• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

John McClane (Die Hard)

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Anybody wanna take a crack at this?
TVTropes has him tagged as an ENTP (which I disagree with--he clearly uses Se over Ne).

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
TVTropes has him tagged as an ENTP (which I disagree with--he clearly uses Se over Ne).
I agree with you - ESTP. I'm thinking he's a 6w7.

BTW I like your user name. I just watched Unforgiven again the other day. :)

Random question: you don't play Team Fortress 2 do you?

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Thank you for the compliment. And I have never played Team Fortress 2.
And what's with the bacon?

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

TV Tropes types people? Was this on the forum or something?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTP or ESTP. 7w8 Sp/Sx.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those are horrible.

I guess I should be pleased to see so many INTPs listed as characters in popular books and movies .... but in the list I saw, at least 2/3's were wrong.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those are horrible.

I guess I should be pleased to see so many INTPs listed as characters in popular books and movies .... but in the list I saw, at least 2/3's were wrong.

The only two who are true in the INTP list are George Costanza and Sherlock Holmes, the rest I either don't know them or they are wrong.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The only two who are true in the INTP list are George Costanza and Sherlock Holmes, the rest I either don't know them or they are wrong.

I certainly don't agree with you about Costanza either, that's just a ridiculous read. I can't imagine a more S/concrete-focused character. He's a type 6 counterphobic, most likely.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He is pretty clearly ISTP, like most of Bruce Willis's other movie roles.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I certainly don't agree with you about Costanza either, that's just a ridiculous read. I can't imagine a more S/concrete-focused character. He's a type 6 counterphobic, most likely.

He's a counterphobic 6, yes, but he is definetly not a N. He is the typical intelectually masturbating, clumsy and amoral INTP.

R

Riva

He is an xstp it hurts. more I than e I bet.

Yes he could be typed as an estp too. But i'm quite certain he is istp over estp. From what I have noticed (i notice great many things) some istps could be easily confused to be estps. If i'm not mistaken istps with well developed fe (not se) are the ones who often get confused as estps. But these extroverted istps are quite different from estps. They still have the calm exterior combined with a jovial/play-the-fool exterior. This is probably due to the agreeable nature of fe. But at any moment they could retract to their istp introverted nature. Even so/sx istps could be confused to be estps and sometimes even as esfps.

I could be shooting my leg by saying this; wayne risby from the mentalist is another example for an extroverted istp. Most people would probably type him as an esfp.

Is it only me or has anyone else also noticed that there are an overwhelming amount of istps cast as heroes? Especially in animes.

Last edited:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTP 7w8 Sx/Sp

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Is it only me or has anyone else also noticed that there are an overwhelming amount of istps cast as heroes? Especially in animes.

I've said it before: ISTPs are really only interesting when we're doing something or have some chaos thrown our way. Otherwise, we're sitting in a corner deducing problems, eating a lot of unhealthy food, beating the high score on Call of Duty, lifting weights, jogging, riding our motorcycles, fixing our motorcycles, picking up chicks with our motorcycles, etc. Not exactly engaging thematic material.

I mean...would you watch an ISTP protagonist when there ISN'T any action going on? Perhaps if you were attempting to cure a bout of insomnia.

Oh, and our "anti-hero" tendencies manage to give us refreshing layers and depth (?). This is among the reasons the archetype emerged during the 50s/60s/70s when Mainstream American culture splintered and "rebellion" became cool. McQueen, Eastwood, Bronson, Dean, Wolverine, Han Solo, Boba Fett--the list goes on. Very much men of their time.

Back on topic--Mr. McClane is definitely an xSTP...the Se is strong with this one. Whether introverted or extroverted--I'm leaning extrovert.