• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mistyping Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Re: Darth; I've always thought he was INTJ? Operating outside what is decent.

I just don't see Darth as a good accountant. (ISTJ)

The more I think about it, the more rule oriented he is. You die if you break a rule.

His persona is sure different than as ENFP Anakin?

Or...who actually liked Star Wars 1-3? I'd propose that part of the reason those movies stunk is that Anakin is one of the most inconsistent characters ever invented. In movie 1 he's building genius robots and winning pod races which could indicate a preference for Sensing. And, always ready for a chat. Seems Extraverted. There's no sign of this mechanical genius by the 2nd movie and in fact no redeeming part of his character. He uses neither T or F to think through his relationship with Queen Amadala and in movie 3...where did he think escape would get them?

How about writing him off as someone who was damaged in childhood and had no chance to develop the strengths of whatever his personality might have become? He never seems to muster the maturity of a 10-year-old (not to insult any 10-year-olds you know) and is no better as Darth, simply doing the Emperor's wishes even after that path has destroyed his life, universe and anything he held dear.

Kanerou

MBTI Type
_NFP
Leia is well-versed in weapons, strategic warfare, and politics. While any motivated princess who will one day rule might take to these as a matter of course, they're still the realm of T. She also seems to act logically. I have to vote ENTJ over ESTJ because at that age, many ESTJs are still more comfortable operating within rule boundaries as opposed to traveling the universe to find her "only hope."

Han and E--remember it's about energy, not just about being a party animal. Han seems to be energized by action and interaction, and is constantly with Chewbacca if no one else on the Millennium Falcon. Blasting without thinking isn't necessarily the ISTP way...they're more likely to recognize that noise will alert more storm troopers and do something more subtle. Han just doesn't sit still. ISTPs often do...

I can see Han being E. As far as Leia goes, why do those things make her T? I thought the point of the T/F dichotomy was which one uses to make judgments.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
I agree that Harry is ISFP. If he were INFP, he'd likely be more academically/theoretically oriented when it came to his studies, and less good at Quidditch (most star athletes are S).

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I can see Han being E. As far as Leia goes, why do those things make her T? I thought the point of the T/F dichotomy was which one uses to make judgments.

T and F definitely describe decision modes; planning defense of the rebel base and attacks on the Death Star all involve decisions that require logic and strategy that usually fall within T natural processes rather than F. Politics...you could poll F's and see how they wish politics would work rather, whether you're talking sororities or businesses or government...

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
ESPs tend to write fiction that they dregde up from the recesses of their psyche which tends to look Ni, while INJs tend to write incredibly Se fiction, etc.

Woah! I think that's true! It's true for me, anyway... that would be really interesting to look closely at...

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Harry Potter, I know for sure, is an INTP.

This is because--

He's definitely Introverted, that's a given..

He's an N because he often contemplates about things he's unsure of...fitting pieces of the puzzle together are easy for him..and intuitively knowing he must be the one to destroy Lord Voldemort.

He's by far a T..remember in the 6th book how he had a crush on Ginny..is he was an F, he would have probably been with her before he actually did get with her...he looked at the logics: she was Ron's sister, and it was right for him to keep his ground.

and the P is also a given..

so there's my theory, like it or hate it..I'm not saying it's right.

but as for Luke skywalker, I'm not too sure.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISFPs Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter are sometimes mistyped as INFPs, possibly in part because it’s assumed that a character with magical powers or strong in the Force must be an N. But the S/N difference isn’t about one possessing supernatural powers the other lacks. It’s about viewpoint and what kind of information is the main focus: the pieces or the whole, the present or the future, reality or imagination, theory or fact, etc. In Luke’s own words (as I recall from one of the New Jedi Order novels), he was never much good at seeing the big picture. There are likewise numerous examples which show Harry Potter being more S than N.
agreed

Also compare each to their main adversaries. The Emperor and Voldemort are both INTJ visionary masterminds, big picture/future planners, while Luke and Harry are SP responders. For that matter, so is the Emperor’s right hand enforcer: ISTP Darth Vader, who is sometimes mistyped as an ENTJ (perhaps you could make a case that he became more ENTJ when he became Vader, but Anakin Skywalker was likely an ISTP and Vader is nothing like the long range future planner/Empire builder that his master was).
Darth Vader is an Fi user, not an ISTP

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Harry Potter, I know for sure, is an INTP.

Strongly disagree

This is because--

He's definitely Introverted, that's a given..

Yes

He's an N because he often contemplates about things he's unsure of...fitting pieces of the puzzle together are easy for him..and intuitively knowing he must be the one to destroy Lord Voldemort.

That alone does not make him an N. In fact, his having to see and touch and feel for himself in order to believe and understand and his strong talent for Quiddich point to Se (the intuition you mention might be attributed to tertiary Ni coupled with Fi.

He's by far a T..remember in the 6th book how he had a crush on Ginny..is he was an F, he would have probably been with her before he actually did get with her...he looked at the logics: she was Ron's sister, and it was right for him to keep his ground.

Oh no, not at all. That was his Fi speaking. That is a question of values, not of logic, and more of his own code rather than something external. Whatever he is guided by, it sure isn't Ti and I would say it is Fi.

and the P is also a given..

Agreed.

-------> ISFP

Watching Episode III this winter it struck me (and not only me) how ISFP Luke Skywalker is. He too is driven by Fi and strongly supported by Se (has to see for himself and be out there and has an urge to experience things first hand and "live").

Both characters also give off a slightly similar vibe to my ISFP sister :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Strongly disagree
Yes

That alone does not make him an N. In fact, his having to see and touch and feel for himself in order to believe and understand and his strong talent for Quiddich point to Se (the intuition you mention might be attributed to tertiary Ni coupled with Fi.

Oh no, not at all. That was his Fi speaking. That is a question of values, not of logic, and more of his own code rather than something external. Whatever he is guided by, it sure isn't Ti and I would say it is Fi.

Agreed.

-------> ISFP

Watching Episode III this winter it struck me (and not only me) how ISFP Luke Skywalker is. He too is driven by Fi and strongly supported by Se (has to see for himself and be out there and has an urge to experience things first hand and "live").

Both characters also give off a slightly similar vibe to my ISFP sister :D

I disagree on Luke (he still seems clearly N to me -- i mean, can you imagine an N N'ing out on Tatooine? His entire existence HAS to develop his S side, but he's "always dreaming of the stars" and epic quests, etc.).

However, I agree with you on Harry. ISFP is probably the best read. It's funny to see him get outraged when his principles are violated, although otherwise he's pretty steady.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I disagree on Luke (he still seems clearly N to me -- i mean, can you imagine an N N'ing out on Tatooine? His entire existence HAS to develop his S side, but he's "always dreaming of the stars" and epic quests, etc.).

To quote Yoda about Luke: "All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things..."

Which sounds like an N not finding enough to engage with in the present and living in the future via daydreams. I do think Luke as ISFP is at least arguable, though... ISFPs have a similar restlessness, but not always with the same future orientation.

However, I agree with you on Harry. ISFP is probably the best read. It's funny to see him get outraged when his principles are violated, although otherwise he's pretty steady.

I don't see Harry as INFP at all. I agree with ISFP.

Luke is just very YNe.

So YNe, especially in Episode IV: "“But I wanted to go to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!" which translates roughly as "Whine whine whine whine WHINE whine!!!"

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Harry is a 1w9 Sx/Sp.
Luke is a 9w1 Sx/Sp.

They could be both INFP

However, Harry P, seems more grounded and practical, with a limited vision, sounds S. Or maybe it's just the tertiary Si.
Luke may be more visionary and big picture oriented, more N.

I didn't read or watch something of Harry P since almost ten years, so i don't remember enough to say.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Harry is a 1w9 Sx/Sp.
Luke is a 9w1 Sx/Sp.

They could be both INFP

However, Harry P, seems more grounded and practical, with a limited vision, sounds S. Or maybe it's just the tertiary Si.
Luke may be more visionary and big picture oriented, more N.

I didn't read or watch something of Harry P since almost ten years, so i don't remember enough to say.

Luke is So/Sx.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So YNe, especially in Episode IV: "“But I wanted to go to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!" which translates roughly as "Whine whine whine whine WHINE whine!!!"

I think Luke's YNe-ness is the most obvious and dominant part of his character, and the function that he enjoys most using, at least early in the trilogy. Later, we see him become more tempered, as his gooFi-ness begins to get a hold and he starts idealizing his father in terms that sound almost insane. But at least that kind of diversity is far more endurable than his initial raw YNe-ness.

YNe-ness is also expressed in comments like:
- But Aunt Beru, I don't WANT to eat another helping of rehydrated brussel sprouts!
- Chewbacca cheats at 3D space chess all the time, and every time I complain, he threatens to pull off my arms!
- Ben, can you please stop using my toothbrush as a beard straightener?
- But these AREn'T the droids you're looking for. They aren't, they aren't, they AREN'T!!!! *stamps feet*

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know one thing they both have in common... MAGIC POWERS!!!

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sorry to get all irritatingly subjective but if Luke and Harry were INFPs I would have felt a strong degree of familiarity in their characters, and I didn't. They don't seem INFP at all to me - they so much more driven by the literal world and not by a inner world of perception - there are no real mental leaps (Ne) involved, just skilled responsiveness to the moment (Se). Yeah, Luke goes all zen in his Jedi training but to point this out as evidence that he is N is to say all Jedis must be N - besides, meditation techniques of clearing the mind and focusing the body are used by both Sensors and Intuitives.

I find the arguments for ISFP to be quite convincing.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
To quote Yoda about Luke: "All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things..."

Which sounds like an N not finding enough to engage with in the present and living in the future via daydreams. I do think Luke as ISFP is at least arguable, though... ISFPs have a similar restlessness, but not always with the same future orientation.
I think this is merely about being a restless Perceiver. A ISFP craving adventure would look to the future too if he were bored by his current situation.

Besides isn't the former pupil Yoda is talking about meant to be Anakin/Dark Vader? I think he is merely drawing comparisons between Luke and Anakin's restlessness. I looked the scene up and it's only at the beginning of when Luke and Yoda meet - where Luke is asking to be trained (ie. he doesn't know much about Luke beyond what he senses). And a few lines before, Yoda speaks more about patience.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Luke is So/Sx.

No. Yoda is 9w1 So/Sx.

[youtube=3A_uOaA3e_0]Star Wars: Yoda's Training and Wisdom[/youtube]

Luke don't have problems to withdrawn from the group to follow a personal quest. He's the intense seeker and wanderer, easily going to the dark. He's reckless, sometimes too much for his own good, and is dramatic in most of his actions and stance. He fight for a casue, but was originally reluctant about this and is insular by nature.

Yoda is fantastical and has a lot of thrills and is directly immmersed in the larger world. He used to be a social figure and withdrawn only for the interest of the social cause. He doen's have the Sx leanings to be too much single-minded and focused like Luke does, but he is a self-pres last, the way he lives on Dagobah and even on Curuscant shows that in doesn't give a fuck about confort and safety.

Luke is similar with Cyclops or James Dean. Yoda is simliar with the pope John Paul II.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. Yoda is 9w1 So/Sx.

Luke is not So last. he is service oriented, cares about fitting in, feels a sense of obligation toward the group and rarely if ever considers self preservation. on top of that, he is nothing like the 9w1 Sx/Sp videos I've seen. his focus is much more broad than the intense, narrowed in focus of an Sx/Sp. I think he very well could be, and probably is the same E-type as Yoda. Sx/Sp is more intense and less concerned with worldly affairs (Anakin, a real Sx/Sp, is a good example of this, even if Anakin is probably more so being 8w7 as opposed to 9w1)