• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Joanna Newsom's type?

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i would actually agree that liv and jerry might be Fi dominant, as well. that would be ixfj in my book (rather isfj). might be the key, to why someone would argue, that they match the vague infj archetype, that people have, who are not into functions. they do match that archetype at least loosely. its just that i am conflicted about what intuition is. i dislike the usage of the word as synonym for obsession with fantasy. but that is a matter of definition. both sensing and intuition are perception, and perception is always a very creative process under the hood. i don't mention joanna in this series, because by now, i have looked at two of her videos and it did not resonate with anything i know.

i think threads like this should be considered brainstorming ie monologues about the original topics, not discussion, ie deconstruction of previous arguments. i like to read anyones ideas, no matter how different they are from mine.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
well, i am flamed in various boards, as being the most arrogant and insane person as well. there might be a connection. :devil:

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Surely not? ISFPs are illiterate.

Uh... I mean ISFPs no reed oar rite gud
Remind me to add "annoyingly hypersensitive" to the list of ISFP traits.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
That's more like it!

See, It's not so hard to avoid making blanket statements. :newwink:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i assumed she was infp immediately. she reminds me of jeff mangum. she is definitely an inf of some sort. "i have read the right books, to interpret your looks, you were knocking me down, with the palm of your eye." hell, one of her songs has a lyric about semiotics "and the signifieds butt heads with the signifiers, and we all fall down slack-jawed to marvel at words." sadie and peach plum pear scream inf so hard, i can feel their eyes on me and remember THIS growing up.

she seems more Fi to me than Fe, but i could see either now. i'm in love with the milk-eyed mender, but this infj i think would better explain her other record. too exploratory for Fi dom, doesn't pack hard enough of a punch. do people generally type bjork as infp or infj? she seems more aggressively and assertively enneagram 4, her values cannot be crossed. my natural inclination for her was infp. but i could see her being an infj maybe too, a la thom yorke. plus she's friends/so sympatico with michel gondry, who stikes me as very very very infj. the science of sleep IS me, there's no way around it.

klpi

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w5
No, she doesn't really strike me as an infj. That's something i'd never have considered for her, anyway.
I think infjs are less, um, light in their expression (please don't ask me to explain what i mean by this) and, like someone said earlier, they have this certain air of reserved sophistication different from that of joanna newsom's. Newsom i find more floaty.
Besides, I think she has Fi. Having trouble relating feelings is Fi, not Fe. She comes across quite infp to me in her interviews, but her lyrics are more Se backed up by tertiary Ni than Ne, i guess, so i'm going to say she's isfp.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah that's just crazy. she's an infp. i was so certain before, and i feel like there's a good reason for it. dominant Fi no question. gotta be infp, her second record is not an isfp record by any stretch of the imagination. also, i love her.

klpi

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w5
For a while after reading this thread i thought she was an isfp, but i guess i have to agree, she's probably an infp. What she talks of (and how she says it) in this interview seems pretty infp to me.
Yep, and i love her too!

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
don't talk me out of it next time!

she's an infj. her songs are written like dickinson poems. she likes arrangement in the infj way (infps don't ever dig that overly arranged shit) (think infj like sufjan, connor oberst, etc).

Ni dom, aux Fe. she uses context to write her songs, she is passionate (probably a 4) but her songs are about a situation, her feelings are just kind of inferred.

"exhume your pine cone, sadie"

she says, "ideas are easy for me to articulate but not feelings, outside of the songs"

she seems more Ni dom sensitive than Fi weighty

Sunny Ghost

i kind of agree with isfp... but it does appear as though it is the isfp's screaming isfp...

she seems less like she's writing about a particular reason or cause, or making a particular statement so much as she is just writing what sounds good.

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
FWIW, I find Joanna Newsom kind of annoying. An annoying INFJ, to be sure, but annoying nonetheless.

Is there such a creature as an INFJ that is not annoying? Why bother with the adjective? It is intrinsic to the type.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is there such a creature as an INFJ that is not annoying? Why bother with the adjective? It is intrinsic to the type.
Is there such a INTJ that is so arrogant, preposterous, and baseless as you? Why bother making such a vile, prejudicial claim, Lex?

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
What? From personal experience, that is how INFJs have been imprinted on my mind. It may seem "baseless" to you, but it certainly isn't for me.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Type has nothing to do with a person's character, any type can be annoying, brave, or cowardly.

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
It most certainly does. Type is personality. Personality is inextricably linked with character.