• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Actor Cillian Murphy

Lightyear

Cillian Murphy is most well-known for playing Scarecrow in "Batman Begins" and heir Robert Fischer in "Inception" and also for having one of the most distinctive faces in Hollywood. He is also an incredible actor, he has nailed every single role I have seen him in.

What do you think is his type? He is definitely an introvert; intensely private, hardly ever in the gossip pages, visibly uncomfortable promoting his movies.

Here are two interview sequences (one is of the first talk show he ever did in 2010, it took him almost a decade to finally go on a talk show to promote a movie, also in that sequence his Irish accent comes out really strong):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfzUNzmmWwo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4BL5IOecvE

This video just shows photos of him, I think he has this distinctive INxx "far-away look" going on here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8_PRVt_ug&feature=fvst

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He's great. Have you seen The Wind That Shakes the Barley? One of the most gripping films I've seen. I saw him on stage in Dublin years ago, in The Playboy of the Western World, that was cool.

I would have thought he was INTx but really not sure... He has an unusual vibe for an actor.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would have thought he was INTx but really not sure... He has an unusual vibe for an actor.

More inclined toward the INFJ, especially with the intense privacy and master of his roles. I think he's nailed any role I've seen him in as well. But I'm not sure. He definitely is one of those who masks himself publicly.

The first movie I saw him in was 28 Days Later.

I really liked him in Sunshine. There was also this little gem called Peacock that was fairly recent, where he played both John and Emma (a person with a type of dissociative disorder), it was kind of a tour de force.

He even almost took last year's In Time to another level, but the movie was just so bad (script-wise) that he couldn't pull it off. It was disappointing, but he tried.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
He's my type.

/thread

(but srsly gaiz. I think his attention to detail with acting is amazing, the subtle mannerisms in his face between characters is something that stands out to me. How private he is has a big factor in my thinking he's an introvert. IxxJ vote for me.)

Lightyear

I saw him on stage in Dublin years ago, in The Playboy of the Western World, that was cool.

I am going to see him next week on the London stage in Misterman, check out the National Theatre. Am stupidly excited. :)

Why do you think he has an unusual vibe as an actor? From an Enneagram point of view I think he is a 4w3 sp/sx (which would not be untypical for an actor at all) but I could obviously be wrong.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am going to see him next week on the London stage in Misterman, check out the National Theatre. Am stupidly excited. :)

Why do you think he has an unusual vibe as an actor? From an Enneagram point of view I think he is a 4w3 sp/sx (which would not be untypical for an actor at all) but I could obviously be wrong.

Oh, nice!

He just seems very very contained. The energy is all below the surface. I work in an institution partly for training actors and they tend to be soooo out there. Always loud and bubbly and projecting. ;) More extroverts, and even the introverts have a more outward energy than introverts normally would. That's how I see it anyway. But you know, I didn't get a chance to look at those interviews you posted, yet...

Lightyear

But you know, I didn't get a chance to look at those interviews you posted, yet...

He is not very extroverted in interviews at all, it would be very easy to underestimate him when for example only seeing him in the first interview I posted and never having seen him act.

Also this YouTube video made me laugh; many, many shots of Cillian Murphy looking bored and uncomfortable while having to do promotion for his movies (look at his eyes from 0:48 onwards, he is about to fall asleep):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlmQAFzb3pA

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IxFP or INTJ maybe 9w8 Sp/Sx

Lightyear

I am now leaning towards ISTP with him. A lot of his acting seems to be centred around perfecting mannerisms, which makes me think he is using a lot of Se. Also the following interview is hilarious, doing publicity is so not his thing, he comes across as very matter-of-fact and there is an underlying sarcasm and he is trying to answer gracefully but not really succeeding (low Fe?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWq2wXGH0Zg

I also liked this article, his answer to why he chose to turn from being an agnostic into an atheist make me think that he is a T, since for him it's all about being rational. Also there is a certain abruptness to him in interviews, again he doesn't seem to employ a whole lot of Fe:

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/killing-time-with-cillian-murphy

Lightyear

I just read this interview with Cillian Murphy about his new movie Red Lights (it's about investigating the paranormal, the trailer looks horrible though, am not sure I want to put myself through that): http://www.indielondon.co.uk/Film-Review/red-lights-cillian-murphy-interview

This part of the interview made me laugh out loud because he sounds so T that it almost hurts (he reminds me of a friend of mine who is an INTx, a fundamentalist atheist and a bit of a maths genius, I read this quote and thought "Cillian and my friend should start a book club or something, they sound identical.")

Q. Do you give credence to them [psychics] or are you completely sceptical?

Cillian Murphy: No, I’m completely sceptical. I’m kind of boringly rational, or pedantically rational. I’ve never seen anything than can’t be explained. Maybe I’m too involved in life to be worried about these things. But as I said, it’s when people are in vulnerable positions and they really start looking into this world that causes problems.

Q. So, you came across nothing that made you even doubt for a second?

Cillian Murphy: No. I did this other film, Sunshine, which was kind of about religion and science. There’s a crossover I think in terms of the subject matter and I spent a lot of time with these scientists. So, I really believe that we should be curious and always open but in order for something to be taken seriously there has to be empirical evidence. You can’t just claim something.

I also saw Cillian Murphy perform onstage in a one-man-show called Misterman in April and this man is a force of nature, he spent 90 minutes running across the stage, fighting with himself (literally), cursing, spitting, reciting the Bible, looking lovestruck, impersonating a whole Irish village (brilliantly I have to say) etc. I think there is a massive amount of Se there, so I am sticking with ISTP for his type. He is incredibly normal and down-to-earth in real life but magnetic as a performer.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cillian Murphy is most well-known for playing Scarecrow in "Batman Begins" and heir Robert Fischer in "Inception" and also for having one of the most distinctive faces in Hollywood. He is also an incredible actor, he has nailed every single role I have seen him in.

I'm fine with an IN read (and he usually comes off as INF to me).

The only role I've seen him falter in was the Time Cop in the movie "In Time" from last year. But I don't think that was his fault, the movie SUCKED and singlehandedly he tried to lift the movie out of the sewer. It was just too heavy to get it out.

I note you're all suddenly classing him as ISTP.... I just don't get that perception, but I'll leave the discussion to you as I don't have time to watch all the videos.

whitelion

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3

lucky you :) how was it?

anyway, I think he's definitely INxx and maybe a T?

Lightyear

lucky you :) how was it?

anyway, I think he's definitely INxx and maybe a T?

It was two years ago but it was great! :) Wasn't such a big fan of the play itself but he is an amazing actor.

Am now pretty sure he is an INFx (he once said in an interview that he even cries when watching nature documentaries on TV and his whole demeanour just comes across as F to me, so doubt he is a T) Am also pretty sure he is a 9 (probably 9w1); down-to-earth with hardly any ego involved, pragmatic, values his integrity more than being the most successful or most respected actor, very private and hates being the centre of attention and once said that he doesn't have some big plan or necessarily know what he wants, he only knows what he doesn't want, which is an incredible 9ish comment to make.