• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I think Dr. Manhattan was INFJ not INTP

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Ok so it appears as if everyone thinks that Dr. Manhattan from "The Watchmen" was an INTP. However, I think that he was an INFJ with strong Ti. Why?

1. The way he spoke was very kryptic, and it sounded very similar to the kyptic language that many Ni users (especially INFJ types) use.
2. The way that Ozymandias controlled him in the end was to manipulate him through his feelings, and his caring nature? Really what Ti dom can be easily manipulated through emotions.
3. I saw no Ne in the guy at all.
4. He was too pleasant to be an INTP.

What do you think? Do you folks still think that Dr. Manhattan was INTP?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
View attachment 8283

Ok I don't know anything about a Dr. Manhattan though I know Yoda is commonly perceived as INTP though he could be INFJ so I guess the Ti could look alike in both types but idk.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
View attachment 8283

Ok I don't know anything about a Dr. Manhattan though I know Yoda is commonly perceived as INTP though he could be INFJ so I guess the Ti could look alike in both types but idk.

Dr. Manhattan used Ni not Ne. I have no idea what Yoda was. They changed his types throughout the movies. He seemed like an INTP in "The Empire Strikes Back" and more like an INFJ in the "Clone Wars" movies.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Too passive to be INFJ. I'd say, if he was another type, it's probably ISFJ. But I still think INTP is the closest guess. Both are behind the scenes types, though.

Sometimes I feel that there's this perception on these forums that INTPs come off "harder" than they do IRL.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Too passive to be INFJ. I'd say, if he was another type, it's probably ISFJ. But I still think INTP is the closest guess. Both are behind the scenes types, though.

Sometimes I feel that there's this perception on these forums that INTPs come off "harder" than they do IRL.

Dr. Manhattan as a sensor? HELL NO! That guy was intuitive as hell. There is no way that guy was a sensor, much less a sensing dom.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Explain your reasoning.

Like I said, he's clearly a BtS interaction style. My first guess is INTP because he's passive and detached. My second guess would be ISFJ because they're the most like an INTP out of the BtS group.

I don't go by "he seems, like, really intuitive and stuff man, because he's talking all this intuitive stuff, yaknow?" That's too vague.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Like I said, he's clearly a BtS interaction style. My first guess is INTP because he's passive and detached. My second guess would be ISFJ because they're the most like an INTP out of the BtS group.

Are you kidding me? Everything about that guy screams intuitive: his constant use of analogies, the fact that he's a physicist, and the fact that he always seems like his head is WAY up in the clouds.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

Are you kidding me? Everything about that guy screams intuitive: his constant use of analogies, the fact that he's a physicist, and the fact that he always seems like his head is WAY up in the clouds.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

This sounds like a TiNi loop rather than a real intuitive.:nono:

Nah I'm just playing but seriously who knows!?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5

His detached, "dreamy" demeanor contributed to my thinking he was probably INTP. The use of analogies/physicist thing is unreliable (and, IMO, stupid), so I dismiss those as typologically relevant factors. I do think he's intuitive, but only because I think he's closest to the overall INTP personality, which is an intuitive type. Not because I thought, "oh, he must be N, so let me see which N type he's most like."

That's why, if I were to guess at a second closest type, I go by interaction style and overall personality. He's clearly BtS, so that means he's either INTP, ISFJ, INFP, or ISFP. Since he's not demonstrably attached enough to be one of the IxFPs, his second closest type is ISFJ. I don't think it's accurate to just pick out N and then guess around at all of the N types willy nilly.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
His detached, "dreamy" demeanor contributed to my thinking he was probably INTP. The use of analogies/physicist thing is unreliable (and, IMO, stupid), so I dismiss those as typologically relevant factors. I do think he's intuitive, but only because I think he's closest to the overall INTP personality, which is an intuitive type. Not because I thought, "oh, he must be N, so let me see which N type he's most like."

That's why, if I were to guess at a second closest type, I go by interaction style and overall personality. He's clearly BtS, so that means he's either INTP, ISFJ, INFP, or ISFP. Since he's not demonstrably attached enough to be one of the IxFPs, his second closest type is ISFJ. I don't think it's accurate to just pick out N and then guess around at all of the N types willy nilly.

That's ridiculous, what Si dom uses analogies and "kryptic language" in the way that Dr. Manhattan did?

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's ridiculous, what Si dom uses analogies and "kryptic language" in the way that Dr. Manhattan did?

My ISFJ/ISFP friend for one. iNtuitives aren't the only ones interested in things like analogies and the 'big picture' - that just shows someone with an imagination and a decent level of intelligence. There are a lot of stereotypes about that state iNtuitives must be all mysterious and thoughtful all the time, but if you look at lots of them, they aren't. People are a big mix of the cognitive functions - we use all of them, but at different levels.

To be honest, Manhatten came across as someone suffering from schizoid personality disorder, rather than a particular type.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
The heck are you on about.

I don't recall him using 'cryptic language'. He's basically a frickin demigod with a higher state of being and awareness. What did you expect??

Also you think that because he decided to go along and help prevent a nuclear disaster that he was 'emotionally manipulated'? That's absurd. Again, demigod.

You may as well say he's not an INTP because he didn't use his powers to destroy earth himself. It's absurd.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
My ISFJ/ISFP friend for one. iNtuitives aren't the only ones interested in things like analogies and the 'big picture' - that just shows someone with an imagination and a decent level of intelligence. There are a lot of stereotypes about that state iNtuitives must be all mysterious and thoughtful all the time, but if you look at lots of them, they aren't. People are a big mix of the cognitive functions - we use all of them, but at different levels.

To be honest, Manhatten came across as someone suffering from schizoid personality disorder, rather than a particular type.

I could imagine an ISFP with strong Ni using kryptic language, because of tertiary Ni, but not an ISFJ.

The heck are you on about.

I don't recall him using 'cryptic language'. He's basically a frickin demigod with a higher state of being and awareness. What did you expect??

Also you think that because he decided to go along and help prevent a nuclear disaster that he was 'emotionally manipulated'? That's absurd. Again, demigod.

You may as well say he's not an INTP because he didn't use his powers to destroy earth himself. It's absurd.

Did you even watch the movie? The guy used kryptic language throughout the whole movie! Were we even watching the same movie?