• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is Spock - INTP, ISTJ, INTJ, ISTP?

What type is Spock - INTP, ISTJ, INTJ, ISTP?

• Total voters

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL. In all seriousness, I peg Spock as more of an INTP than an INTJ. He's a Ti dom, not a Ni dom. He's just a 5w6 (which can be very "by the book" at times), not a 5w4. (In other words, I "get" Spock more than I probably should.)

Star Trek Into Darkness

I would type Spock as an INTP 5w6 Sp/So, but I could also potentially see any of the 4 IxTx types, seeing all of the stoic solitary reasoning and obsessive logical analysis.

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Character Profile - Spock- UK

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Only half of Spock is typeable.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Disagree. If we can type Jar-Jar Binks and Yoda (whatever the hell his species is), we can type Vulcans.

He really doesn't seem like a Ni dom to me at all. I suppose his tendencies to be more "by the book", at least in the newer movies, have some people place him as an INTJ, but I assure you, INTPs also have this tendency. 5w6s do, at the least.

I'd buy ISTJ before I'd buy INTJ. He doesn't seem to get those Ni hunches (which seems to be a good way of desribing Ni).

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Haha. I didn't say it can't or won't be done. Just that it can only mean so much. Spock is a black sheep to others on his planet. He broke out and did something not seen as "normal." So, seems to me, for that reason and others that contribute to his black sheep status, he's a giant extrovert if seen from the perspective of this his own species' standards.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Totally ISTJ. Too much of a stickler for rules and procedures to be anything except SJ, especially in Star Trek Into Darkness. And too structured and inflexible to be a P.

I could buy INTJ, maybe. But I don't see IxTP at ALL.

Edit: Not sure if I could buy INTJ either. I was just talking to [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] about the INTJ emphasis on autonomy. Spock is way too much of a nag -- again, especially in Star Trek Into Darkness -- for me to think that he shared that value.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=74]digesthisickness[/MENTION] Good point. We can only come at it from the human perspective.

It should be noted that if you know the backstory of the Vulcans, they have not always been super logical. I suspect that much of the differences between Vulcans and humans in terms of personality is cultural, rather than biological in origin.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Totally ISTJ. Too much of a stickler for rules and procedures to be anything except SJ, especially in Star Trek Into Darkness. And too structured and inflexible to be a P.

I could buy INTJ, maybe. But I don't see IxTP at ALL.
I haven't seen the latest movie, so I'm going by the original series and movies. It is a tough call between ISTJ and INTJ. Yes, we see his familiarity with rules and procedures, but the fact that he can cite them (or hold others to them) does not mean he follows them. We also must consider that whatever intuitions (Ni visions) he comes up with will be shared only after thorough vetting by Te. Spock often bails out the crew by coming up with an unorthodox bit of science or engineering. Just his choice of career goes against the conventions of his society. I wouldn't thing an SJ, especially a young SJ would do this. So, I would say he's INTJ, with ISTJ as the most likely alternative.

Regarding your edit and our discussion: as second in command, Spock very definitely gets to tell others what to do, so preserving personal autonomy will be secondary to his command role. Note however how firmly he supports things like the prime directive, and lets Kirk and McCoy (the two people he cannot really command) go their own way when his persuasion is inadequate, but remains prepared to bail them out if they fail.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Does he ever think "outside of the box"? Yes. Yes, he does. Except for during the time of Pon farr. In which time he's all about the box.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
My vote's for ISTJ. I just saw the most recent sequel, tho, so I may be relatively uninformed.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I haven't seen the latest movie, so I'm going by the original series and movies. It is a tough call between ISTJ and INTJ. Yes, we see his familiarity with rules and procedures, but the fact that he can cite them (or hold others to them) does not mean he follows them. We also must consider that whatever intuitions (Ni visions) he comes up with will be shared only after thorough vetting by Te. Spock often bails out the crew by coming up with an unorthodox bit of science or engineering. Just his choice of career goes against the conventions of his society. I wouldn't thing an SJ, especially a young SJ would do this. So, I would say he's INTJ, with ISTJ as the most likely alternative.

Regarding your edit and our discussion: as second in command, Spock very definitely gets to tell others what to do, so preserving personal autonomy will be secondary to his command role. Note however how firmly he supports things like the prime directive, and lets Kirk and McCoy (the two people he cannot really command) go their own way when his persuasion is inadequate, but remains prepared to bail them out if they fail.
That makes a lot of sense. He may be more ISTJ in the most recent movie, and more INTJ in the Nimoy films and in TOS -- neither of which I remember all that well. (I was more of a TNG person.)
My vote's for ISTJ. I just saw the most recent sequel, tho, so I may be relatively uninformed.
I'm in the same boat.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm going by the originals too. Just throwing that out there since there's apparently some sort of important difference in the two versions.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
We should also keep in mind that classic Spock is older, so if the new, younger Spock is less willing to bend the rules, that may be due to immaturity. Like, say, using too much T, and not enough N. That can change with age.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I forget what the life cycle is of a Vulcan. They could both be relatively young. If there is also an important difference in the personalities of the other characters in the newer version, then damn, may have to separate the two.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't remember old Spock being quite so insistent on the rules. He would cite them, sure, but he didn't seem so bound by them.

However, by the end of the latest movie, he seems to have grown somewhat with this.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Right. He knew them well, but saw logic in the breaking of them if necessary.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am recalling scenes like the one shown below, at the end of which Spock goes to engineering and provides Scotty with some solution out of left field to solve the current propulsion crisis.