• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

No Country For Old Men, Characters

Sling

MBTI Type
N358
Anton Chigurh - xNTJ
Llewelyn Moss - ISTP

Carson Wells - xNTx
Sheriff Bell - XSTJ

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
Pretty good movie. Moss was definitely an ISTP. Chigurh seemed like an INTJ... plus crazy. I'm pretty sure the Sheriff was an ISTJ. None of the other characters were particularly typeable.

LucrativeSid

Anton is a sociopath..., but why do you guys think he's an N? I would have said that he's as S as they come, but maybe I can be convinced otherwise.

Sling

MBTI Type
N358
Anton is a sociopath..., but why do you guys think he's an N? I would have said that he's as S as they come, but maybe I can be convinced otherwise.

He is too methodical and speculative to be a SP. He definitely isn't an F, so that narrows it down to an XSTJ.

The way he gets into everybody else's head and figures out what they do, and then plans for as many contingencies as he can. It's either N or some very good Si.

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Anton- INTJ
Moss- ISTP
Bell- ISTJ
Moss's wife- ESFJ

R

Riva

He is too methodical and speculative to be a SP. He definitely isn't an F, so that narrows it down to an XSTJ.

The way he gets into everybody else's head and figures out what they do, and then plans for as many contingencies as he can. It's either N or some very good Si.

I cannot remember him ever making contingency plans. The only contingency plan he made (as I recall) was to keep on changing his vehicle so he cannot be tracked down.

And that is not even a contingency plan. That is just a precaution.

VagrantFarce

I cannot remember him ever making contingency plans. The only contingency plan he made (as I recall) was to keep on changing his vehicle so he cannot be tracked down.

And that is not even a contingency plan. That is just a precaution.

He barely even talked - of course you don't remember him making any contingency plans. :D But you can tell he plans things out methodically before acting: for example when he's about to raid the motel room, he rents another one to plan what he's going to do.

The only other possibility for Chigurh is ISTP in my opinion, but his actions didn't seem spontaneous to me at all (even when Moss knows he's coming) - they were acted out with a certainty and a slow, patient exactness that suggested he had planned for it.

R

Riva

He barely even talked - of course you don't remember him making any contingency plans. :D But you can tell he plans things out methodically before acting: for example when he's about to raid the motel room, he rents another one to plan what he's going to do.

The only other possibility for Chigurh is ISTP in my opinion, but his actions didn't seem spontaneous to me at all (even when Moss knows he's coming) - they were acted out with a certainty and a slow, patient exactness that suggested he had planned for it.

Aha....

ISTP is a good assumption.

Why?
Spontaneous ISTPs maybe but I would say they are the least spontaneous SPs. Does not Ti (especially doms) work systematically and try to find precision in the most abstract of concepts?

Would this not make ISTPs be the least spontaneous of all SPs? and wouldn't it make them more meticulous?

And assuming he is a ISTP it explains a lot of his behavior. Even the time consuming, boring plan making which SPs theoretically hate would be explained.

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Aha....

ISTP is a good assumption.

Why?
Spontaneous ISTPs maybe but I would say they are the least spontaneous SPs. Does not Ti (especially doms) work systematically and try to find precision in the most abstract of concepts?

Would this not make ISTPs be the least spontaneous of all SPs? and wouldn't it make them more meticulous?

And assuming he is a ISTP it explains a lot of his behavior. Even the time consuming, boring plan making which SPs theoretically hate would be explained.

Thats true. And, very possible. Anton and Moss do seem to be almost equals. They just happen to be against each other in this particular circumstance. Also, INTJ's and ISTP's are supposed to be "lookalikes" which would explain why I originally thought INTJ.

It would be cool if he was... Good ISTP vs bad ISTP...

VagrantFarce

Well Joel Coen and Cormac McCarthy are INTJs, so Chigurh's an INTJ as well! I HAVE SPOKEN :azdaja:

blahblahbob

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Wow... you guys couldn't be more off with Sheriff Bell - he's an INFP. Maybe it doesn't come across strong in the movies, but in the books he evaluates everything by his own feelings. He tries to testify on behalf of a death row guy he thinks is innocent only to have the criminal scoff in his face and laugh and boast about how he was a ruthless murderer. He finds disgust with the county prosecutor when the prosecutor confirms that "right and wrong" aren't taught in law school, only "law." He ponders forever on why Chigurh kills the woman just thinking "why would he do that? he didn't have to kill her... it just doesn't make any sense." He is relentlessly tormented by survivor's guilt over leaving his platoon to die in WWII. Everything Bell does and thinks is of his own ideology. That's why he can't make any sense out of Chigurh and he's so deeply out of his element.

Sheriff Bell is classic INFP - but it does come across way more strongly in McCarthy's writings.