm sort of unflappable and to many people in my surroundings it looks the same as the STP thing, but it's NOT.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=15886]superunknown[/MENTION]you are absolutely WAY cool and if I discovered tomorrow that I really was an ISTP, I'd be just fine with it. ;)