• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bill O'Reilly

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
You said you voted for George W. Bush and he is most certainly by anyone's measure a Neo-Con.

I've never heard him call himself that.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I've never heard him call himself that.

George W. Bush's policies sometimes align with the neoconservative political ideology. I don't think he's ever called himself that formally.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
George W. Bush's policies sometimes align with the neoconservative political ideology. I don't think he's ever called himself that formally.

I'd have to agree here. Bush has a lot of neocons around him, but he had an oddball coalition supporting him. There were neocons, the Religious Right, business conservatives, and what used to be Reagan Democrats all voting for him.

heart

heart on fire
what used to be Reagan Democrats all voting for him.

I know quite a few "Reagan Democrats" and none of them voted for Bush I or Bush II.

Neoconservatism emphasizes foreign policy as the paramount responsibility of government, maintaining that America's role as the world's sole superpower is indispensable to establishing and maintaining global order.

McGowan, J. (2007). "Neoconservatism", American Liberalism: An Interpretation for Our Time. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, pp.124-133.

Bush seems to me to be supporting the PNAC plan put forth in 2000 and from what I can tell it is a very Neo-Con type of plan. His fruits seem to be Neo-Con in flavor and not so much of a Christian Conservative/Christian Dominionist flavor. The Christian Dominionists' values are merely used in a Strausian fashion to seduce/sway voters.

Same thing is done with issues like Greenism with the left.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Bush is definitely a neoconservative.

I think you're thinking of 'compassionate conservative' though- he called himself that in the 2000 election.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Bush is definitely a neoconservative.

I think you're thinking of 'compassionate conservative' though- he called himself that in the 2000 election.

Yeah, compassionate conservative sounds much better than "neo" that sounds like some nerd came up with it. That was one of the reasons I was drawn to Bush in the first place. I think compassionate conservative is a good term for myself, so I relate to him a lot.

heart

heart on fire
Yeah, compassionate conservative sounds much better than "neo" that sounds like some nerd came up with it. That was one of the reasons I was drawn to Bush in the first place. I think compassionate conservative is a good term for myself, so I relate to him a lot.

Bush has put his "Compassionate Conservative" talk on the back burner shortly after his first election and most of his focus and actions have seemed to slant instead towards the NeoConservative side, the PNAC agenda. Best to judge our leaders by their fruits rather than their mere words, on both sides.

Whether or not the term Neo-Conservative sounds nerdy to you or not, it seems irrelevant, it is a valid and accepted term to describe political leanings.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5

The terms "compassionate conservatism" and "neoconservatism" describe two different things. Neoconservatism, as it is used today, has more to do with foreign policy than anything else. Compassionate conservatism refers to domestic issues such as poverty and immigration.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Whether or not the term Neo-Conservative sounds nerdy to you or not, it seems irrelevant, it is a valid and accepted term to describe political leanings.

Not to David Horowitz ;)

miked277

MBTI Type
INTP
i would most definitely say entj after having started listening to his radio show and reading his latest book. i would like to hear from anyone who listens to him on a regular basis and has read his books who thinks differently.

prior to getting to know him much better i too saw him as an estj. but he definitely has that innate distrust of authority that i suppose is typical of NTs. the estjs i know and have read about are trusting, at least on some level, of authority and do not question it or and are much more willing to accept "tradition" without question. while bill o'reilly does of course lean more toward the conservative side on many issues, he's most definitely not a "kool-aid drinking idealogue," as he would put it. if he's come to believe in certain ideas then those beliefs were reached through rigorous thought and experience. yes, he's thoughtful (but prone to bloviating--another bill word), open minded (don't let the Te fool you) and acts like most entjs i've read about.

sidenote: while i might not agree with him on *every* issue i think his analyses are almost always accurate and insightful.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
i would most definitely say entj after having started listening to his radio show and reading his latest book. i would like to hear from anyone who listens to him on a regular basis and has read his books who thinks differently.

prior to getting to know him much better i too saw him as an estj. but he definitely has that innate distrust of authority that i suppose is typical of NTs. the estjs i know and have read about are trusting, at least on some level, of authority and do not question it or and are much more willing to accept "tradition" without question. while bill o'reilly does of course lean more toward the conservative side on many issues, he's most definitely not a "kool-aid drinking idealogue," as he would put it. if he's come to believe in certain ideas then those beliefs were reached through rigorous thought and experience. yes, he's thoughtful (but prone to bloviating--another bill word), open minded (don't let the Te fool you) and acts like most entjs i've read about.

sidenote: while i might not agree with him on *every* issue i think his analyses are almost always accurate and insightful.

I concur. He does not tow the party line. Despite being a conservative I think he tends to form his own opinions, ergo ENTJ.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
O'Reilly's 4 letter MBTI personality type is: Asshole

Nah, I just disagree with many many things about him

jdempcy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I think he's an ESTJ and he reminds me a lot of the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch on Game of Thrones, Alliser Thorne. Who I also think is an ESTJ. :)