• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Iron Man

What is Tony Stark's Type?

• ENTP

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • ESTP

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • ENTJ

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
From the first one (haven't seen the second) he is inventive but seems to be inventive to serve a purpose, usually fun, like creating a cool flying suit, rather than because he loves inventing. It seems he is just blessed with a supergenius IQ but rarely feels any desire to use it when he is not working. Most of the time, he just likes to have fun and look impressive. He seems a definite S.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From the first one (haven't seen the second) he is inventive but seems to be inventive to serve a purpose, usually fun, like creating a cool flying suit, rather than because he loves inventing.
And this is proof of Sensing, how?

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
What I mean is that inventing is not his passion. It's just something he's really really good at. His passion is just going around having a good time and having a thrill-ride. Inventing is just an end to his present, sensing related end.

spin-1/2-nuclei

MBTI Type
INTJ
I always wondered to what extent the "mechanics" of a personality mean that fictional characters necessarilly fit into MBTI types or not.

For example does it "naturally" happen that if you give a acharacter dom-Te, that their inferior will be Fi, etc., regardless of th author never havign ehard of MBTI?

I think it kind of makes sense.

That's an interesting question...

I honestly have no idea. I suspect that at the very least it would occasionally happen that an author/"authors" would "naturally" provide a character with correlative dominate and inferior functions. I would also suspect that an author/"authors" might create an entirely fictional type with all of the ideal components of the varying personality types and possibly even increase the maximum number of correlations but I haven't really spent any time researching evidence to back any of that up.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What I mean is that inventing is not his passion. It's just something he's really really good at. His passion is just going around having a good time and having a thrill-ride. Inventing is just an end to his present, sensing related end.
To me if he were a Sensor, he'd be much more hands-on. As in, he'd assemble the robot himself, or something. I don't think the fact the man likes having a good time is proof of Sensing; God knows I myself love a good party.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
To me if he were a Sensor, he'd be much more hands-on. As in, he'd assemble the robot himself, or something. I don't think the fact the man likes having a good time is proof of Sensing; God knows I myself love a good party.

But msot people are snsors, and most people don't spendtheir lvies making things with their hands.

it is in large part to do the fact of whether one likes concrete facts or theories, for example. a flying suit is a very concrete concept.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
But msot people are snsors, and most people don't spendtheir lvies making things with their hands.

it is in large part to do the fact of whether one likes concrete facts or theories, for example. a flying suit is a very concrete concept.

:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

Most real world inventors like Edison or Steve Jobs are considered N. (In fact they are usually considered ENTP.) How is a lightbulb or a home computer less concrete than a flying suit?

:smile::D

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

Most real world inventors like Edison or Steve Jobs are considered N. (In fact they are usually considered ENTP.) How is a lightbulb or a home computer less concrete than a flying suit?

:smile::D

Clealry in the parallel universe of Iron Man, it is a concrete idea.

I didn't watch the 2nd one as I disliked the first one so much, but in the first one, the guy is like "it was ok when I was selling arms to Amerkins to smoke out A-rabs, but now I'm pissed off at these A-rabs using my guns to kill white innocent people, so Ima make me a suit and go massacre some myself".

Then he goes and makes the suit in order to fulfill that immediate purpose, whcih he then proceeds to fulfill.

At no point is he an abstract personality speculating with ideas as his main form of operating.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

You still haven't told me how a flying suit is more concrete than a lightbulb or home computer. Every human artifact in the world today started out as simply an idea. The first person who has an idea significantly different from what exists needs a significant imagination to go with it. That is why inventors tend to be N's.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I have read that S's enjoy the application process more than the actual thinking up of the idea that N's do. Eh.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Ok, so maybe or maybe not inventors "tend to be N's". I don't know because as a Ti-dom and not an N-dom the "inventor" archetype is never one I have related to or looked into, tbh.

But on its own, inventing something doesn't define someone as an N, we have to know more about their personality.

MBTI is about preference, not ability. Making a flying suit is a result which can arise from different ways of information gathering, information processing and communication of information. The character may have shown great inventiveness to make a suit but this doesn't mean that the fundament of his personality is N.

Maybe some N's don't liek the idea that, just like an N can be very good at physical pursuits if they put their mind to it but in normal mode tend not be as good as S's as it is not their main preference, S's can be as good at understanding and applying an abstract theory as an N if they have a real motivation to do so, but simply normally prefer not to focus on this aspect.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Look at all the ENTPs in this thread.. arguing that they're such bad-asses!

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
haha, we're not bad asses--Tony Stark is the imaginary super ideal that ENTPs wish they could be.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most inventions (official ENTP domainâ„¢) are concrete things. Where abstraction comes in is in picturing something that doesn't exist already, but totally should, then figuring out how to make it a reality. That is conceptual N work.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I didn't watch the 2nd one as I disliked the first one so much, but in the first one, the guy is like "it was ok when I was selling arms to Amerkins to smoke out A-rabs, but now I'm pissed off at these A-rabs using my guns to kill white innocent people, so Ima make me a suit and go massacre some myself".

Then he goes and makes the suit in order to fulfill that immediate purpose, whcih he then proceeds to fulfill.

At no point is he an abstract personality speculating with ideas as his main form of operating.
You're forgetting the bit where he designed an awesome suit that did not previously exist, that no "sane" person would consider possible.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
You're forgetting the bit where he designed an awesome suit that did not previously exist, that no "sane" person would consider possible.

Sure they could. He just found it ridiculously easy to comprehend. It might not have existed but apart from the technical feat that came naturally to him, he didn't put that much imagination in it.

Mipp

MBTI Type
INTP
Movie Tony is ENTP. I don't think he's douchey at all, but instead someone who grew up with an emotionally distant father and more money than he knew what to do with. Tony was able to coast by in life thanks to his fortune, his good looks, and his charm. It wasn't until he was attacked with his own weapons in Afghanistan that he had to confront the reality of his life's work.

In the first movie, when he's trapped in the cave with his heart connected to a car battery, Tony is clearly depressed and says, "I'm going to die in a week anyway." Yinsen replies, "Well, then this is the most important week of your life." As soon as he hears this, Tony seems to revive, as though all he needed was this perspective flip and suddenly he's in genius mode again. Instead of wallowing in self-pity and misery, he escapes and sets a new goal for himself: to take his weapons off the market and protect innocent people from violence.

In the sequel, as it becomes increasingly obvious that the palladium is failing and he's dying, he becomes more and more thrill-seeking. Even at his darkest, he's still the wise-cracking ENTP, the sort of guy who could drunkenly order his DJ to lay down "some phat beats that I can kick my buddy's ass to".

Ivan Vanko also fascinated me; Rourke did a lot with his limited part. I suspect he's an INTP. The only things in his life he seems to care about are his father and his parrots. As Tony Stark points out, with his intellect and engineering skills, he could've become a wealthy man, but none of it seems to matter to Vanko. He's got an impish, INTPish sense of humor, such as when he talks in Russian to Justin Hammer just to piss him off, or turns Hammer's words back around on him: "Hey dude, don't get too attached to things." :D

But I think what sells INTP for him to me is the scene where Hammer storms into his room, backed up by two huge bodyguards, and snatches Vanko's shoes and stuffs the parrot in a bag. Vanko is so stoic, in contrast to the way Hammer is flailing around and yelling like a little boy. I think he and Tony make a good matchup because of how similar and yet how fundamentally different they are -- the ENTP versus the INTP.

And yes, I've read the comic book Iron Man, and that Tony is more ENTJ.

Mipp

MBTI Type
INTP
Sure they could. He just found it ridiculously easy to comprehend. It might not have existed but apart from the technical feat that came naturally to him, he didn't put that much imagination in it.

Did we see the same movies? Tony's Iron Man tech is so ahead of its time, Obadiah Stane could only replicate it by piecing together bits of his original suit. In the sequel, Ivan Vanko recreates the arc reactor technology based on blueprints left by his father, one of its original creators, and he's established as a robotics prodigy in his own right. Neither the North Korean nor the Iranian governments, nor even the US government, is capable of replicating Tony's Iron Man technology. Justin Hammer, the CEO of a major cybernetics corporation, is pathetic compared to Tony or Ivan, and only engineers the War Machine armor based on, yet again, a kidnapped Iron Man suit. The only person in both movies on Tony's level is Ivan Vanko when it comes to technology.

Last edited: