• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Iron Man

What is Tony Stark's Type?

• ENTP

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • ESTP

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • ENTJ

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
HATED THIS MOVIE.
just throwing that out there.

let me tell you why. two reasons.

-What'shisface was a TERRIBLE protagonist/superhero. Superheroes are supposed to be charismatic, leading, noble, and humanitarian figures. this guy was a self-righteous know-it-all hot shot. Not the kind of guy I'd look to as a superhero.

-The plot was incredibly week, the climax was incredibly anti-climatic, and the ending was scattered and stupid.

I definitely ended up liking the antagonist most of all. Definitely respected him much, much more than Downy, jr.

but the action was pretty chill.

Tony Stark- TOTAL ENTJ
Lt. Col. James- IxFJ
Scarlett Johansson's character- INTJ
Gwyneth Paltrow's character- ENFx
Ivan Vanko- INxP <-- (favorite character award)
Justin Hammer- ESTJ (dick)
Samuel L. Jackson's character- BADASS (probably ENTP)

Yeah, I kind of get what you're saying. I "respected" Vanko more for his intelligence, I guess. He seemed to have a lot more knowledge. It did kind of seem like you could have just stuck anyone in the suit and they'd kick butt. Throw me in there. I'll take out Vanko.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, believe it or not, as I watched the movie I thought "people on the forum would totally type this guy as an S except that he is smart and OBVIOUSLY S's can't be smart." I knew he would end up ENTP.

If he wasn't actually shown as being extremely smart what would people type him as? You guys do realize that there have to be maybe a few anomalies to the "anyone who is exceptionally smart is an NT" right?
Leave those poor oppressed straw men alone, what did they ever do to you? :cry:

I typed the man an ENTP because he is spontaneous, inventive and abstract, not because he's intelligent. I typed Bart Simpson (who is a complete idiot) the same, for the same reason.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What'shisface was a TERRIBLE protagonist/superhero. Superheroes are supposed to be charismatic, leading, noble, and humanitarian figures. this guy was a self-righteous know-it-all hot shot.
Yeah, he's an ENTP superhero. That's what ENTPs do, we're wisecracking hotshots. it's the (one of many) reason(s) we're awesome. :smoke:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I could see Stark as ESTP too. Was actually thinking about that while watching it.

I was bummed they didn't explain more about that element he created. Why was it better? Is this explained somewhere in the comics?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm with sim on this one I think. I'm kind of wondering if something could explain more why he is a potential ESTP? I'd love to be enlightened.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'd have to watch both again and pay more attention to his language, among other things. ExTP makes the most sense, with ENTP being the most likely.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
HATED THIS MOVIE.

-What'shisface was a TERRIBLE protagonist/superhero. Superheroes are supposed to be charismatic, leading, noble, and humanitarian figures. this guy was a self-righteous know-it-all hot shot. Not the kind of guy I'd look to as a superhero.

-The plot was incredibly week, the climax was incredibly anti-climatic, and the ending was scattered and stupid.

I definitely ended up liking the antagonist most of all. Definitely respected him much, much more than Downy, jr.

but the action was pretty chill.

Tony Stark- TOTAL ENTJ
Lt. Col. James- IxFJ
Scarlett Johansson's character- INTJ
Gwyneth Paltrow's character- ENFx
Ivan Vanko- INxP <-- (favorite character award)
Justin Hammer- ESTJ (dick)
Samuel L. Jackson's character- BADASS (probably ENTP)

I think Downy Jr. did an outstanding job portraying IM. He's not supposed to be a humanatarian or a superhero. He's just a dude with an awesome armor. If you looked at the first one, before he invented the suit he built weapons. Not exactly a superhero trait there. The only reason he changed his view was because he saw what his weapon was doing to people first hand. Until that point he was fine with the way things were. He was only fixing a problem his company started in the first place.

Vanko on the other hand did not value innocent life and had his robot run amok in the city where bystanders would had gotten killed. Nothing like satisfying your own vengence without regarding other people. Iron Man is the lesser evil because even though he's more like a rock star than a hero, he valued human life more than Vanko. But, lets be serious here, IM never had the hero mentality. He's not trying to be, nor is he pretending to be one. He's a millionaire/playboy in an armor and he's pretty consistant playing that part.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
HATED THIS MOVIE.

Who says superheroes have to be noble do-gooders? Let's face it, Superman and Captain America are boring, for the most part, and Batman is at his best when he's burned out and his ethics (and methods) are questionable.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
What's ESTP about Stark?

IDK I only saw the first one. The reason I thought he was an S is because he is into action and sensorary indulgence and at no point showed any intuition. he just seemed like the typical son of an executive trained in political savvy and bureaucratic vocabulary (which many people mistake for intuition).

But yes I hated the film and character so perhaps this explains why I didn't wish to identify his dominant functions with mine.

Though one example of his intuition would be useful I guess.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IDK I only saw the first one. The reason I thought he was an S is because he is into action and sensorary indulgence and at no point showed any intuition. he just seemed like the typical son of an executive trained in political savvy and bureaucratic vocabulary (which many people mistake for intuition).
"Nice dress. Where'd you get it?"
"You bought it for me."
"Well, I have great taste."

Not to mention he envisioned and then designed that goddamn suit. He's a clear ENTP inventor. Being trained in political savvy would actually point toward ESTJ (or ENTJ).

But yes I hated the film and character so perhaps this explains why I didn't wish to identify his dominant functions with mine.
You suck. Downey's portrayal of Stark was awesome.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
]"Nice dress. Where'd you get it?"
"You bought it for me."
"Well, I have great taste."

that's classic Se wordplay. ESTP's tend to better at quickfire comebacks than ENTP's.

Not to mention he envisioned and then designed that goddamn suit. He's a clear ENTP inventor. ).

Again, I would expect an S to be better at designign a suit than an N.

Being trained in political savvy would actually point toward ESTJ (or ENTJ

It wouldn't point it any type, it jsut depends on upbringing.

You suck. Downey's portrayal of Stark was awesome

Hey I have no problem with Downey just the plot and script. ;)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's classic Se wordplay. ESTP's tend to better at quickfire comebacks than ENTP's.

Where the hell did you get that from? Wit and innovation are Ne-driven and two of the principal defining features of ENTP. From Typelogic.com:

"Clever" is the word that perhaps describes ENTPs best. The professor who juggles half a dozen ideas for research papers and grant proposals in his mind while giving a highly entertaining lecture on an abstruse subject is a classic example of the type. So is the stand-up comedian whose lampoons are not only funny, but incisively accurate.

ENTPs are usually verbally as well as cerebrally quick, and generally love to argue--both for its own sake, and to show off their often-impressive skills. They tend to have a perverse sense of humor as well, and enjoy playing devil's advocate. They sometimes confuse, even inadvertently hurt, those who don't understand or accept the concept of argument as a sport.

ENTPs are as innovative and ingenious at problem-solving as they are at verbal gymnastics; on occasion, however, they manage to outsmart themselves. This can take the form of getting found out at "sharp practice"--ENTPs have been known to cut corners without regard to the rules if it's expedient -- or simply in the collapse of an over-ambitious juggling act. Both at work and at home, ENTPs are very fond of "toys"--physical or intellectual, the more sophisticated the better. They tend to tire of these quickly, however, and move on to new ones.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
ESTPs have an uncanny ability to perceive people's attitudes and motivations. They pick up on little cues which go completely unnoticed by most other types, such as facial expressions and stance. They're typically a couple of steps ahead of the person they're interacting with. ESTPs use this ability to get what they want out of a situation. Rules and laws are seen as guidelines for behavior, rather than mandates. If the ESTP has decided that something needs to be done, then their "do it and get on with it" attitude takes precendence over the rules. However, the ESTP tends to have their own strong belief in what's right and what's wrong, and will doggedly stick to their principles. The Rules of the Establishment may hold little value to the ESTP, but their own integrity mandates that they will not under any circumstances do something which they feel to be wrong.

ESTPs have a strong flair for drama and style. They're fast-moving, fast-talking people who have an appreciation for the finer things in life. They may be gamblers or spendthrifts. They're usually very good at story telling and improvising. They typically makes things up as they go along, rather than following a plan. They love to have fun, and are fun people to be around.

Regarding the inventions: just being inventive doesn't mean you have Ne, surely it depends on what the nature of your innovation is? Theoretical innovation sounds Ne, for sure, but practical innovation like designing a suit, sounds more Se.

Regarding wit: Ne wit is more abstract and not immediately obviously relevant to the situation. Usually it is based on drawing some tenuous connection. Se is better at spotting the immediate (you could say "obvious") joke within any given situation quicker than others, the Ne spots the connections between concepts quicker than others.

In other words, you should read the ESTP profiles. There is nothing to suggest that lack of Ne makes ESTP's less witty or clever; it is just a different kind of wit and intelligence to that of the ESTP.

Read this profile and tell me why the Iron Man character doesn't match it:

http://www.personalitypage.com/ESTP.html

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

:shock: Like a tuxedo? That kind of a suit? Or the kind of suit that flies through the air at warp speed and is extremely technologically advanced? Cuz I'm sure most of the guys at NASA are S's. Err, maybe not.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
:shock: Like a tuxedo? That kind of a suit? Or the kind of suit that flies through the air at warp speed and is extremely technologically advanced? .

Both.

Cuz I'm sure most of the guys at NASA are S's. Err, maybe not

I wouldn't know. I do know I've known some extremely clever S engineers.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I wouldn't know.

The guys doing the high-tech designing (space shuttle and its components, suits, you name it) are not ESTP-heavy. The population is not S-heavy.

Go into a college aerospace engineering program, pick a random class, pick out the 5 best students in that class. Maybe 1 of those 5 students will be S, and it probably would not be ESTP - it would probably be ISTJ. The majority of this crowd is NT.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
The guys doing the high-tech designing (space shuttle and its components, suits, you name it) are not ESTP-heavy. The population is not S-heavy.

Go into a college aerospace engineering program, pick a random class, pick out the 5 best students in that class. Maybe 1 of those 5 students will be S, and it probably would not be ESTP - it would probably be ISTJ. The majority of this crowd is NT.

And are most of them quick-witted womanizers who love jetting round the world shooting up foreigners?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Okay, but I still think Stark's nothing but a dick. He's cool and all, but he is a TOTAL douche bag. Hands down.