• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stephen King

• Thread starter Infinite Bubble
  • Start date
I

Infinite Bubble

It would be nice to know his type. INTP? INxJ perhaps?

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTP, strong ni use. 6w5 sp/so I think for enneagram.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJ was my guess.
He's all about the mindfuck.

W

WALMART

I've thought ISTP as well. He modeled Roland off of how he perceived himself, I presume King isn't so bad ass though.

ISTP 6w5 sx/sp.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My vote is for the creepy INTP. And I don't really like his writing either.

KDude

I've thought ISTP as well. He modeled Roland off of how he perceived himself, I presume King isn't so bad ass though.

ISTP 6w5 sx/sp.

Se is more reflective on actions and objects. Not on an internal self image. I only have a passing familiarity with the Dark Tower series, but if he isn't "doing" anything like that character, then I don't think it says much about him. Even when the Se types turn towards self-image, it's more ground-up, trying different hats on first, and coming to a realization of what works (whether that's in honing a skillset and "finding yourself" in it, or trying on clothes and looking in the mirror, etc.. It's all about experimentation and actions leading to an actualization. Not vice versa).

Not trying to preach to the choir btw. Just my 2c.

W

WALMART

Se is more reflective on actions and objects. Not on an internal self image. I only have a passing familiarity with the Dark Tower series, but if he isn't "doing" anything like that character, then I don't think it says much about him. Even when the Se types turn towards self-image, it's more ground-up, trying different hats on first, and coming to a realization of what works (whether that's in honing a skillset and "finding yourself" in it, or trying on clothes and looking in the mirror, etc.. It's all about experimentation and actions leading to an actualization. Not vice versa).

What about Ni in a developed user, as was mentioned?

To give this a flavor of physical tangibility, your blog is "The Man With No Blog", derived from the character that King also most identifies with, Blondie, who Roland is actually truly based off of.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Great post. I don't know where anyone is pulling ISTP from.

You guys need to branch out a little. Extroverts write books too, you know.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Dammit, Jennifer! No they don't! :thelook:

Only deep and mysterious people who just can't be understood by the average, pedestrian, run of the mill person on the street can write books... don't change the stereotypes! :nono:

*runs screaming and naked around the house*

W

WALMART

Do you have any evidence for anything contrary to what has been presented? I did a fair enough job of associating everything together to tie in his certain ISTP-ness.

I really dislike that this forum has gotten away from the true nature of typology: polarizing the masses.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dammit, Jennifer! No they don't! :thelook:

Only deep and mysterious people who just can't be understood by the average, pedestrian, run of the mill person on the street can write books... don't change the stereotypes! :nono:

*runs screaming and naked around the house*

Oh hell. Sorry, Whatever... I forgot. I guess I'll back off.

KDude

What about Ni in a developed user, as was mentioned?

To give this a flavor of physical tangibility, your blog is "The Man With No Blog", derived from the character that King also most identifies with, Blondie, who Roland is actually truly based off of.

I refuse to re-read that to make it coherent, hopefully you catch what I'm getting at.

Haha.. I just named it that because I wasn't keen on blogging at first, but ended up making one anyways. The title is a lame attempt at irony. I don't identify with Eastwood much.

I think developed Ni in SPs is overstated. I'm not inclined to type people by one set of functions, and then group them somewhere else that doesn't account for those functions much. One exception when weaker functions really stand out is when the people are psychotic or high, but I don't think Stephen King qualifies there. He's a strange man, I guess, but fairly consistent about it.. he's not flucuating between different sides of himself.

W

WALMART

Haha.. I just named it that because I wasn't keen on blogging at first, but ended up making one anyways. The title is a lame attempt at irony. I don't identify with Eastwood much.

I think developed Ni in SPs is overstated. I'm not inclined to type people by one set of functions, and then group them somewhere else that doesn't account for those functions much. One exception when weaker functions really stand out is when the people are psychotic or high, but I don't think Stephen King qualifies there. He's a strange man, I guess, but fairly consistent about it.. he's not flucuating between different sides of himself.

His self-projection in the novel "The Shining" would paint a different story, this time through the character Jack Torrance. He has claimed several times he relied on alcohol and other recreational drugs (mostly alcohol) during his career to write what he did.

So what else could there be, if not ISTP? ESFJ?

KDude

His self-projection in the novel "The Shining" would paint a different story, this time through the character Jack Torrance. He has claimed several times he relied on alcohol and other recreational drugs (mostly alcohol) during his career to write what he did.

So what else could there be, if not ISTP? ESFJ?

Tbh, I don't know a whole lot about him. I just posted to reply to your post about his self-image (as well as the stuff about strong Ni.. which is merely a theoretical disagreement on my part. I stick with standard Myers/MBTI theory, in that case).

If I was to type him just based on that, then what he says is textbook Ni.

Introverted iNtuiting: Foreseeing implications and likely effects without external data; realizing "what will be"; conceptualizing new ways of seeing things; envisioning transformations; getting an image of profound meaning or far-reaching symbols. Envisioning yourself in an outfit or maybe envisioning yourself being a certain way.

As opposed to Se..

Extraverted Sensing: Experiencing the immediate context; taking action in the physical world; noticing changes and opportunities for action; accumulating experiences; scanning for visible reactions and relevant data; recognizing "what is." Noticing what was available, trying on different items, and seeing how they look.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
King has actually written a great deal about his own writing technique. He's also a member of the school of thought that he is exploring a preexisting story (digging it out) rather than creating it himself. At least in regards to his writing, that's a P style approach.

W

WALMART

Tbh, I don't know a whole lot about him. I just posted to reply to your post about his self-image (as well as the stuff about strong Ni.. which is merely a theoretical disagreement on my part. I stick with standard Myers/MBTI theory, in that case).

If I was to type him just based on that, what he says is textbook Ni.

Introverted iNtuiting: Foreseeing implications and likely effects without external data; realizing "what will be"; conceptualizing new ways of seeing things; envisioning transformations; getting an image of profound meaning or far-reaching symbols. Envisioning yourself in an outfit or maybe envisioning yourself being a certain way.

As opposed to Se..

Extraverted Sensing: Experiencing the immediate context; taking action in the physical world; noticing changes and opportunities for action; accumulating experiences; scanning for visible reactions and relevant data; recognizing "what is." Noticing what was available, trying on different items, and seeing how they look.

Well I can't very well have an informed debate with someone who admittedly knows nothing about him, now can I?

So how do you call it? INFJ? INTJ?

KDude

Well I can't very well have an informed debate with someone who admittedly knows nothing about him, now can I?

So how do you call it? INFJ? INTJ?

It's not so much about Stephen King as I am debating this idea that ISTPs would be so inward seeking for a sense of "self", and actually have nothing to attached to that image, in regards to their skills or actions. That's all. Everything I've done (not to say I've done much) was attached to experimenting. If I wanted to be a skateboarder, I put my work in. Right now, I kind of want to learn blacksmithing - and the only thing barring me is money and space. I will put my hands to it when I get a chance. Then I'll call myself a blacksmith. Even when I did really stupid shit (like running with gangs when I was younger), I didn't set out to have an image of it exactly. I just fell in it for awhile, had some fun, and suddenly I was a gangster.

I have moments of envisioning myself a certain way, but it's flash in the pan. I think SPs daydream a bit, start imagining themselves as rockstars or something one day.. but it's not highly developed. Or something they take seriously, until they really get involved in making something happen.

That's what I'm debating.

W

WALMART

It's not so much about Stephen King as I am debating this idea that ISTPs would be so inward seeking for a sense of "self", and actually have nothing to attached to that image, in regards to their skills or actions. That's all. Everything I've done (not to say I've done much) was attached to experimenting. If I wanted to be a skateboarder, I put my work in. Right now, I kind of want to learn blacksmithing - and the only thing barring me is money and space. I will put my hands to it when I get a chance. Then I'll call myself a blacksmith. Even when I did really stupid shit (like running with gangs when I was younger), I didn't set out to have an image of it exactly. I just fell in it for awhile, had some fun, and suddenly I was a gangster.

I have moments of envisioning myself a certain way, but it's flash in the pan. I think SPs daydream a bit, start imagining themselves as rockstars or something one day.. but it's not highly developed. Or something they take seriously, until they really get involved in making something happen.

That's what I'm debating.

I see.

Well, I will reference more of what I know of King - he considers his writing style a "Flexible Bullet". Here's an excerpt from a blog of mine:

"Stephen King writes of a Flexible Bullet - I've always envisioned it as the mind's eye careening through your thoughts, what it touches on exploding into imagery and story-potential. I feel when he writes he is entranced, his mind a conjuring whirlpool of content that is pulled to the forefront as the gravitatious orb of the mind passes over it all. That is the talent I wish to develop - not this mindless analytic drivel of expounding home a certain syntax."

When he writes, he goes into a self-described 'trance'. He has no clue what is going to happen to the characters after five minutes of writing has passed; he has no forethought beyond the scene is currently working on. He told an old lady, who's dying wish was to know the end of "The Dark Tower", that there was no way he could know what was going to happen to all the characters because he hasn't felt the story's end yet.

If this isn't Se (MAYBE Ne), I don't know what is.

KDude

That's pretty trippy. ^

Although I'm a "perceiver", I'm weary of trances and freeflowing perceptual states myself. I don't know what that says about my type. I tend to exercise a lot of control, dilligence, self-correction, etc.. It's not something anyone would notice from the outside though (I think).