• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fight Club

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw this movie for the first time in at least 4 years last friday, and I had a thought. The main character seems to be an ISTP (albeit one who's managed to get himself a boring office job) with his alter-ego, Tyler Durdin, being a "dark" ENFJ imo.

Discuss.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I would have said the main character is an ISFJ with his alter-ego being ENTP.

Tyler Durdin doesn't seem to be F or J (even though he does lead a large group).
I always saw Fight Club as an ENTP alter-ego making an ISFJ go insane from his own boring life.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I would have said the main character is an ISFJ with his alter-ego being ENTP.

Tyler Durden doesn't seem to be F or J (even though he does lead a large group).
I always saw Fight Club as an ENTP alter-ego making an ISFJ go insane from his own boring life.

I have Tyler Durden (BP) moments when I'm on cocaine. But, then again, a lot of people do.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
So what's Marla's type? I see her as a Dorothy Parker kind of character, so INFJ/P?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
i would classify durden as an ESTP, looking at his demeanor and that he is personally involved with a lot of the details of the plot mechanics. take, for instance, how he gets the materials for his soap business.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i would classify durden as an ESTP, looking at his demeanor and that he is personally involved with a lot of the details of the plot mechanics. take, for instance, how he gets the materials for his soap business.

ah k, very good point there. And the general character is very P-like, living in some slum with everything rigged but somehow it all works.

I'm definitely leaning more towards an IFJ/ETP (main char/Tyler Durden) mix here then. The whole use of Se and Fe in the characters threw me off, between that and the proactive creation of all the different fight clubs around the nation there seemed to be a lot of Fe involved, hence my idea that Tyler was ENFJ.

redacted

durden seems like a blatant ENTJ. i don't see anything P-like about him. he's obviously a Te dom...

i think of norton's character as an INFJ. (just re-read the book, though, so it might be slightly different)

marla is INFP

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I would have said he was an P because of his risk-taking nature.
I don't know a lot of ENTJ's but the ones I know are arrogant, overbearing, and witty but cautious and unwilling to take physical risks.

I would have said INFP or ISFP for Marla- definitely an Fi dom.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love the movie Fight Club. I like the message it sends.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Has anyone read the book?

I did, yeah. I think the book characters are portrayed very similarly to the movie characters, but I did watch the movie first, so that may have colored my view.

That said, I would say that Durden = ENTJ, the main character = ISFJ, and Marla = ISTP.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
You know, I'm not sure. I read part of the personal bit which he wrote at the end, and to me, he sounded like a real douchebag. ESTP, maybe?
Huh?

"I read part of the personal bit which he wrote at the end, and to me, he sounded like a real douchebag"

I don't get what you mean by that.

How many books of his have you read?

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Huh?

"I read part of the personal bit which he wrote at the end, and to me, he sounded like a real douchebag"

I don't get what you mean by that.

How many books of his have you read?

Maybe we have different versions of the book. On mine, there was this section at the end which he wrote that was, I think (I read it a while ago) about how the book was developed over time. I can't remember exactly why I disliked it, and I seem to have lost the book, so I can't go back to reread.

And Fight Club is the only book I've read of his.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
The message of fight club: don't bother actually making a difference by blowing the whistle on your boss, just fantacize about being a one dimensional macho man and dedicate your life to vandalism.

OR

Fighting is thereputic, because it makes the narrator stop making fun of your man-boobs

OR

Materialistic apathy is a result of not being true to your gender role. If only Jack was jerking off in the bathroom instead of reading that stupid Ikea catalog, his life would automatically be better.

OR

Stop being a slave to the man and embrace your freedom to do what Tyler Durden says.

Yeah, I didn't think much of fight club.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The message of fight club: don't bother actually making a difference by blowing the whistle on your boss, just fantacize about being a one dimensional macho man and dedicate your life to vandalism.

OR

Fighting is thereputic, because it makes the narrator stop making fun of your man-boobs

OR

Materialistic apathy is a result of not being true to your gender role. If only Jack was jerking off in the bathroom instead of reading that stupid Ikea catalog, his life would automatically be better.

OR

Stop being a slave to the man and embrace your freedom to do what Tyler Durden says.

Yeah, I didn't think much of fight club.

I think you have to really go out of your way to read some of those messages into the movie/book.

Then again, in the time you've been on this forum, I've found you to be a master of getting righteously offended by everything.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think you have to really go out of your way to read some of those messages into the movie/book.

Then again, in the time you've been on this forum, I've found you to be a master of getting righteously offended by everything.

rightiously offended my ass. I've always had that opinion. It's just an opinion, honestly, you must read at least one of those things I mentioned. So what do you think the messages in the movie were? (a much more interesting discussion). The thing is, I'm getting fairly stupid messages from the movie, and thinking "I've heard better stuff from bums"- and it's not like I get that impression on purpose or anything. What I mentioned is what the movie seems to be saying. If the movie has some other, hidden message, that's much less moronic, I would love to have to hear about it.

It's just my way of saying "blah" to the main topic. Tyler Durder, is he an extraverted thinking type or an extraverted sensing type? Whoop dee doo anyway, it's a stupid movie.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've seen the movie lots and read the book once. I remember them being quite similar, the main difference in my mind being that I got a greater sense of the narrator and Tyler having a connection (as friends) and that Tyler originally made the soap from Marla's mom's saved-liposuctioned-butt-fat stash for future lip injections for Marla. What I like best is that I think it captures well a feeling of unrest and destructive tendency in lonely people.

Narrator: IStJ
Tyler-persona: ESTP (with a little ENTP thrown in). I wouldn't say ENTJ just because his general plans were all of the create-chaos variety and seemed rather spontaneous rather than ... planned.
Marla: INFP