• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is Teddy Roosevelt thought to have been ESTP??

DoctorCroupy#9

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have NEVER understood this. This is pretty random, but I just saw him pop up as ESTP on yet another site and HAD to talk about it.

Okay, so he was very active and into adventuring. You don't HAVE to be an SP to be into that. I guess what I'm saying is that is such a small detail to base his typing on. Everything else about him, from his policies to his visions, seems very blatantly NT. Here's a quote by the man himself talking about his childhood. Sounds a lot like an NT kid.

"As far as I can remember they were absolutely commonplace. I was a rather sickly, rather timid little boy, very fond of desultory reading and of natural history, and not excelling in any form of sport. Owing to my asthma I was not able to go to school, and I was nervous and self-conscious, so that as far as I can remember my belief is that I was rather below than above my average playmate in point of leadership; though as I had an imaginative temperament this sometimes made up for my other short-comings. Altogether, while, thanks to my father and mother, I had a very happy childhood I am inclined to look back at it with some wonder that I should have come out of it as well as I have! It was not until after I was sixteen that I began to show any prowess, or even ordinary capacity; up to that time, except making collections of natural history, reading a good deal in certain narrowly limited fields and indulging in the usual scribbling of the small boy who does not excel in sport, I cannot remember that I did anything that even lifted me up to the average."

Another reason I feel he was an NT is he was always thinking about the future. Rather than dealing with issues in a here and now style like an SP (such as JFK) might, he was always planning ahead, with a great amount of adaptability, ways to secure a vision for the future. He came up with visionary ideas that when compared to the ideals of his time came off as very radical. He was the first to propose the idea of a social insurance (an idea that later became social security under FDR) and when first assuming presidency, went against his previous Republican president's views of smaller government involvement, and set in motion plans that would regulate big business. He was also the first to ever invite an African American to the White House.

Nothing about the way he thought, planned, and handled situations seems SP to me. He challenged convention, rather than wanting to lead the way others had before him.

I'd say he was most likely an ENTP 7w8 or 8w7. I see very little to no S dom behavior in him. And from how I've heard him described, he sounded very Ti/Fe. He was supposedly a super charming guy in a crowd and hard to read.

Well, that's my rant haha.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If he is an NT... that sounds more NTJ. I don't know why you don't see Se.

DoctorCroupy#9

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If he is an NT... that sounds more NTJ. I don't know why you don't see Se.

I'd even agree with NTJ as well, but I just don't see how he can be SP. It's not that I don't see any Se in him, because there is some (shadow function, maybe?), but his NT way of leading and the insane amount of forward thinking in him outshines it. In fact, the only reason I went with ENTP over ENTJ was the fact that there seemed to be a lot of Fe in him. That, and him being a 7w8 enneagram would explain his love for adventure and danger, and the most common type for ENTPs seems to be 7w8. Plus the whole going out of your way to come up with something new instead of using a proven method seems way more NTP than NTJ.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, what were his hobbies?

"Speak softly and carry a big stick."..... what is Ne about that?

Just because you like someone, it doesn't mean they are an NTP.

Jimmy Carter (I definitely see Ti in him, in any case.) , Richard Nixon, and Herbert Hoover are who I would pick as the most likely candidates for INTP presidents. Some of the most hated, lol. Nixon might have been an INTJ, though.

Some people say Lincoln was one, but I don't know that much about Lincoln, the man, only the myth. So I can't agree or disagree.

Jefferson was probably an NTP, though.

DoctorCroupy#9

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, what were his hobbies?

"Speak softly and carry a big stick."..... what is Ne about that?

Just because you like someone, it doesn't mean they are an NTP.

What's NOT Ne about it? It's a clever analogy for 'don't start a fight, but be strong enough to end one' that doubles as a chuckle-worthy euphemism.

The bulk of his foreign policy was based around trying to mediate a disagreement before anything became a physical threat to anyone. Not that Se couldn't pull this off, but it seems like something Ne would be better suited for. Maybe not though. I just know most other SP presidents had very different ways of thinking. But that's generalizing, of course.

But anyways, I think I gave a lot of reasons as to why I think he's NT, other than "I like him" xD
I just think people judge him too much on his adventurous streak, rather than the way he actually thought and reasoned. Not that SPs can't be super forward thinking and innovative, but it's a much more common trait among NTs.

DoctorCroupy#9

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ESTPs can be a smart bunch.

Definitely! One of the smartest guys I know (uncle) is a total ESTP. STPs and NTPs just have different strengths and weaknesses when it comes to problem solving and reasoning. I didn't mean for it to come across as 'he's NT because he's smart' or anything, I just believe that the ways he exhibited his intelligence seems to be more on the NT side of the fence. SPs seem to excel in here-and-now detail oriented problem solving and work, especially compared to NTPs. TR wasn't big on attention to detail and the vast majority of his ideas were future oriented. In fact, the area he lacked most in seemed to be detail oriented tasks, such as going through the system. He would often disregard Congress in his foreign policy decisions.