• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Was Joan of Arc really an ENFP as opposed to INFP?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Elfboy has clearly never seen an INFP on a mission, to protect others or an ideal, that they will do anything to make the other pay...we do exist! lol
I also find it funny/stupid that people always seem to talk as if they have so much experience with INFP's, despite the fact that they (we) are not common at all, and rarely draw attention to ourselves. I only have ever known a small handful, but everyone (through the use of stereotypes!) imagines that their anecdotal evidence constitutes a universal archetype. I know an INFP with a high IQ, therefore they can have high IQ's. I know a stupid INFP, therefore they can't...; etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum.
(But in the end, I don't really care what type JoA was)

I know at least 5 INFPs but, more importantly, I know about function theory and the inferior function is is the Achilles heel of a type. Joan of Arc was not inferior Te. inferior Te types don't wage battle campaigns, own much more experienced or powerful men in debates because, at the age of 17, they completely lack that kind of control over their inferior function

in fact, this exchange has been a good example of Te Inferior vs Te Tertiary. fact is, there are not an unlimited number of ways in which the INFP personality can express itself. types, especially at the tender age of 17, are limited by their weaker functions (even for an ENFP, Joan had bizarrely strong Te for someone her age). inner functions (cognitive functions, enneagram type etc) display themselves in ways that are often observable and recognizable. just because one relates internally more to a description of one type does not mean they are.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I know at least 5 INFPs but, more importantly, I know about function theory and the inferior function is is the Achilles heel of a type. Joan of Arc was not inferior Te. inferior Te types don't wage battle campaigns, own much more experienced or powerful men in debates because, at the age of 17, they completely lack that kind of control over their inferior function

in fact, this exchange has been a good example of Te Inferior vs Te Tertiary. fact is, there are not an unlimited number of ways in which the INFP personality can express itself. types, especially at the tender age of 17, are limited by their weaker functions (even for an ENFP, Joan had bizarrely strong Te for someone her age). inner functions (cognitive functions, enneagram type etc) display themselves in ways that are often observable and recognizable. just because one relates internally more to a description of one type does not mean they are.

How old are you? At this age, are you sure you are a master of typing? Are you sure that a girl, raised in another country in another age, is so transparent to you that you can discern her motivations? Can your conclusions be anything but a guess, given the circumstances?
Really, there is no reason to type anyone at all, especially historical figures, and the desire to do so seems very transparent, despite what everyone says about 'utility' or 'efficacy'.
So I would call this an another attempt to see someone that you respect as similar to yourself, with all of the confirmation bias that implies.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How old are you? At this age, are you sure you are a master of typing? Are you sure that a girl, raised in another country in another age, is so transparent to you that you can discern her motivations? Can your conclusions be anything but a guess, given the circumstances?
- you're quite the empiricist (I'm more of a rationalist. if something is reasonable and makes sense to me. I'm likely to lean in favor of it unless there is substantial contrary evidence)
- I don't claim to be a master typist or even the best on the board, but no one has given me a compelling case for INFP other than "she was an idealist! she believed in her values and fought for them!" ....no convinced.

Really, there is no reason to type anyone at all, especially historical figures, and the desire to do so seems very transparent, despite what everyone says about 'utility' or 'efficacy'.
then why are you debating me? truth be told, I type people because it is an entertaining game. I'm not going to sit here and tell you I'm doing something productive lol

So I would call this an another attempt to see someone that you respect as similar to yourself, with all of the confirmation bias that implies.
whoa there. anyway, I'm not dead set on ENFP as much as I am that she is not INFP. I could, alternatively, see ESFP or INTJ (sort of like a Renaissance Lelouch vi Britannia, albeit he wasn't the most realistic character)

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hitler was ENFJ

I was looking through this thread to see what would be said about Joan of Arc. I can't give my input as to her type since I haven't read enough on it, but I'd like to make a correction. After reading a big part of Kubizek's (Hitler's only friend as a youth) The Young Hitler I Knew, I would say INFP (maybe - though less likely - INFJ). There is nothing about him that looks like extrovert behaviour, either in his interactions with people or with the external world; the outside is constantly compared with the interior. The only thing I would say that could point towards an extrovert is his constant discontent with his surroundings (in terms of people, but more so in terms of architecture) which could point to a strong Ne; but even so, this is also cycled through an Fi fascination with Wagner and the myths of the past, as to what the world should be like.