• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

THe White Stripes

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I want to get away from all these sheep who are obsession about celebrities like that stupid royal baby.

I finally purchased Jack White's solo album. I've long been a White Stripes fan.... actually, they helped me get into contemporary music way back in high school. There's a rawness to it while having a melody and structure not present in, say, punk music. (Why Meg gets criticized for her drumming, but the Sex Pistols are gods ia beyond me.)

Anyway, my verdict is that Jack White is an ISTP. He's good at creating something that's sensorily interesting... not just in terms of music, but visually as well, like his Wonka-esque recording studio.

I don't think Se is his dominant function, though. He really doesn't seem "wild enough". So, we have ISXP.

Now for the Ti... this is the hardest to identify, but I can make a case for this. A lot of his songs seem to be about emotions don't really make sense (noticing logical inconsistencies). And on this record, in the song "Hip (Eponymous) Poor Boy", there seems to be a lot of self-aware mocking of his role in the White Stripes. I used to think he denied that the song was even about this, but then I found the interview i was thinking of, and his response is more of a ""neither confirm nor deny" response.

AVclub said:
AVC: I’m intrigued by some of the lyrics on this record that seem to comment on the dissolution of The White Stripes. For instance, in the song “Hip (Eponymous) Poor Boy,” you sing: “And you’ll be watching me, girl / Taking over the world / Let the stripes unfurl / Gettin’ rich singin’ poor boy / Poor boy.” Am I misreading this lyric? If so, what did you mean?
JW: That “Hip (Eponymous)” track was actually something I forced myself to go record at 5 in the morning. A melody and some lyrics I dreamed that I thought must’ve been something I saw a boy band do on MTV the day before. The story in the song is about white hipster musicianship and authenticity. The “stripes” are me talking about the flag and the American dream of profiting at any cost. The boy and girl in the song are arbitrary. I could’ve said grandma and Old Joe.

That response reminds me a little of ISFP Dylan-esque cageyness, but I also notice that he says that "they could have been anybody," but he does not say that it could not apply to him. Anyway, the fact that he made a song that seemed to point out his own absurdity, that seems like something Ti would do. I think Ti is good at self-aware mocking and depreciation, and noticing when we're acting ridiculous. (I'm doing this at the very top, for another example. )

And elsewhere, he's talked about the need for imposing "rules" on his creative output and how that contrasted with everyone else's approach. To me, this sounds like Ti systematizing which must stand out in a very F-dominated field like the music industry.

Another rule he seems to have is playing with female musicians. Most of the musicians playing on his record are female. I don't think it's just a way to get his rocks off. He's said that men have too many ego issues, and are always trying to grab the spotlight at the expense of what the song needs (or, admittedly, his vision). (Sounds a little like my limited experience with team sports and how every guy wants to be a star player rather than a team playerr). But, anyway, he's found a '"rule" about male and female musicians (that's probably not true across the board, but this is generalizing introverted Thinking, remember) and has applied that rule. There's something systematic about coming to that conclusion and using it. It doesn't seem like a very F thing to do, it's certainly not a very Fi thing to do.

As for Meg's type, it's hard to know about her. IXFP, I think. I don't know why, but she reminds me of an INFP I dated. SHe doesn't look like her at all, but her way of speaking in interviews, when she says anything at all, reminds me of her.