• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" characters

nightwatcher

MBTI Type
INXJ
Roland Deschain/the Gunslinger ISTP
Jake Chambers INFJ
Eddie Dean ENTP
Susannah INFP (Detta ENTP + Odetta ENFJ)
Oy ISFJ
Father Callahan INFJ
Cuthbert Allgood ENTP
Alain Johns INFP
Walter o’ Dim ENTP
The Crimson King ENTP
Susan Delgado INFP
Cort ISTJ
Sheemie ISFP
Rhea INTJ
Jonas ENTP
Enrico Balazar ENTJ

“Go then. There are other worlds than these.”

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm pretty sure Detta's type is simply: INSANE. When she isn't screaming out negative fantasies at men out of paranoia and fear, she's obsessively reliving the memory of breaking that blue-laced plate and masturbating.

Somehow I doubt so many of the other characters are ENTPs...

W

WALMART

I think the NTP-ness comes out so much because of King's NTP-ness.

Roland Deschain... I've oft wondered if he's S or N. Are N's inherently assumed unskilled with their actions, is that where the perception comes from?

MBTI Type
Mann
I'm pretty sure Detta's type is simply: INSANE. When she isn't screaming out negative fantasies at men out of paranoia and fear, she's obsessively reliving the memory of breaking that blue-laced plate and masturbating.

Somehow I doubt so many of the other characters are ENTPs...

Agreed.

GranChi

MBTI Type
INFP
Here's my guess:
Roland: ENTJ (He's a determined leader, and I feel like he has to be an N, with all the mentions of his "intuition".)
Jake: INFP (He's sensitive and deep. Although I might just think that because I'm an INFP and I relate to Jake a lot.)
Eddie: ESTP (He has that gregarious personality, but seems more like a Thinker than a Feeler.)
Susannah: ISFJ (She's down-to-earth and sympathetic.)

soz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Roland is an ISTP for sure. He doesn't talk much until it's necessary, often relies either on his gut feelings or "ka". Obvious Se/Ni user. Also he is a TiFe user because he tends to let others making their own choices instead of controlling them.

Eddie is also a textbook ENTP with no doubt. Unlike Roland, he likes to make facetious commentantaries based on resemblances. By reading the books you'll be able to notice that he's very aware of possibilities and notices coincidences(Ne/Si). Also he tends to theorize and hates, when his questions that interest him someone doesn't answer (Ti). His Fe is expressed by caring about people he sympathizes like Susannah.

I guess Susannah is an ISFJ. Tends to remember about her past and therefore she loves to talk about it. Also she's quite down-to-earth. I saw a Tumblr post telling Susannah is ISTJ but I think she's a Fe/Ti user. She shows empathy to others like when Callahan told his story. And she doesn't seem to control others like ISTJ usually do. Odetta and Detta are quite hard to type. Odetta is very similar to Susannah but she seems to be less confident. I guess she's ISFJ too but less developed. Detta is obvious extraverted, seems to be a perceiver and a Ti user(although she might be also a Fi user due to her selfishness). I guess ExTP fits her best. I'm not sure if she's a Se or a Ne user. She seems to be really focused on the present and just wants to run away from Roland and Eddie, but while planning out the attack on Eddie she seemed to use Ne(or was it Ni? Was too good for an inferior function).

Jake was quite hard to type. I was stuck between INFP and INFJ. I thought he was INFP because he tends to make his decisions based on what's right and what's wrong. Also he tends to think like a Ne user(because Stephen King is a Ne user). But then I found out that he desires to find out where he belongs to. Also he takes signs very seriously. Looks more Ni to me than Fi(they are hard to distinguish). Jake seems to consider the world as the whole. Not like a Ne user, who tries to connect puzzle pieces but like a Ni user who has already connected all the pieces and views the whole picture. Rarely, you can also notice him rely on his instincts like Roland. The only difference between Roland and Jake is how down-to-earth they are. While Roland is very down-to-earth, Jake oftens thinks beyond the present.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(I’m not factoring in the film. I hear it was garbage. This is just for the books)
Bear in mind: I’m only on Book 3, The Waste Lands

Tentative Typing:

Roland Deschain - ISTP

Eddie Dean - ENTP

Henry Dean - ESTP (also...regardless of type... just an asshole. Gotta wonder if SK knew an asshole named Henry, IRL. Between this asshole Henry... Henry Bowers... I see an emergent asshole-pattern, ha)

Susannah Dean - IxFx

Jake Chambers - INFx (kids are always hard to type beyond I/E, imo, but he’s not real, so, a bit more consistent & fleshed out than an actual human-in-progress... leaning mostly toward INFJ).

Elmer Chambers - ESTJ

Cort: ISTJ

The Man in Black - probably ENTP edgelord

Cuthbert: ExTP

Lobstrosities: AAH! (seriously...fuck those things)

Jack Mort: DEAD (actually, he’s difficult to type for me, due to the whole psychopathy thing. Same reason I didn’t type Odetta/Detta. Fragmented people are less readily consistent. I may read over his bit again, later. Doesn’t seem like he’s gonna be reappearing in the story)

(Will add/elaborate &/or amend as I go)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
(I’m not factoring in the film. I hear it was garbage. This is just for the books)
It absolutely was the most misguided shitbird adaptation of this material that one could possibly imagine.
Like, who the hell thought that treatment would satisfy anyone?

Can't wait until you try to type Mordred, bwa ha ha

Galizia

MBTI Type
int
Enneagram
Six
Roland is an ISTP for sure. He doesn't talk much until it's necessary, often relies either on his gut feelings or "ka". Obvious Se/Ni user. Also he is a TiFe user because he tends to let others making their own choices instead of controlling them.

Eddie is also a textbook ENTP with no doubt. Unlike Roland, he likes to make facetious commentantaries based on resemblances. By reading the books you'll be able to notice that he's very aware of possibilities and notices coincidences(Ne/Si). Also he tends to theorize and hates, when his questions that interest him someone doesn't answer (Ti). His Fe is expressed by caring about people he sympathizes like Susannah.

I guess Susannah is an ISFJ. Tends to remember about her past and therefore she loves to talk about it. Also she's quite down-to-earth. I saw a Tumblr post telling Susannah is ISTJ but I think she's a Fe/Ti user. She shows empathy to others like when Callahan told his story. And she doesn't seem to control others like ISTJ usually do. Odetta and Detta are quite hard to type. Odetta is very similar to Susannah but she seems to be less confident. I guess she's ISFJ too but less developed. Detta is obvious extraverted, seems to be a perceiver and a Ti user(although she might be also a Fi user due to her selfishness). I guess ExTP fits her best. I'm not sure if she's a Se or a Ne user. She seems to be really focused on the present and just wants to run away from Roland and Eddie, but while planning out the attack on Eddie she seemed to use Ne(or was it Ni? Was too good for an inferior function).

Jake was quite hard to type. I was stuck between INFP and INFJ. I thought he was INFP because he tends to make his decisions based on what's right and what's wrong. Also he tends to think like a Ne user(because Stephen King is a Ne user). But then I found out that he desires to find out where he belongs to. Also he takes signs very seriously. Looks more Ni to me than Fi(they are hard to distinguish). Jake seems to consider the world as the whole. Not like a Ne user, who tries to connect puzzle pieces but like a Ni user who has already connected all the pieces and views the whole picture. I think that a student's success may not be dependent on their financial situation. I frequently struggle with the learning process myself. in particular with challenging assignments. And the essay writing nursing has been really helpful to me. Additionally, I must prepare qualitatively, but I am unable to do it on my own. Rarely, you can also notice him rely on his instincts like Roland. The only difference between Roland and Jake is how down-to-earth they are. While Roland is very down-to-earth, Jake oftens thinks beyond the present.
For me, it is Eddie who is the most underrated character.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me, it is Eddie who is the most underrated character.
That's probably true. I consider him the "everyman" point of reference among the ka-tet.