• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Was Joan of Arc really an ENFP as opposed to INFP?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your argument is weak though. I myself was already in leadership positions by that age, so I think it's really about the individual. The whole point is that the ideal, the vision, can be such an overriding factor that it engages someone beyond all of their natural tendency or predisposition.:shrug:
you keep talking like being in leadership positions (good for you btw, seriously) and being assertive/willing to stand up for your strong ideals is even comparable to living a life of constant conflict, military action and a constant need to stay strong and responsive to the external world at all times. Joan of Arc was a lot more than just a strong leader who stood up for her ideals. that's the point I've been trying to make. she was probably a fucking ferocious adversary either as a commander, a political figurehead or even as a 19 year old, uneducated defendant of a crime without a lawyer who had to oppose several 40+ year old educated clergymen and the weight of the catholic church. sure, Joan of Arc's ideals were very INFP-ish, but if you look at what she actually did in the real world, her natural skill set of talents in many ways is the opposite of an INFP's.

*sigh*
You have missed the point, dear sir. Hearing God's voice, the vision, can be such an overriding factor that it engages someone beyond all of their natural tendency or predisposition.
no, madame, it doesn't. it does not magically turn an INFP into an extroverted, aggressive, force of nature (only Te can do that lol and that doesn't generally happen until the INFP is in their 40s-60s, not a 17).

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
you keep talking like being in leadership positions (good for you btw, seriously) and being assertive/willing to stand up for your strong ideals is even comparable to living a life of constant conflict, military action and a constant need to stay strong and responsive to the external world at all times. Joan of Arc was a lot more than just a strong leader who stood up for her ideals. that's the point I've been trying to make. she was probably a fucking ferocious adversary either as a commander, a political figurehead or even as a 19 year old, uneducated defendant of a crime without a lawyer who had to oppose several 40+ year old educated clergymen and the weight of the catholic church. sure, Joan of Arc's ideals were very INFP-ish, but if you look at what she actually did in the real world, her natural skill set of talents in many ways is the opposite of an INFP's.

Well she was dead by the age of 19, so hardly time for an ENFP to develop Te either. :shrug:

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
She was a mad person who has somehow gained followers through the rhetoric of her delusions. And just like most of these successful persons who had illusions of grandeur, these people who are so far removed from present reality(Ni dom, Tertiary Ti), she must be no other than INFJ. Like Jesus. Unlike Ne-types, who actually acknowledge the difference between fantasy and reality. Like Ni-types, who invest their time on uncommon vision and takes it seriously.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well she was dead by the age of 19, so hardly time for an ENFP to develop Te either. :shrug:

exactly, that's my point. even for an ENFP, she had unusually strong Te, it's just more within the realm of possibility. an ENFP with strong Te at age 17 isn't unheard of, but an INFP with strong Te at age 17 is (INFPs lack the aggression and action oriented mindset that young ENFPs with strong Te have)

G

Ginkgo

no, madame, it doesn't. it does not magically turn an INFP into an extroverted, aggressive, force of nature (only Te can do that lol and that doesn't generally happen until the INFP is in their 40s-60s, not a 17).

You'd be surprised.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of the biggest misconception about Joan of Arc is that she was an idiosincratic dreamer who was a loner with the head in the clouds and was different. While it seems more that she was a bubbly and normal girl, a people person with a lot of energy, kinda rebellious but in an outright way, not an imaginative and reclusive way. She did not seem really idealist either, she was very ethical, but she was not big idea oriented, she just wanted to serve France, serve the king, and expulse the english. Actually, she was ESFP.

One other big misconception is that an IFP must wait to be 60 years old to start using Te, and that an EFP must wait until 30 to start using Te. The truth is that we all use the 8 functions to some degree. But IFP are Te inferior, meaning that they need a lot of balance to take control of their environment in a logical and impersonal way, and usually fail to do it. And this is true at every stages oftheir life. While EFP are puerile Te user, meaning that they can quite easily be bossy, assertive and controling, but are unpredictable and don't follow easily through a stable and steady plan. Also, this is true at every stage of their life.

Obviously, Joan of Arc was in the second case. But I think she was ESFP, the voice she heared was her inferior Ni.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You'd be surprised.

it's possible, but I doubt it. even 6 months or so ago, I would have thought so, but much of what I initially thought was INFP behavior is much more ENFP. I've known several INFPs IRL and not once have I seen the kind aggressive behavior and energy in them that is present in the ENFP with strong Fi and Te. they have plenty of passion, but with the INFP it's like still waters running deep and they tend to have a VERY difficult time consistently making things happen in the real world (ENFPs struggle with this too, but INFPs struggle with it even more). with ENFPs with strong Te on the other hand, it can be like a fucking tidal wave. they have a lot more energy to allocate to Joan of Arc-ish pursuits

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
exactly, that's my point. even for an ENFP, she had unusually strong Te, it's just more within the realm of possibility. an ENFP with strong Te at age 17 isn't unheard of, but an INFP with strong Te at age 17 is (INFPs lack the aggression and action oriented mindset that young ENFPs with strong Te have)

But come on Elfboy, your argument is based on conjecture alone - you have no idea how her personality manifested in real life. It's OK to speculate but to hold onto your opinion so tenaciously here is illogical. You're just projecting qualities you admire (many that you believe you possess) onto a fantasy ideation of what you imagine she must have been like.

I don't know what type she was, and based on my own knowledge of myself, I say INFP is still possible.

Could she have been ENFP? Sure. :shrug:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But come on Elfboy, your argument is based on conjecture alone - you have no idea how her personality manifested in real life. It's OK to speculate but to hold onto your opinion so tenaciously here is illogical. You're just projecting qualities you admire (many that you believe you possess) onto a fantasy ideation of what you imagine she must have been like.
I don't know what type she was, and based on my own knowledge of myself, I say INFP is still possible.
Could she have been ENFP? Sure. :shrug:

none of my argument has been about her personality at all. it's all about what she did. she was a revolutionary figurehead and a military commander and obviously would have needed to use much more Te than a 17 year old INFP would be capable of (for the record, I actually like INFPs more than ENFPs and was guilty of projecting in precisely the opposite direction until a few months ago)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Many saints were mentally Ill. Kinda hard to accurately ascribe type in those cases IMHO.

dancingqueen16

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm pretty sure she was INFP. Just because she was a fighter and brave and passionate DOESN'T make her an extrovert or a thinker or whatever. That's the stupidest stereotype ever. I know four other INFPs apart from myself (4w5) and one of them is the president of her school and she's overcome nerves and awkwardness and now everyone respects her. I am a really passionate and expressive and I won't stand back and just contemplate about doing stuff - I'm all for taking chances and being brave. The other INFP I mentioned is a 4w3, I'm a 4w5 - I've read 4s tend to be more assertive. Most INFPs are 9s though and those types are peacekeepers and closer to the archetypical INFP. Joan of Arc was probably INFP. Just because someone might be shy or awkward or introverted or whatever doesn't mean they're not brave or plucky.

Sy_

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty sure she was INFP. Just because she was a fighter and brave and passionate DOESN'T make her an extrovert or a thinker or whatever. That's the stupidest stereotype ever. I know four other INFPs apart from myself (4w5) and one of them is the president of her school and she's overcome nerves and awkwardness and now everyone respects her. I am a really passionate and expressive and I won't stand back and just contemplate about doing stuff - I'm all for taking chances and being brave. The other INFP I mentioned is a 4w3, I'm a 4w5 - I've read 4s tend to be more assertive. Most INFPs are 9s though and those types are peacekeepers and closer to the archetypical INFP. Joan of Arc was probably INFP. Just because someone might be shy or awkward or introverted or whatever doesn't mean they're not brave or plucky.

I agree...I did advocacy for years and it was something I was very passionate about. And some of it got very confrontational but I kept going until I got results.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
jtr agrees infp mos def

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Elfboy has clearly never seen an INFP on a mission, to protect others or an ideal, that they will do anything to make the other pay...we do exist! lol
I also find it funny/stupid that people always seem to talk as if they have so much experience with INFP's, despite the fact that they (we) are not common at all, and rarely draw attention to ourselves. I only have ever known a small handful, but everyone (through the use of stereotypes!) imagines that their anecdotal evidence constitutes a universal archetype. I know an INFP with a high IQ, therefore they can have high IQ's. I know a stupid INFP, therefore they can't...; etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum.

(But in the end, I don't really care what type JoA was)

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't agree with this. INFP seems pretty damn accurate.
She doesn't seem the chatty and zany type at all.
Many great freedom fighters and heroes have been INF types.
Gandhi, Jeanne d'Arc, Adolf Hitler, Jesus...

Calm and peaceful idealist folk who has finally had enough, and then proceeds to fight the enemy relentlessly.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
The way she would strategize the hell out of all the battles seemed like strong Te to me. I think she was indeed ENFP.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The way she would strategize the hell out of all the battles seemed like strong Te to me. I think she was indeed ENFP.

Point taken. But why then did she have that whole "pure" and innocent thing going on?
As a person, she does seem more INFP when it comes purely to interaction.
But you're right there.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Point taken. But why then did she have that whole "pure" and innocent thing going on?
because most NFPs, E or I, have somewhat of a "pure" vibe to them

As a person, she does seem more INFP when it comes purely to interaction.
But you're right there.
actually, her communication seems much more ENFP to me. she easily defended herself against much older, more powerful, highly educated and didn't bat an eye verbally bitch slapping them when she needed to. Te inferior types suck with verbal conflict

I don't agree with this. INFP seems pretty damn accurate.
She doesn't seem the chatty and zany type at all.
they aren't as common, but some ENFPs are more serious and intense. an ENFP with strong Fi and Te can have more of a fiery, operatic feel to them

Many great freedom fighters and heroes have been INF types.
Gandhi, Jeanne d'Arc, Adolf Hitler, Jesus...
Hitler was ENFJ
scratching Joan off the list, the rest were INFJs.