• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

scully and mulder

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Scully: ISTJ.
Mulder: NTP.

Though, haven't seen the show in years.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
What I like about X-files is that it is easy for me to identify on the I and T fields...

Cameigons

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
4w3
Could Mulder be a 'J'... He is single minded like INTJs can get, but I think he's too 'chaotic' in his thinking process to be a J. I lean towards he being an, so to speak, 'unhealthy' INFP too, devoted to something very personal. I would say Scully is an SJ, as she hardly ever argues with Mulder on his level, she usually tries to bring him to the realms of tangible reality and facts.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
I can't see the NF a lot of people see in Mulder. Yes, he did become obsessed with his work because of his sister's obduction, but INTP's can be very sentimental and human too ;). He isn't searching for some mystical truth- he's trying to fully understand the truth that is obscured from him- something real that he just can't see or can't see yet. He is extremely autonomous and operates calmly in intense emergencies. Interpersonal thought is not at the forefront of his psyche. His "trust no one" code and ability to see through people who may be untrustworthy by analyzing the situation leads me to strongly believe that he is an INTP. Also, he appears to extrovert intuition.

Scully has a hard time entertaining the visions and hunches that Mulder's Ne produces. If she didn't have to work so close to him, she probably wouldn't entertain his hunches at all; they simply wouldn't occur to her. She is so comfortable with "just the facts" and a complete workhorse. Though she comes off as an NT in some ways, I am drawn to believe that she is an ISTJ rather than an INTJ for various reasons including her complete absence of taking interest in abstract thinking like someone else mentioned.

So, I am in agreement with the majority here in thinking that Mulder is an INTP and Scully an ISTJ.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
This one is classical indeed :D

Mulder: ENTP
Scully: INTJ

Sol_

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Actors' types:
Gillian Anderson ESTJ (Scully)
David Duchovny INFP (Mulder)

Jwill

MBTI Type
INTJ
No way is Scully an INTJ. She may be a scientist by profession, but (speaking as an INTJ myself) she would never take seven years to admit to "kind of" believing in the paranormal if she were an INTJ. No, I agree with most people on this board. She's definitely an ISTJ. She's committed to traditional values. She's extremely responsible. She's very judicious and organized. That's why Mulder pisses her off so much sometimes.

As for Mulder, he's an INFJ, usually. For a while, I thought he was an INFP, but he's not that self-loathing. Most people would agree that Mulder's an INXX. As for the F, I think that's rather obvious. Chris Carter and others have admitted that they created Mulder and Scully to be kind of the opposites of society's assumed gender roles. Mulder is emotional (at least to a degree), while Scully is logical. I mean, Mulder graduated in psychology and was a brilliant profiler at the FBI for a while. He's an F who can also be quite logical, but he's clearly an F. He reacts with much more emotion than Scully in the series, whether with anger, frustration, or guilt.

Anyway, INFJ really fits. INFJs dominant attribute is their intuition. Mulder is nicknamed "Spooky" for his wild, but uncannily accurate theories. He can read people very easily. INFJs aren't good with the little details, like paperwork, which is why Mulder needs Scully to help him legitimize his work all the time. INFJs also love working independently and stick to their ideals fiercely. That's definitely Mulder.

Of course, he has some P tendencies at times, but I think he is maybe about 5% more J. He knows where he's going and what he believes, and he usually isn't dissuaded from that. In the series, Mulder and Scully often have an "agree to disagree" attitude about their partnership. Mulder believes he's always right, and so does Scully. That's the whole dynamic of the show: two fairly decisive people who mostly stick to their guns about their beliefs (although I think Scully is often simply in denial...classic).

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Mulder INFP 5w4

Scully XNTJ 6w5, though I suppose XSTJ is a possibility and she is similar typewise to AD Skinner, who’s probably an ISTJ 6.5

Btw I disagree with typing Mulder as an INTJ or INFJ even though he’s clearly more P than J just because his intuitive functions seem dominent. This attempts to make him fit into a type based on the assumption that everyone uses the 8 Jungian functions in the exact order assigned to their four letter preferences by one theory, which not everyone does in real life. Plus you can argue that Mulder’s primary motivation, his relentless personal quest to uncover The Truth, is most associated with the Fi function.

As for INFP over INTP, consider that overall Mulder is guided more by subjective passion than objective reason.

Last edited:

prosperity

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
?
I've read he is an INFP - remember iNfps dont actually like displaying emotional so can come across cold. He definately an INXP

MissyMaron

MBTI Type
ENFP
It is Mulder's stubborn, near obsessive persistence that made me think J.

Doesn't take a J to have that. In the case that he's INFP (which I strongly believe he is), that "stubborn, near obsessive persistence" you talk about could be associated to Fi.

Boelthorn

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't think that Scully is ISTJ. ESTJ or ENTJ fits more. Being rational is Te.
Mulder seems INFP to me. "Truth" is a value he established for himself. Truth as in "something that supports my beliefs". Not as in actual facts.

Boelthorn

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Look at the scene where both meet. She might be socially an introvert, but she is a cognitive extrovert. She initiates contact, she steers the conversation. ISTJs tend to converse in a question and answer way. If have several ISTJ friends and while they all show this tendency, one is extrem. "How was your vacation?" "Fine". ANd that was it for her, the topic was closed.

487473million

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w4
Sense high Ne for Mulder, and his interests suggest INFP. Not sure of scully.

Mulder is definitely an INFP probably a 5. He's clearly driven by an inner code that values truth. He's also an INFP playing a high stakes game that forces him to focus and be driven. Something some may find they don't associate with the type.

Scully?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Watched the whole series and the new one as well.

Mulder: INFP
Scully: ISTJ

They're both clearl introverts that they share in common. Just opposite in everything else

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I see Mulder as an INTP or at least, xNTP 5w6 sp/sx. Into the strange, paranormal, diving into it. Thus why people think of him as "spooky."

I view Scully as an ISFJ 2w1. Yeah, seems kind of unpopular to type her as an F. Or at least, more or less 50-50 on that. Mulder being an N and her being as S make sense with their differing world views though. How Mulder likes to bounce ideas around, how he's opened to the paranormal while she's closed. Scully has good developed ti in the fact that she's very logical. She views the world through a lense of si and fe but has the ti holding it together.