• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Iron Man

What is Tony Stark's Type?

• ENTP

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • ESTP

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • ENTJ

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
And are most of them quick-witted womanizers who love jetting round the world shooting up foreigners?

Quick witted? Yes
Womanizers? If they are good looking, perhaps.
Who love jetting around the world? ENTP's, sure.
Shooting up foreigners? ENTP's, sure.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Quick witted? Yes
Womanizers? If they are good looking, perhaps.
Who love jetting around the world? ENTP's, sure.
Shooting up foreigners? ENTP's, sure

ok dude, I will just have take your word for it that NASA is filled with reckless, action-man playboys whose personality resembles Stark from Iron Man, and not highly theoretical physics geeks as I would have expected.

You learn something new every day I guess.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
ok dude, I will just have take your word for it that NASA is filled with reckless, action-man playboys whose personality resembles Stark from Iron Man, and not highly theoretical physics geeks as I would have expected.

You learn something new every day I guess.

You took what I said WAY out of context. I said NASA was filled with NT's, not playboys. But, some of those NT's are going to be ENTP's - some of which will be good looking and have the playboy mentality. Just because NT's are smart doesn't mean they can't get women or that they can't be suave.

I totally see where you're coming from in regards to Stark's playboy persona. Heck, maybe he's ESTP for all I know. I just don't see ESTP's hanging out in that "sphere" of society all that often. The ESTP's I know are middle management, construction, low-tech government, etc. I don't see ESTP's making space suits and discovering new elements. I'm not saying they aren't capable of it or that there aren't some doing it, I'm just saying it doesn't really fit what I've seen in real life.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tony Stark is ESTP. Even my ESTP room mate, who is an engineer, has no issue saying that he is tony stark :D.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You took what I said WAY out of context. I said NASA was filled with NT's, not playboys. But, some of those NT's are going to be ENTP's - some of which will be good looking and have the playboy mentality. Just because NT's are smart doesn't mean they can't get women or that they can't be suave.

I totally see where you're coming from in regards to Stark's playboy persona. Heck, maybe he's ESTP for all I know. I just don't see ESTP's hanging out in that "sphere" of society all that often. The ESTP's I know are middle management, construction, low-tech government, etc. I don't see ESTP's making space suits and discovering new elements. I'm not saying they aren't capable of it or that there aren't some doing it, I'm just saying it doesn't really fit what I've seen in real life.

Stark really wasnt that into discovering though. He spends most of his time playboying! He spent maybe an hour building a hadron colider and "Welding" away a new element. He does not spend very much time researching. He is extremely hands on. I would say Stark is closer to halla than oberon.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tony Stark is a super-genius and therefore NTP!

CASE CLOSED

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram

Well IRL I have known womanizing NT's and all the rest of it but certainly not in the way Stark was.

These people defined themselves ultimately as intellectual. As I remember this was not at all Stark's defining feature, rather that he is an action-man who lives in the moment, i.e. the defining feature of an Se-dom.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IDK I only saw the first one. The reason I thought he was an S is because he is into action and sensorary indulgence and at no point showed any intuition. he just seemed like the typical son of an executive trained in political savvy and bureaucratic vocabulary (which many people mistake for intuition).

In the second one, he's even MORE S than the first one.

Yeah, believe it or not, as I watched the movie I thought "people on the forum would totally type this guy as an S except that he is smart and OBVIOUSLY S's can't be smart." I knew he would end up ENTP.

If he wasn't actually shown as being extremely smart what would people type him as? You guys do realize that there have to be maybe a few anomalies to the "anyone who is exceptionally smart is an NT" right? Oh, never mind.

I think the problem is that a lot of ENTPs on this forum believe that they have "strong Se". Even ENTJ makes more sense to me for stark (Te - Se).

I didn't type him as ENTP because he was smart. I typed him as ENTP because he seemed to have Ne as a primary function with Ti as a back-up (lots of careful analysis, like when he was looking at the new element, etc.).

Look, I have an ESTP room mate who IS AN ENGINEER. He is very smart, does tons of crazy math and graduate classes etc. I would never, nor would he ever, agree with a Ne world view. Ne people are often risk takers because they just either dont know any better, or dont care to (ie inferior Si, wont save for a rainy day, wont worry about the future etc). Se people appear to be more risk takers because they believe they just are that much of a bad ass (im being serious). Stark seemed to fall more into the latter. I felt like I was watching a james bond movie (with the one liners etc). Not exactly "Ne = wit" ever went off in my head.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm going agree with Babylon Candle and tcda on this one. Stark has a ton of Se. He's putting things together and making it work, not brainstorming and mapping out everything before proceeding. That's one of the major differences between the two. They both have analytical Ti to back up their primary function, but Se is "do it right now and see if it works" while Ne "brainstorm on paper first".

He also seems very focused on -current- fame and fortune. Ne users are more future oriented

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm going agree with Babylon Candle and tcda on this one. Stark has a ton of Se. He's putting things together and making it work, not brainstorming and mapping out everything before proceeding. That's one of the major differences between the two. They both have analytical Ti to back up their primary function, but Se is "do it right now and see if it works" while Ne "brainstorm on paper first".

He also seems very focused on -current- fame and fortune. Ne users are more future oriented

alright, you've actually sort of convinced me.

spin-1/2-nuclei

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, believe it or not, as I watched the movie I thought "people on the forum would totally type this guy as an S except that he is smart and OBVIOUSLY S's can't be smart." I knew he would end up ENTP.

If he wasn't actually shown as being extremely smart what would people type him as? You guys do realize that there have to be maybe a few anomalies to the "anyone who is exceptionally smart is an NT" right? Oh, never mind.

I agree I don't really buy into the idea that there is any real quantifiable type/intelligence association. If there really was anything scientifically significant about the argument, you'd have to submit your personality test scores along with your GRE, SAT, GPA etc when attempting to get into university/apply for jobs etc, hell we could even do away with all the IQ testing. ; )

Just to argue an alternative view point. According to the profile I read about INTPs here - http://www.personalitypage.com/INTP.html
it's possible that Tony Stark might be an INTP with lots of money and no trouble getting laid, which tends to bring out the extrovert in some people. The guy didn't seem to have much direction and hated the mundane boringness of real life responsibilities

but then again... since he's a fictional character he might just be a blend of a few different types haphazardly thrown together by an author who never studied psyche or MBTI. :)

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I'm siding with the estp's on this one. Stark is way too concerned about his appearence to be anything else.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
Out of curiosity, is there anybody else here who actually reads the comics?

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
but then again... since he's a fictional character he might just be a blend of a few different types haphazardly thrown together by an author who never studied psyche or MBTI. :)

Comic characters are fleshed out not by one author but many- they go through many different changes!

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm sold Stark= ESTP

Hammer on the other hand, is a pretender, he's clearly trying to be a bigshot businessman, but he fails at it. He's a P, his attitude isn't serious enough to be a J. I suspect INTP, I'd have to find some quotes or something...

Stark was never the hero in this movie, if he was, we'd have just seen Iron Man 1 again, and I guess the idea was that the audience feels what everyone in the movie would have felt about him (let down I suppose).

I really really liked the bit where Rourke came out with his lightning whips, that sent chills down my spine.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
but then again... since he's a fictional character he might just be a blend of a few different types haphazardly thrown together by an author who never studied psyche or MBTI.

I always wondered to what extent the "mechanics" of a personality mean that fictional characters necessarilly fit into MBTI types or not.

For example does it "naturally" happen that if you give a acharacter dom-Te, that their inferior will be Fi, etc., regardless of th author never havign ehard of MBTI?

I think it kind of makes sense.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree I don't really buy into the idea that there is any real quantifiable type/intelligence association. If there really was anything scientifically significant about the argument, you'd have to submit your personality test scores along with your GRE, SAT, GPA etc when attempting to get into university/apply for jobs etc, hell we could even do away with all the IQ testing. ; )
Well obviously type isn't so correlated with intelligence that it can become a placeholder for it, and using it as such is a very bad idea (If so I should be on the bottom half of his site's intelligence curve, as most people here are Introverted Intuitives). That doesn't mean there's zero correlation between type and intelligence. A study published in the 2003 edition of the European Journal of Psychology found a strong correlation between Myers-Briggs Intuition and IQ, and a somewhat weaker one between Introversion and IQ. I haven't found a free copy to show you guys, but if you wanna search for one, the name of the study is: Demographic and Personality predictors of intelligence: A study using the neo Personality inventory and the Myers-Briggs Type indicator.

Just to argue an alternative view point. According to the profile I read about INTPs here - Portrait of an INTP
it's possible that Tony Stark might be an INTP with lots of money and no trouble getting laid, which tends to bring out the extrovert in some people.
Yeah, therefore he's an Extroverted NTP, or ENTP. ;)

The guy didn't seem to have much direction and hated the mundane boringness of real life responsibilities
Indicating Perception. Not necessarily INTP.

I always wondered to what extent the "mechanics" of a personality mean that fictional characters necessarilly fit into MBTI types or not.

For example does it "naturally" happen that if you give a acharacter dom-Te, that their inferior will be Fi, etc., regardless of th author never havign ehard of MBTI?

I think it kind of makes sense.
I don't buy that the lower functions of a person necessarily fit their higher functions (By my own estimation I'm Ne Ti Se Fi rather than Ne Ti Fe Si for example), but to me it seems that a properly written character would have more or less coherent higher functions, so most characters are typable.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

Smart is a vague term. Any type can be smart, but "smart" is going to look differently for each type. "Inventive" is a more specific word, and "inventive" describes an N better than an S. "Witty, smartass" is an even more specific description, and those traits are more common in ENTPs than in other types.