• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP Bryan Caplan and ISTJ Amy Chua on parenting

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This article is a couple of years old, but I'm still going to post it here because it presents such a perfect contrast in terms of MBTI.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...jun/11/conversation-strict-parenting-amy-chua

Bryan Caplan is an ENTP Anarchist who recommends a relatively laissez-faire parenting style (percieving), since your children are going to end up pretty much the same no matter what you do. Amy Chua is an ISTJ law professor who thinks you can mold your child into a more disciplined person in line with your idea of a successful person (judging). Caplan thinks you should treat your children gently and kindly, (fe) because, logically, it won't make any difference; their genes are their genes (ti). Chua, on the other had, thinks you should treat your children firmly, scheduling their activities and shaping their personalities (te), in accordance with your inner ideals (fi). Caplan clearly relishes the debate and critiques Chua's ideas enthusiastically (extroversion), while Chua is more measured and responsive (introversion). Caplan argues by citing "40 years of adoption and twin studies" (intuition), asking hypothetical questions (ne) and poking holes in Chua's logic (ti), while Chua argues from personal experience (si), and appeals to her values, such as discipline, respect, and tenacity (fi).

W

WALMART

how is anything regarding a study intuition

you are not good at this

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The idea is not that citing the study proves he's intuitive. It's that citing the study is an example of him using intuition, particularly when contrasted with Chua; abstract, aggregate evidence vs. concrete personal evidence. As to how I know he's intuitive, how about, oh, I don't know, the fact that he says he's intuitive: http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/bcaplan/classic.html

And you're right, I'm not good at this. First I failed to see that Richard Dawkins is a te type because he's a scientist interested in "the objective universe", now I take Bryan Caplan's word that he's intuitive. Not to mention all the abstractions strewn across his website, and the fact that he's an economics professor with out-there political beliefs; it couldn't possibly be so obvious! I obviously need help from you to see past all the pointless cumulative work done in Typology over the last half-century to get back to the transcendent spiritual anima garbage Jung originally had in mind.

W

WALMART

The idea is not that citing the study proves he's intuitive. It's that citing the study is an example of him using intuition, particularly when contrasted with Chua; abstract, aggregate evidence vs. concrete personal evidence. As to how I know he's intuitive, how about, oh, I don't know, the fact that he says he's intuitive: http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/bcaplan/classic.html

And you're right, I'm not good at this. First I failed to see that Richard Dawkins is a te type because he's a scientist interested in "the objective universe", now I take Bryan Caplan's word that he's intuitive. Not to mention all the abstractions strewn across his website, and the fact that he's an economics professor with out-there political beliefs; it couldn't possibly be so obvious! I obviously need help from you to see past all the pointless cumulative work done in Typology over the last half-century to get back to the transcendent spiritual anima garbage Jung originally had in mind.

I am glad you have seen where you've erred. I hope to hear more of your insights soon.