• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Type is Yoda?

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
I never thought I'd say this, but you guys have some pretty boxed in ideas about INFPs.

I sure don't :D I just think there's a strong pattern in archetypes in fantasy fiction (such a "simple" fiction is perhaps where the archetypes come into play the most), and "mentor" is not the archetype I would associate first and foremost with INFPs. It's theoretically possible Yoda is an INFP, but I could come up with archetypes that would fit him better, and NFJ would be among them indeed.

I just think that the "mentor" archetype is more likely a J than a P. You could say that, for example, Dumbledore or Gandalf are actually Ps, but their role in the story is certainly J.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I sure don't :D I just think there's a strong pattern in archetypes in fantasy fiction (such a "simple" fiction is perhaps where the archetypes come into play the most), and "mentor" is not the archetype I would associate first and foremost with INFPs. It's theoretically possible Yoda is an INFP, but I could come up with archetypes that would fit him better, and NFJ would be among them indeed.

I just think that the "mentor" archetype is more likely a J than a P. You could say that, for example, Dumbledore or Gandalf are actually Ps, but their role in the story is certainly J.

Your argument is based on an assumption that Ps don't mentor people. You've created a false association between "J" and "mentor" and assumed that anyone who mentors people is most probably a J. That's silly. A lot of NPs enjoy imparting knowledge on others simply because they enjoy discussing and passing on their areas of interest. In Yoda's case, he knows it's his moral duty to teach Luke the ways of the Jedi in order to save the universe from evil. That could quite easily be motivated by Fi.

If you're basing this on MBTI's oversimplification of what P/J means, I'd suggest checking out some resources on Jungian functions.

If you're going to argue that Yoda is a J, you need to show evidence of his use of introverted perception (Si/Ni) and extroverted judgment (Fe/Te.) Until then you're just enforcing meaningless stereotypes and not providing any real content.

StrappingYoungLad

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Now that I've come across Victor's posts, I'm convinced that Yoda's type is Victor's type. :cheese:

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Your argument is based on an assumption that Ps don't mentor people. You've created a false association between "J" and "mentor" and assumed that anyone who mentors people is most probably a J. That's silly. A lot of NPs enjoy imparting knowledge on others simply because they enjoy discussing and passing on their areas of interest. In Yoda's case, he knows it's his moral duty to teach Luke the ways of the Jedi in order to save the universe from evil. That could quite easily be motivated by Fi.

If you're basing this on MBTI's oversimplification of what P/J means, I'd suggest checking out some resources on Jungian functions.

If you're going to argue that Yoda is a J, you need to show evidence of his use of introverted perception (Si/Ni) and extroverted judgment (Fe/Te.) Until then you're just enforcing meaningless stereotypes and not providing any real content.

Oh... I guess I'm ending this discussion, I really can't argument about Yoda because I've seen Star Wars 5 years ago for the last time and frankly I can't remember any real evidence of Ni/Fe vs. Fi/Ne ;)

I'm pretty comfortable with Jungian functions, don't worry. But that doesn't change the fact that this discussion will also take the same way as any discussion about Gandalf or Dumbledore or any other mentor. In my opinion they're primarily "old, wise and cool", not really "types" MBTI-wise, and that's why I usually don't participate in such discussions, and I should have done so here as well :)

bighairything

MBTI Type
ENFP
I never thought I'd say this, but you guys have some pretty boxed in ideas about INFPs.

Not at all. He quite easily could be an INFP, but are there any particularly compelling reasons for thinking he's an introvert other than having spent a few decades on his own in a swamp?

I agree with the functions you're proposing, just not their arrangement. The guy's an Extroverted NFP all the way.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Go to your cave, Luke. :)

Kalifornia310

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
I believe he was ENFJ. ENFJ tend to go introverted at times, and we have the mind game ability as JEDIs so id say ENFJs are jedi!! just putting it out there...

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not at all. He quite easily could be an INFP, but are there any particularly compelling reasons for thinking he's an introvert other than having spent a few decades on his own in a swamp?

I agree with the functions you're proposing, just not their arrangement. The guy's an Extroverted NFP all the way.

I could go with ENFP much, much more easily than either NFJ type.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Tantive

MBTI Type
INFP
Yoda's nuttyness before revealing he was Yoda in Empire Strikes Back I found was quite typically the INFP nutty streak...before going all serious :p

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I believe he was ENFJ. ENFJ tend to go introverted at times, and we have the mind game ability as JEDIs so id say ENFJs are jedi!! just putting it out there...

you enfjays are claiming but aren't providing much evidence as to why he's an enfj.

G

Glycerine

He's INFX, thats for sure. I highly doubt ENFJ or ENFP. I don't really understand why people keep saying ENFPs are one of the most introverted extroverts. I have known mostly REALLY outgoing ENFPs.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Everyone's an INFJ, Fuzzy. Make a note.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
My guess: INFJ

ENFP???? LOL. :D

All the cosmic shit he spouts is more Ni/Fe than Ne/Fi.

Consider this quote from the ugly little green dude himself:

"For my ally is The Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it...makes it grow....It's energy surrounds us....and binds us. Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter. You must feel the force around you. Between you...me....the tree...the rock....everywhere...Yes, even between the land and the ship...."

There's so much Ni and Fe in there it makes me puke.

I understand what he means, but I don't think too much about that kind of shit nor would I say it the way he does.

I don't see any reason to think he's an extravert. In fact, I think it's kind of preposterous.

He's like the classic Sage archetype--a man of few words-- except when giving sage advice.

When does he just shoot the shit, or crack jokes, or think out loud, or do ANYTHING that remotely resembles Extraversion?

NEVER!!! LOL.

The guy is mystical, and mystifying. And I agree with the person who pointed out his serious Mentor (Mentor with a CAPITAL M--as in Keirsey Temperament Sorter--not "mentor" in the general sense) qualities.

INFJ. INFJ. INFJ.

This is just a guess, it's just my opinion, and its fucking YODA we're talking about, so go ahead and disagree with me, but if anyone expects a debate they will be very disappointed.

R

Riva

The Ni vs Ne is the biggest issue here. If that could be solved the rest is easy.

Well the easiest letter in typing him would be 'F'

Now we have xxFx

Does he have a intuitive inclination or sensory? I would say intuitive from the different angle he sees things. (It is obvious, I have never seen an intuitive be so intuitive / joke)

Now we have xNFx

We see that he continuously attempts to categorize things in his mind as a IxxP would. IxxPs continuously attempt to categorize their thoughts, the environment etc. This is one of the major differences we see between IxxPs and IxxJs. IxxPs sometimes (most of the time I would say) find themselves lost inside their heads due to their tendency to absorb and categorize everything in the external world.

(Maybe that is why IxxPs don't ever do things till they figure things out.)

But IxxJs don't seem to have this issue. They do not overwhelm and sidetrack their thoughts too much.

So I would say Yoda is a 'P' rather than a 'J'. He wants to put things in order inside his head then take actions.

So we have xNFP.
-------------------

I vs E

An extrovert would say he is a E not an I. But he appears to be a E because he is over 900 years old and has definitely overcome his social anxieties Is seem to have.

But anyway I do have to admit that I vs E is hard.

But I am inclined to say he is an INFP who had 900 years to overcome his social anxieties. :)

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hehe, i think we could create a "mistyping Yoda" thread.

Way ahead of you.

Yoda never takes decisions based on value judgements. Only judgements based on principles. By opposition with the true feeler Luke S, Yoda don't act on emotional impulses, he knows how to stay calm and serenly analyse problems and make the good and objective decsision based on logical principles.

Yoda's judgements are base more along the lines of the Jedi philosophy, and the ever-present nature of the force. He's farsighted, as opposed to the impulsive Luke, but that level of calmness is more so Ni; in fact, his whole speech about the force is a clear indication of dominant Ni and inferior Se:

Yes, Yoda also throught the original films demonstrates some Ti, but there's no way in hell he's an Ne user by any definition of the word.

INFJs are Chart-The-Course, Yode is clearly Behind-The-Scene.

This is Keirsey bullshit; it has nothing to do with congitive function at all.

INFJs are warm, caring and nurturing, Yoda is harsh, unemotional and cerebral.

That is a load of crap; INFJ's are not tender-hearted little psychologists anymore than INTP's are anti-social computer nerds. Fe is a function that is not merely associated with interpersonal warmth, and in fact, Fe can be downright callous. It's a matter of where one aquires their ethics from; Yoda in this case draws forth from the tenets of the Jedi way, he adheres to those rules of life and accepts the wisdom of it. That's Fe if I ever saw it.

Now as for being, 'harsh' or 'unemotional' or 'cerebral'; wouldn't that be an indication that he's actually 5, not 9?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yoda was INTP, INTJ, or INFJ.

Definitely a deep thinker like INTP, but also a mystic like INFJ, and INTJ balances those 2 so he might be that but idk.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yoda was INTP, INTJ, or INFJ.

Definitely a deep thinker like INTP, but also a mystic like INFJ, and INTJ balances those 2 so he might be that but idk.

I'd sooner type him INTJ over INTP, if not INFJ. Although Te/Fi is highly doubtful.