• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Master List of Notable INTJs, Real and Imaginary

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Real:
Friedrich Nietzsche (an extreme example): 5w4
Martin Heidegger: 6w5
Jean-Paul Sartre: 4w5
Leo Strauss: 6w5
Karl Marx: 1w9
Sigmund Freud: 5w6
Martin Luther: 1w9
Adam Smith: 5w6 (Often mistyped as INTP)
John Maynard Keynes: 1w9
Paul Krugman: 5w6
Joseph Stiglitz: 5w6
Ludwig Von Mises: 1w9
Thomas Sewell: 5w4
Florence Nightingale: 5w6 (Often mistyped as INFJ)
Robert Heinlein: 5w6
Isaac Asimov: 5w4
Jane Austen: 4w5
Franz Kafka: 5w4 (Often mistyped as INFP)
Cormac McCarthy: 5w4
Phillip Pullman: 4w3
William F. Buckley, jr: 3w4
H.L. Mencken: 6w5
Christopher Hitchens: 5w4 (Often mistyped as ENTP)
Ayaan Hirsi Ali: 9w1
Ludwig van Beethoven: 4w5 (Often mistyped as INFP)
Bela Bartok: 5w4
Maynard James Keenan: 5w6
Roger Waters: 4w3
Stanley Kubrick: 5w4
Jodie Foster: 3w4
Chevy Chase: 8w7
Bobby Fischer: 5w4
Elon Musk: 1w9 (Often mistyped as ENTP)
Vladimir Lenin: 1w9
Hannibal Barca: 6w5
Augustus Caesar (And his portrayal in "Rome"): 5w6
Mark Zuckerberg (And his portrayal in "The Social Network"): 6w5
John Nash (And his portrayal in "A Beautiful Mind"): 5w6
Howard Hughes (And his portrayal in "The Aviator") 6w5
John Adams (And his portrayal in "John Adams") 1w9 (Often mistyped as ENTJ)
Calvin Coolidge: 5w6 (Often mistyped as ISTJ)
Richard Nixon: 6w5 (Often mistyped as ISTJ)
Isaac Newton: 5w6
Charles Darwin: 5w6
Nikola Tesla: 5w4 (Often mistyped as ENTP)
Ambrose Bierce: 5w4
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel: 6w5

Imaginary:
Rodion Raskolnikov from "Crime And Punishment": 5w4
Ivan Karamazov from "The Brothers Karamazov": 5w6
Satan from "Paradise Lost": 8w7
O'Brian from "Nineteen Eighty-Four": 9w8
Nathaniel from "The Bartimaeus Trilogy": 8w9
Peter Wiggin from "Ender's Game and sequels": 1w9
Lisbeth Salander from "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo": 5w4
Artemis Fowl: 5w6
Gandalf from "The Lord Of The Rings": 5w6
Severus Snape From "Harry Potter": 5w4
Victor Frankenstein and his Monster from "Frankenstein": both 5w6
Mr. Darcy from "Pride And Prejudice": 1w2
Heathcliff from "Wuthering Heights": 8w9
Mr. Rochester from "Jane Eyre": 6w5
Batman: 5w4
Dr. Octopus from "Spider-Man 2": 5w6
Magneto from "X-Men": 1w9
Ernst Stavro Blofeld from "James Bond": 5w6
V from "V for Vendetta": 5w4
Calvin from "Calvin and Hobbes" (Often mistyped as INTP) 8w7
Hannibal Lecter from "The Silence of The Lambs and sequels": 5w6
Michael Corleone from "The Godfather": 5w4
Sherlock Holmes, from the Doyle Stories and The BBC series: 5w6
Professor Moriarty, from the Doyle Stories and the recent films: 8w9
Gregory House from "House": 5w4 (Often mistyped as ENTP)
DCI John Luther from "Luther": 1w2
Stringer Bell from "The Wire": 6w5 (Often mistyped as ENTJ)
Mr. Spock from "Star Trek": 5w6
Sheldon Cooper from "The Big Bang Theory": 6w5 (Often mistyped as ISTJ)
Walter White from "Breaking Bad": 5w6
Seto Kaiba from "Yu-Gi-Oh" (and the abridged series, for what it's worth): 8w7
Light Yagami from "Death Note": 1w2
Lelouch Lamperouge from "Code Geass": 1w2
Morrigan from "Dragon Age: Origins": 5w4
God: 9w8 (Often mistyped as ENFJ)
Zarathustra (from Thus Spoke Zarathustra, not the one on this board. Although, you never know...) 5w4
Alec Hardy (from "Broadchurch"): 5w6
Chris Wilton (from "Match Point"): 6w5
John Galt, Howard Roark, and basically all other Ayn Rand heroes (all 5w6. Ayn Rand idealized INTJs, despite being a clear extrovert herself)

Often mistyped as INTJs:
Ayn Rand: ENTJ 8w9 (Sorry, ENTJs)
Adolf Hitler: INFJ 9w1 (Sorry, INFJs)
Ludwig Wittgenstein: INFJ 5w4 (with better tertiary ti than 99% of ti-doms)
Noam Chomsky: INFJ 1w9 (Sorry again, INFJs. Wittgenstein makes up for it a bit though, right?)
Arnold Schwarzenegger: ESTJ 8w7
Richard Dawkins: INTP 5w6
Stephen Hawking: INTP 5w6
Milton Friedman: INTP 5w6
Thomas Jefferson: INFJ 9w1
Niccolo Machiavelli: ENTP 5w6
Littlefinger from "A Song Of Ice And Fire": ENTP 7w8
Abed Nadir from "Community": INTP 4w5
Vito Corleone from "The Godfather": ENFJ 6w5

Last edited:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What makes you so sure of their types? I mean, on the whole, it's a good list, but you have them in absolutes. Like, you could list it in more of a contingency fashion (plan A, B, C, and so forth for their types) such as: Nikola Tesla - INTJ>ENTP>INTP 5w4>5w6 or Friedrich Nietzsche - INTJ>INFJ 5w4>4w5>5w6 and so forth.

Characters/people you could consider adding (and just because I list them here doesn't mean it's for certain):
Fictional - Revan, Yoda, Ansem, Shadow, Mewtwo.
Real - Ken Wilber, Giordano Bruno, George Gurdjieff.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mainly because contingency fashion would be time consuming, would add little new information, and would approach a degree of specificity I am not comfortable with. It's not like I know these people personally.

Yoda is clearly INFJ. Revan's personality is dependent on the player. I haven't heard of the other 3.

A cursory glance at Wilber's wikipedia page tells me that he peddles New Age bullshit for impressionable celebrities. :wacko: Likely ENFJ (but I'm just being stereotypical). Gurdjieff looks similar.

Bruno could have been an INTJ, but I don't know enough about his personality to say for sure. His cosmological ideas suggests ne (sounds like he was a forerunner to the many-worlds theory), and Pantheism is a very fe belief. I would guess INTP or ENTP. 5w4 seems likely, as he was a rebellious scientist with radical ideas.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He te'd constantly, and was a very judgmental person. His quotes read like a parody of an INTJ, albeit a virulently anti-semitic one. :sick:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bobby_Fischer

Great chess player though, best there ever was for my money.

R

Riva

Arnie is an entj. I don't know how you saw him as a eStJ. He is way too versatile to be an sj. Some sps type him as a estp. Howard hughes (aviator) is an entj it hurts. He is a visionary with a definite objective in mind (nj), is a showman and is extroverted as an extrovert gets (e). Anyone who thinks h.h in the aviator is an introvert only has watched the last 5 minutes of the movie where they say that he died a recluse. Besides although Se is definitely there in intjs - without it theis Ni would be useless and would get to a ni fi loop where they constantly masturbate to their emo desires and reject realities - it is seldom evident to others. Se is extroverted and is visible - much more than Ne is; which is the other Pe function - and intjs seldom exhibit it at all; whereas h.h constantly does. What is great about Se in a enjs is it is controlled/utilized by Je. Je is a persuasive/directive function of the external; and when conbined with Se it has a cult leader vibe to it - with a touch of ni vision to help them of course-. in simple terms H.h is simply too extroverted and showmanish to be an introvert. Therefore isn't an intj.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Pretty good list.

Don't necessarily agree with all, but it's a worthy contribution.

I (and most others) think Hitchens is a 6w5, not a 5w4.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pretty good list.

Don't necessarily agree with all, but it's a worthy contribution.

I (and most others) think Hitchens is a 6w5, not a 5w4.

The 5w4 is known as "the iconoclast". Tell me tat doesn't describe Hitchens perfectly. He seemed more concerned with preserving his individuality than with safety to me, otherwise he wouldn't have made such brazen attacks on popular figures and norms (he slammed Mother Teresa, for crying out loud). Sam Harris, in my view, is an INFJ 5w6, and he's much more cautious and concerned with his safety.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Arnie is an entj. I don't know how you saw him as a eStJ. He is way too versatile to be an sj. Some sps type him as a estp. Howard hughes (aviator) is an entj it hurts. He is a visionary with a definite objective in mind (nj), is a showman and is extroverted as an extrovert gets (e). Anyone who thinks h.h in the aviator is an introvert only has watched the last 5 minutes of the movie where they say that he died a recluse. Besides although Se is definitely there in intjs - without it theis Ni would be useless and would get to a ni fi loop where they constantly masturbate to their emo desires and reject realities - it is seldom evident to others. Se is extroverted and is visible - much more than Ne is; which is the other Pe function - and intjs seldom exhibit it at all; whereas h.h constantly does. What is great about Se in a enjs is it is controlled/utilized by Je. Je is a persuasive/directive function of the external; and when conbined with Se it has a cult leader vibe to it - with a touch of ni vision to help them of course-. in simple terms H.h is simply too extroverted and showmanish to be an introvert. Therefore isn't an intj.
Arnie seems like a sensor, but I could be prejudiced because all his movie roles are sensors. Bodybuilding, bricklaying, and being an action star seem like pretty sensing profession choices to me. ENTJ with strong se is a possibility though. Good point about Howard Hughes; I may have been projecting what I know of his real life (in which he was definitely an introvert) onto the movie (which chronicled his pre-shut in days). INTJs can be Showmanish as well if their inferior function is strong enough (its not like real social interaction after all :sick:), but ENTJ's are much more likely to be, I agree.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm no ultra-wise authority on these things, but it seems like there's a bit too many 5w4s.

Perhaps it's more common than I think and/or it's a biased projection.

I thought 5w6 and 6w5 are completely capable of generating esoteric conceptions.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would like to hear why you prefer INTJ to INFP for Kafka.

In my view, people usually type Kafka INFP out of stereotypes rather than function analysis. INFP is the standard typing for great writers (Shakespeare is often labeled INFP, even though we know so little about him that he could have been any type). It is also the standard typing for Anti-Social, Overwhelmed, too-good-for-this-world shut-ins (Kurt Cobain, an ISFP, is always typed INFP for this reason). My theory is that he was an INTJ with badly repressed se, stuck in a ni-fi loop. His books seem more concerned with giving voice to his existentialist ideas and exploring his paranoia than creating a fantasy world, developing characters, or articulating emotional ideals. Compare him to Orwell, and I think you see a ni vs. fi. contrast. According to wikipedia, today he is noted more for his visions and perspective (he basically predicted the 20th century) than his characters, use of language, or other typical INFP writing strengths. He also created a "rigidly inflexible and sterile bureaucratic universe, and wrote in an aloof manner full of legal and scientific terms". Sounds more te than fi. He also apparently invented modern safety gear (no, really http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_hat) which seems te; a logical extension of the external environment. He could have been an INFP living out his inferior te in his writing, but I find INFPs tend to write (or read) fiction because they prefer imagination to reality. Kafka's writing seems more ni to me, like Dostoevsky's or Dante's (both INFJ). He explores perspectives, ideas, and nightmarish, paranoid visions. Kafka: "If the book we are reading does not wake us, as with a fist hammering on our skulls, then why do we read it?" He could have been an INFJ, but apparently he possessed "a quiet and cool demeanor, obvious intelligence, and a dry sense of humour", which sounds INTJish to me. His writing is also totally lacking in fe. Apparently he possessed "precise conscientiousness" and was "very sensitive to noise and preferred quiet when writing". Sounds like a J fusspot to me. His books just read very much like an INTJ's work, as well.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm no ultra-wise authority on these things, but it seems like there's a bit too many 5w4s.

Perhaps it's more common than I think and/or it's a biased projection.

I thought 5w6 and 6w5 are completely capable of generating esoteric conceptions.

Certainly they are, and it's quite possible I'm projecting. Which 5w4s seems off to you? I do think 6 and w6 are over prescribed to INTJs as opposed to 4 and w4 though, because of the stereotype of INTJs as no-nonsense, highly competent types.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Certainly they are, and it's quite possible I'm projecting. Which 5w4s seems off to you? I do think 6 and w6 are over prescribed to INTJs as opposed to 4 and w4 though, because of the stereotype of INTJs as no-nonsense, highly competent types.

The ones I had in mind were mainly the folks with more technical inclincations, and namely some of the cosmologists.

The answer must be in the middle of the wings - I posted that comment largely just to see what kind of responce it would generate.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The ones I had in mind were mainly the folks with more technical inclincations, and namely some of the cosmologists.

The answer must be in the middle of the wings - I posted that comment largely just to see what kind of responce it would generate.

The only cosmologists on the list are Hawking and Newton, both of whom are 5w6 :huh:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
The 5w4 is known as "the iconoclast". Tell me tat doesn't describe Hitchens perfectly. He seemed more concerned with preserving his individuality than with safety to me, otherwise he wouldn't have made such brazen attacks on popular figures and norms (he slammed Mother Teresa, for crying out loud). Sam Harris, in my view, is an INFJ 5w6, and he's much more cautious and concerned with his safety.

I think "The Devil's Advocate", or "The Skeptical Loyalist", describe him very well, and that, as a clearly counterphobic 6w5, attacking popular characters and norms would not only *not* be out of character, but would be *exactly* what he would be known for. A 5 would be too concerned with maintaining his own internal space and separation from society to be as constantly out and in the public eye as Hitchens was and clearly loved to be (due largely to his unhealthy connection to enneagram 3).

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
What's wrong with Noam Chomsky? He seems pretty harmless compared to Hitler. >_>

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's wrong with Noam Chomsky? He seems pretty harmless compared to Hitler. >_>

That's a pretty low standard for him right there. Yes, he's better than Hitler. That doesn't change the fact that he's an innatist dickhead who's outlandish ideas (which lack any empirical support whatsoever) have brought him a cult of public-intellectualism, which he has used to promote some truly uninspired political ideas.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think "The Devil's Advocate", or "The Skeptical Loyalist", describe him very well, and that, as a clearly counterphobic 6w5, attacking popular characters and norms would not only *not* be out of character, but would be *exactly* what he would be known for. A 5 would be too concerned with maintaining his own internal space and separation from society to be as constantly out and in the public eye as Hitchens was and clearly loved to be (due largely to his unhealthy connection to enneagram 3).

Unhealthy 6 regressing to 3 is a possibility, but I don't think 6 fits him very well. He wasn't security oriented (he visited North Korea), nor was he reliable, stable, self-doubting, or stressful (he was very calm about his cancer). He was so immoderate that many mistake him for an ENTP 7w8. Furthermore, I don't think he was psychologically unhealthy. I see him more as a well developed 5 tending towards 8, which made him more outgoing. When unhealthy, he tended towards 7 (drinking, smoking, disorganization and the like). I also see 4 in his love of art, his iconoclasticism (his natural instinct was always to disagree, something I can definitely relate to), and his rather moody and brooding disposition. It is possible I'm projecting, but I do think 5w4 fits him best.

Additional INTJs:
Real:
Ambrose Bierce: 5w4
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel: 6w5

Imaginary:
God: 9w8 (Often mistyped as ENFJ)
Zarathustra (from Thus Spoke Zarathustra, not the one on this board. Although, you never know...) 5w4
Alec Hardy (from "Broadchurch"): 5w6
Chris Wilton (from "Match Point"): 6w5
John Galt, Howard Roark, and basically all other Ayn Rand heroes (all 5w6. Ayn Rand idealized INTJs, despite being a clear extrovert herself)