• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the personality type of Tilda Swinton?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0842770/bio
"Born into a patrician military family, she was educated at an English and a Scottish boarding school. Tilda subsequently studied Social and Politcal Science at Cambridge University and graduated in 1983 with a degree in English Literature. During her time as a student, she performed countless stage productions and proceeded to work for a season in the Royal Shakespeare Company. A decided rebel when it came to the arts, she left the company after a year as her approach shifted dramatically: With a taste for the unique and bizarre, she found some genuinely interesting gender-bending roles come her way, such as the composer Mozart in Pushkin's "Mozart and Salieri", and as a working class woman impersonating her dead husband during World War II, in Karges' "Screenplay: Man to Man: Another Night of Rubbish on the Telly (#7.5)" (1992). In 1985 the pale-skinned, carrot-topped actress began a professional association with gay experimental director Derek Jarman. She continued to live and work with Jarman for the next nine years, developing seven critically acclaimed films."

INFP 4w5 Sp/Sx

Personal Quotes
The other day, I was going through the airport security and I was searched by a male security guard. I'm very often referred to as "Sir" in elevators and such. I think it has to do with being this tall and not wearing much lipstick. I think people just can't imagine I'd be a woman if I look like this.

I'm basically interested in identity, and I still find fascinating the question, "How do we identify ourselves, and how do we settle into other people's expectations for our identity?"

There is something insane about a lack of doubt. Doubt, to me anyway, is what makes you human, and without doubt even the righteous lose their grip not only on reality but also on their humanity.

True, there is all sorts of religious extremism all over the place, but the reason for this partly has to do with the fascist attitudes and language of absolutism coming from Washington. It's challenging for people outside of America that Bush was re-elected. It means we're all going to have to work a lot harder to understand what so many more Americans than we thought really want. It's an identity shift in our minds about America and maybe for many Americans as well.

I don't work the future - I don't want to know what's coming. I don't feel I need any guarantees.

There's such an effort to try and explain people.

I sometimes think I was always left-wing. I know that sounds completely crazy, but I do know that I asked questions when I was about four, and I remember noticing that I wasn't getting an answer, and I remember it annoying me. Like why when we went to church on Sunday were we sitting upstairs and the people we'd been playing with the day before were sitting downstairs. And I noticed that my brothers were not asking these questions. I was aware that I was being embarrassing.

You're always playing yourself. It's all autobiography, whatever you're doing. It's using them as a kind of prism through which to throw something real about yourself, or something relaxed at least. Because the last thing you want is to look like you're acting.

I think I enjoy my work now even more simply because it's even easier than it was. It sounds sacrilegious to say that anything's a delight when you're away from your children, but the truth is that it is refreshing to only have yourself to dress in the morning, and to lie diagonally across the bed. Making films, going round the world on tour - all these crazy things that were so difficult before are so much easier than breastfeeding twins for 14 months that frankly it is a delight.

In order for the story to move forward, the character has to do certain things. You don't have to be anything but interested in telling the story.

I don't love the theatre. I'm just not one of them.

I am a soldier. I live a soldier's life when I'm working. That's how it feels to me, except I've got a slightly greater chance of survival.

[on the Oscar statuette] I have an American agent who is the spitting image of this. Really truly, the same shape head and, it has to be said, the buttocks.

I really just had a reverse Zoolander (2001) moment when I think I heard someone else's name and suddenly slowly heard my own. I'm still recovering from that moment, and I have absolutely no idea what happened after that. So, you know, you can tell me my dress fell off and I'd believe you, so don't be cruel. - on winning the Best Supporting Actress Academy Award.

[on how she believes Derek Jarman would have reacted to her winning an Oscar] I think he would have laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed... And then, he would ask me for the thing to melt it down into an artwork.

I'm not one of those performers who says the theatre is my great love. It really isn't. I'm not really interested in the theatre at all to be honest. I don't go to it. I find it really boring.

I don't think I'm courageous. One man's courage is another man's comfort zone. We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) explored a taboo subject: the idea of a less than perfect mother. I knew that, when an audience watched the film, there would be a gag reflex at some point. But I was fascinated by the subject - it scared me, and that interested me.

When we were trying to finance We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011), we would reference Rosemary's Baby (1968). It's every pregnant woman's nightmare to give birth to the devil. And every mother worries that she won't connect with her children. When I had my children, my manager asked me what project I wanted to work on next. I said, "Something Greek, perhaps Medea." Nobody quite understood what I meant, what I was feeling.

It's a real comfort zone for me to feel alien.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Born into a patrician military family, she was educated at an English and a Scottish boarding school." "It's a real comfort zone for me to feel alien."

"Feeling alien" points to 4. A 4 attending boarding school, from a patrician military family, would likely take comfort in feeling that way. I looked up INFP and INFJ in LifeTypes and decided that she seemed more INFP, especially in asking questions as a child. LifeTypes has childhood descriptions of types. The INTP is also described as very inquisitive, but she doesn't show typical INTP interests. And her real interest is writing, not acting. I would not consider S as her type, or extraversion. INFP still looks good after watching several youtube interviews.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I've always been somewhat in awe of la Swinton.

INxP, I think.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I totally would've guessed INFJ, just "vibe typing", but the quotes above do scream INFP. I would have guessed 5w4 also, but now she seems very obviously 4w5. Being a 4 always makes people seem Fi-ish though, because of the focus on identity & individuality.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've long seen her as INTP, even though INFP is conceivable. She has that intelligent, irreverent, quietly self-assured, detached, Ti, matter-of-factness about her, combined with the general INXP kookiness.

Here are a couple of interviews with her (it's more like discussions with a group of other actors) and in these she is more relaxed (which I always think is more revealling type-wise), so you can see what I'm talking about.

These clips have other actors talking too, so if you want to watch only her skip to parts below, but it helps to watch from the beginning to understand what they're talking about.

1st clip: 1:22-2:17
2nd clip: 0:00-0:51

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I totally would've guessed INFJ, just "vibe typing", but the quotes above do scream INFP. I would have guessed 5w4 also, but now she seems very obviously 4w5. Being a 4 always makes people seem Fi-ish though, because of the focus on identity & individuality.

Agreed, but I think her strict upbringing has something to do with the way she controls her speech and mannerisms.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Agreed, but I think her strict upbringing has something to do with the way she controls her speech and mannerisms.

She's a lot less controlled in those videos above though... she seems very Ne there. The hands & way of phrasing things. When she's more controlled, I think it's just introversion then.

She actually reminds me of ENFP 4w5 Shirley Manson a bit, but introverted & more contained & serious. I can easily see Tilda as INFP now.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She's a lot less controlled in those videos above though... she seems very Ne there. The hands & way of phrasing things. When she's more controlled, I think it's just introversion then.

She actually reminds me of ENFP 4w5 Shirley Manson a bit, but introverted & more contained & serious. I can easily see Tilda as INFP now.

You're welcome. :D